Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #401
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Well, to be honest, I will be in present day jeans and tees. I don't have time to start a sewing project either. And on me, capris are hardly flattering.
COSTUME? Tell you what, I was looking at some old pictures of what we were wearing in the 50's.................jeans, tee shirts...........there were capris and "clam diggers" . Crew neck sweaters, sweat shirts, plaid shirts, Bermuda shorts, and new blue jeans were hot. But put on a white blouse, roll those jeans up, wear your Keds and your bobby socks, and you'll be there! I think I have all that stuff in my closet! Not a whole lot different from what I was wearing today. Some things never go out of style.

What they were wearing on safari in Nat'l Geographic: tan bermuda shorts, white t-shirt and tan shirt. And tan cloth hats.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #402
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Thursday evening

Are we on our own for dinner boondocking Thursday evening? Seems like I read something in the thread but can't find it now. What ever, just planning ahead a little.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #403
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sandy,

If you read the itinerary I sent out in the welcome letter you see that I was wanting to plan a dinner out on the town Thursday evening. I requested people let me know by the 9th, and so far have only our trailer, and one other trailer signed up for that. I planned to have dinner around 6pm, but we could have a little flexibility depending on arrival times.

After dinner it is back to Shawnee park, and we will have our fire dancer (Propane camp fire) for us to sit around, and tell some stories.

So...if anyone is interested out of the other 18 trailers set to attend the rally, let me know please.

Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I missed that somehow. We are open to whatever, dinner out on the town is fine with us. We will be there midafternoon at the latest so I guess you can count us in.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #405
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There has been a new online article posted online at a local Cape Girardeau website.

Feel free to check the link out.

Event Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Wally Byam's Airstream Caravan Across Africa

Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #406
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
We got an invitation!

Little did I know that having a travel trailer to attend the rally, at least one that is actually able to be pulled, was NOT a requirement. I'd been communicating with Steve about a few other different things and he said even though our trailer was not able to travel, we could still come as day trippers on Saturday or stay at a hotel. WOO - HOO! We're making a road trip and we'll be there on Saturday. I can't wait to meet everyone. I am so excited as I've been so impatient for next year to come so we could actually go on a rally that it never occured to me to just crash with a photo of our trailer and promise to bring it out when it's ready!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!!

Tina and Mike Nelson and daughter Leah (she's 15 an NOT at all sure about this TT thing. It's new for us and we keep telling her how WONDERFUL it will be - teenagers...)

1948 Curtis Wright - Vintage Kin
St. Louis, MO
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #407
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
My family is really looking forward to our first caravan and rally. We're new to the Airstreaming, I know it will be fun, Steve has worked tirelessly on this event.

Among the many reasons our family has a camper is the fact that our two daughters, 2 and 4, have an unknown blood disorder. What this means for the girls is since birth is they have a reduced immune system (for all of the medical savvy their ANC is zero). To all of us this means in their blood they do not carry the neutrofils to fight off infection. So the reason I bring this up is they should not be exposed to viruses or bacteria. We are extremely careful with them around people. So, if you're not feeling well, runny nose, fever etc. please allow yourself a little room around the girls.

They look and act perfectly healthy for which they are, but a virus and fever above 101.5 means a trip to the ER and possibly many needle pricks (which no one likes).

Please do not take offence to this or if we keep them a little more sheltered than most parents do but, right now we are extremely cautious going into sick season.

Having an Airstream allows us to travel in our own germs and use our own potty on the road while eating food we know who prepared it. This is great peace of mind. Not to mention the fact it looks cool!

We all look forward to meeting everyone at the rally.

Thanks,
Cory, Jami, Sophie and Aubrie
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #408
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Levi's, Duck Tails and Leather Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
COSTUME? Tell you what, I was looking at some old pictures of what we were wearing in the 50's.................jeans, tee shirts...........there were capris and "clam diggers" . Crew neck sweaters, sweat shirts, plaid shirts, Bermuda shorts, and new blue jeans were hot. But put on a white blouse, roll those jeans up, wear your Keds and your bobby socks, and you'll be there! I think I have all that stuff in my closet! Not a whole lot different from what I was wearing today. Some things never go out of style.

What they were wearing on safari in Nat'l Geographic: tan bermuda shorts, white t-shirt and tan shirt. And tan cloth hats.
At least there were Teddy's in South Africa. Toughies with an attitude.
Mean while back in the USA. A white T-shirt with rolled up sleves holding a pack of Camels. U-shaped taps on the toe and heal of our shoes. Clicky-clack, clicky-clack. Tan chinos, slicked hair or flat-tops. Levis, no belts. Looking cool.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #409
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
At least there were Teddy's in South Africa. Toughies with an attitude.
Mean while back in the USA. A white T-shirt with rolled up sleves holding a pack of Camels. U-shaped taps on the toe and heal of our shoes. Clicky-clack, clicky-clack. Tan chinos, slicked hair or flat-tops. Levis, no belts. Looking cool.
You guys, maybe. I never had a pack of cigs in MY tee shirt sleeve!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #410
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
My family is really looking forward to our first caravan and rally. We're new to the Airstreaming, I know it will be fun, Steve has worked tirelessly on this event.

Among the many reasons our family has a camper is the fact that our two daughters, 2 and 4, have an unknown blood disorder. What this means for the girls is since birth is they have a reduced immune system (for all of the medical savvy their ANC is zero). To all of us this means in their blood they do not carry the neutrofils to fight off infection. So the reason I bring this up is they should not be exposed to viruses or bacteria. We are extremely careful with them around people. So, if you're not feeling well, runny nose, fever etc. please allow yourself a little room around the girls.

They look and act perfectly healthy for which they are, but a virus and fever above 101.5 means a trip to the ER and possibly many needle pricks (which no one likes).

Please do not take offence to this or if we keep them a little more sheltered than most parents do but, right now we are extremely cautious going into sick season.

Having an Airstream allows us to travel in our own germs and use our own potty on the road while eating food we know who prepared it. This is great peace of mind. Not to mention the fact it looks cool!

We all look forward to meeting everyone at the rally.

Thanks,
Cory, Jami, Sophie and Aubrie
As a med lab technologist, I understand what you are saying. In the medic family we are all feeling pretty healthy currently, especially the 5 year old. He does have allergies to pollen/ragweed and may sneeze. I will try and dose him up on lots of Zyrtec before your arrival since there will only be the three little ones playing.

We look forward to meeting everyone.

Steve
Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #411
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Neither did I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
You guys, maybe. I never had a pack of cigs in MY tee shirt sleeve!
I didn't smoke
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #412
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
No one has yet mentioned the black pants with the pink stripe down the leg or the Ivy League pants with the little buckle in the back. Now that was fashion.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #413
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
No one has yet mentioned the black pants with the pink stripe down the leg or the Ivy League pants with the little buckle in the back. Now that was fashion.
What about the hair? I no longer have any ...

Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #414
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post

Bob
That's OK, Bob. My hair is long enough to count for both of us.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #415
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post

Bob
I refuse to sleep in curlers so I can have my hair in a pageboy again. Maybe I can find my curling iron.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #416
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
That's OK, Bob. My hair is long enough to count for both of us.
I've heard of comb overs but this is ridiculous ...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #417
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I put a strict no no on poodle skirts for this event.

NO POODLE SKIRTS!

Steve
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #418
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
i put a strict no no on poodle skirts for this event.

No poodle skirts!

Steve
yor are so strict!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #419
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I put a strict no no on poodle skirts for this event.

NO POODLE SKIRTS!

Steve
How about "can-can" slips under full skirts? I think I remember I used to wear three of them under my skirts. It's a wonder any of us could get thru the halls in highschool with all those puffy skirts!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #420
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bob,

After I went to your house Sunday and you greeted us in your poodle skirt saying, "How ya like my kilt?", I must say I was kinda worried. Since you put a great deal of effort into making that kilt...you can wear it.

Steve

Tags
cairo, capetown, caravan, midwest, rally