Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

2014 19' International
Salinas , California
2014 19’ Bambi - Grey & Black water sensors

My Grey and Black water sensors aren’t telling me what the tank levels are. They show empty, and then after about a months use the grey water tank light warning came on, then water started coming up in the shower. Is there a way for me to check the sensors? I was told to pour coca-cola down the sink after I empty the tank to help clean off the sensor inside the tank, but that didn’t work I don’t even know where the sensors are located. Any help is appreciated.
Rollin4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2014 19’ Bambi - Grey & Black water sensors

No on the Coca Cola. Just no.
First, you need to know what kind of sensors you have. Probably Micropulse. Then, read up on how to calibrate them. If that works, you are in better shape than most. If that doesn’t work, consider replacing them with See Level II sensors.
Another point: you have to become an active participant in the “life” of your RV. Read up. Educate yourself in how to at least understand what’s going on and have some idea what’s wrong when things don’t work as they should. Your tanks are not bottomless unlimited storage devices. Camping and/or. living with an RV is quite different from a house, apartment, hotel room, or tent. You have to be an active participant in the experience.

You’ll get the hang of it, don’t worry! Best wishes to you for better experiences ahead.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A number of years ago, I changed to Micropulse sensors hoping they would be better than the simple contact sensors our 2002 19" came with. They worked for maybe a year and the one for the freshwater tank still sort of works.

I now guess at the level of the graywater tank. The level of the blackwater tank you can see by looking down through the toilet when the water is turned off. At least ours is that way and it is important because we have a very small blackwater tank.

Eventually I will install the See Level system.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 AM   #4

We had our dealer change us over from the standard Micropulse sensors in our 2014 model, which never ever worked, to See Level II. The new sensors generally work very well indeed. We're quite happy with them.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The black tank level can be viewed every time you step on the toilet-pedal during flush. When you can see contents during the flush.... it's time to dump.

Grey tank level is full when the shower pan holds water.

Those are the most dependable methods and you can waste a lot of time and money on the Micro-Pulse sensors.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another great post. Good advice.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

2014 19' International
Salinas , California
Thanks for the advice

Thank you Rocinante, Boxite, Tim A., and xrvr.

@Rocinante - your recommendation to read up. If I'm interpreting your advice, its to research as much as I can about my trailer online? The documentation I got with my trailer is pretty weak. I thought I'd try starting my research and digging into my trailer here. Do you have any suggestions on trust-worthy sources to get to know more about my specific model? Also, if you're ever passing through Salinas you should come check out the real Rocinante in the Steinbeck museum - it really brings his story to life to imagine him living with Charley inside there.

Cheers!
Rollin4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
tank sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin4eyes View Post
My Grey and Black water sensors aren’t telling me what the tank levels are. They show empty, and then after about a months use the grey water tank light warning came on, then water started coming up in the shower. Is there a way for me to check the sensors? I was told to pour coca-cola down the sink after I empty the tank to help clean off the sensor inside the tank, but that didn’t work I don’t even know where the sensors are located. Any help is appreciated.
Can anyone please tell us where the sensors are located and how to access them. Ours have never worked properly, but after 8 years of long road trips - we are now pretty good at "guestimating" but I would still like more information on where they are, how to change them and what reasonably priced robust ones to swap them out with..although we have learnt to live without them.

Also where is the inverter located in a 23ft intertantional? might want to upgrade it too. Many thanks to all
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

Thanks, re: the Steinbeck museum. It's on our list!

Stuff to read up on:
  • The Airstream-provided user manual. As bad as it is, it still provides some useful information. Oh, and any user manuals you find for any of the appliances that came with your Airstream.
  • Acquire and read "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming," by Rich Luhr
  • Acquire and refer, as needed, to "Airstream Life's (Nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance," by Rich Luhr
  • Yes, as you suggested, use this forum as a resource for finding answers to questions - both those you've thought to ask and those that have not occurred to you yet.
Best wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin4eyes View Post
Thank you Rocinante, Boxite, Tim A., and xrvr.

@Rocinante - your recommendation to read up. If I'm interpreting your advice, its to research as much as I can about my trailer online? The documentation I got with my trailer is pretty weak. I thought I'd try starting my research and digging into my trailer here. Do you have any suggestions on trust-worthy sources to get to know more about my specific model? Also, if you're ever passing through Salinas you should come check out the real Rocinante in the Steinbeck museum - it really brings his story to life to imagine him living with Charley inside there.

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Suggest going to the Airstream website and download the parts book and any service info on their website for your trailer. The parts book often show spatial relationships of the parts which helps when trouble shooting.

The micro pulse system has a probe sticking into the tank in question. The black tank's "contents" can accumulate on the probe insulating it from a proper reading. If one can access the wire connections of the probe by the tank, taking them apart, cleaning and covering with a dielectric grease and then securing might help the wiring.

The See Level system places stick on sensors on the outside of the tank, so it is possible to replace them and or reposition if necessary for accuracy.

There are services out there that will really clean the black tank of years of accumulation, but that is not an inexpensive deal and could even require dropping the tank in question.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote