Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
EAA Airventure Rally-Oshkosh?

We're fairly new owner and WBCCI member, and wondered if any Units typically organize Rally to attend EAA Airventure Air SHow event in Oshkosh WI in late July/early August... We were hoping to combine trip to Glacier Park in Canada with trip to Oshkosh, and looking for place to stay..

>> I am aware that there is organized camping at airport site organized by EAA, but wondered if there were any separate setups for Airstream...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
EAA Airventure Rally-Oshkosh?

Greetings John!

One of the Wisconsin Units of the WBCCI was responsible for an annual EAA Fly-In Rally for a number of years. The last one was hosted several years ago. I believe that there was some talk of reviving the Rally, but haven't heard about the status of the revival. I do know that the rally was a popular but was never able to work it into my travel plans as it usually conflicted with work committments. You might try monitoring the Rally Connection at the WBCCI site to see if there is any information forthcoming. The page is at the following:

WBCCI Rally and Caravan Schedule

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Solo Rally to Oshkosh..

I've followed Kevan's suggestions, and monitored WBCCI sites, but it seems neither national nor local groups are planning run to Oshkosh this year... In deference to demands for amperage and A/C, we'll be at KOA in Fond du Lac last 4 days in July for EAA Airventure, after solo rally across Idaho through Glacier National Park and Lake Louise/Banff Springs...

John McG

WBCCI/AOPA/EAA/CJMC/ICS Member... (Sigh - Maybe that's the problem??)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I think you alluded to the problem, John. Oshkosh is a tough event for all but serious boondockers. No hookups at all for 5+ days tends to scare off a lot of people. Sort of like Burning Man, but for airplane nuts.

But I'd do it. Last time we went, we tent camped next to our Piper in a field of 12,000 airplanes. It's an "aluminum fever" event that event blows away the WBCCI International Rally! I remember being woken up at 6 a.m. by a flight of warbirds in low-altitude diamond formation one morning. The roar was incredible. It was a formidable experience, to say the least.

Hey John, maybe 2005? There are a few airplane nuts on this forum including myself, Hohne, and Chuck. Plan a trip and announce it here -- you might be happily surprised by the response.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
hey, I'd LOVE to go....BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?)...it would be hard to convince the wife. what can I say? she just doesn't have "the bug". (for airplanes, or airstreams either, for that matter). not to mention the 1000+ miles to Wisconsin.

Oh, well. perhaps when my boy is older, just the 2 of us can go. But then, I'd probably rather arrive in an airplane. In any case, it is a pilgrimage that we all have to make eventually, and I have yet to do that. its on my list!

You know, I might have better luck convincing the wife to go to "Sun 'n Fun", down in Lakeland, FL.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Exclamation

If anyone is going to EAA Airventure this year, and feels capable of taking photos and/or writing an article about the experience, please get in contact with us. We'd like to run an article about it at some point.
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is a horse farm that is near the Airport that has a small area setup for RV's. Edie may remember the name. They have power and water. The fees were reasonable too. Chuck, maybe your wife could hang around the horses, while you go hang around the planes? They have shows there, and I think offer riding too......

I will have to ask her what the name of the place was.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Thumbs up Eaa

We have been to EAA in July twice for 4 days, a few years back and last year...WOW! What fun!! That was before we got our A/S. Now it would even be better as we would not have to fight for lodging if a campground or farm were available. It has to be CLOSE though as you could spend a lot of time in line to park if you have to travel some. Sounds like a plan. We would come again. As I am married to a pilot who loves the war birds (not his era, just an admirer) There is NOTHING like sitting on the tarmac watching the planes takeoff and land all day long Then there is the highlight of the show where they get all the warbirds in the air and "BOMB" the field!!
I could go on and on but...anyway, yes we would come in our A/S
Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bummer...this one sounds like a bunch of fun....we'll be in or near the Makinaw midwest rally.

Next year though, we'll do our best to make that one.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
hey, I'd LOVE to go....BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?)...it would be hard to convince the wife. what can I say? she just doesn't have "the bug". (for airplanes, or airstreams either, for that matter). not to mention the 1000+ miles to Wisconsin.

Oh, well. perhaps when my boy is older, just the 2 of us can go. But then, I'd probably rather arrive in an airplane. In any case, it is a pilgrimage that we all have to make eventually, and I have yet to do that. its on my list!

You know, I might have better luck convincing the wife to go to "Sun 'n Fun", down in Lakeland, FL.
I have been to the FL event a couple times. Always flew in for the day then back to Atlanta. Was always a good time. Next door neighbor when I was a kid took me. He would set up the nav computer tell me to turn when it beeped and wake him up if anything happend or it showed 1/4 tank of fuel and he would go to sleep...I was 15 LOL . Fist year was in a Cesna 182 and he sold that and bought a Moonie. Moonie was fun plane.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
He would set up the nav computer tell me to turn when it beeped and wake him up if anything happend or it showed 1/4 tank of fuel and he would go to sleep....

I just gotta say

is this guy still alive?

I've met people that set the auto-pilot, and indulge in a nap. I'll never understand that. (and you guys think towing with a mini-van or slightly underpowered truck is dangerous. LOL!!! )

I had a friend who had a "Mooney". Very slick airplane...both literally, and figureatively.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I just gotta say

I had a friend who had a "Mooney". Very slick airplane...both literally, and figureatively.
My brother is a pilot and for a while was the director of the Mooney Aircraft owners organization. He used to make that Oshkosh an annual affair. We passed the airport on the way up to Door County Wi, a couple of years ago.

I've got friend in Lincoln Nebraska who flew in the military and was the chief pilot for Banker's Life. At the end of his career he was flying a Grumman Gulfstream I. We met him in Branson this fall and the man just fell in love with my Safari. All he could do is walk around touching the aluminum and the rivits. He was smitten. I told him that this was my airplane..

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yes, but now with your Classic Jack, it's now been upgraded from an airplane to a Gulfstream!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Oshkosh or Bust...

Well, it's at least encouraging to see other members aware and interested and considering.. It's been 14 years since I've been to aerial equivalent of Lourdes and Mecca combined.. Tent camping in wet field was fun after flying Comanche in solo from Calif, but won't work with non-flying wife. Dry (wet??) camping in EAA campground on airport or in local parks (even with electrical hookups, air conditioning use is prohibited during week of show..), so we're booked into KOA with pool and surplus of amps down in Fond du Lac, and I'll be stuck in lines with tow vehicle to park.

We traveled to Sun n Fun FLy-in at Lakeland FL last year for 1 1/2 days after business trip from CA into Jacksonville, and stayed in local motel. Florida event much more hospitable, and weather in early April less likley to be hot and muggy and buggy.. Only about 7,000 planes fly in, and 400,000 people through turnstiles, compared to 50% larger crowds at Oshkosh.... Both are impressive to see things people have built over years of effort, and then boldly jumped in and flown across the US, in many cases...

We'll wave to some of other caravans in Glacier Nat'l Park area and Lake Louise and Idaho on way to Oshkosh (that was incentive to get trip started...) and welcome any joiners to check out KOA in Fond Du Lac. We may publish cell phone number for get together if others are heading that way in July. Maybe it's simpler to just rent a 3KW generator for A/C and boondocking at the airport, but I'm not sure I could get it in and out of the Suburban..

John McG

Old 04-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi John,

We're thinking of going to Oskosh and trying to get into the KOA you mentioned. The spots are probably gone, but I am going to call tomorrow and check.

We just got our A/S MH a few weeks ago. We are both private pilots and have always wanted to go to Oshkosh. We attended Sun N Fun in Lakeland 4 or 5 times... The last time was in 1990. If we can get into the KOA, and stuff like work doesn't get in the way, we'll hook up with you there. We live and NH and it looks like we'll be coming from the other coast...

Kathy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We can not go this year to EAA... Certainly hope to go again next year
It is the BEST air show in the Country...far superior to any others we have seen, and that is many..I would stay on the grounds if possible even to dry camp, as it is WOW being right in the middle of all those wonderful planes buzzing in and out of the field. We were near (2 miles) last year and were able to sneak in the back way, miss the traffic, park way up front, easy in and out....the museum is a must see too..take a ride on an experimental plane, fun...I know you all will have a wonderful time...maybe we can make it again next year, maybe there will be an Airstream Rally in place then...Kate
Old 04-27-2004, 07:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have flown into the EAA convention many times in my old Bonanza (destroyed since by hail while on the ground) and would caution anyone interested in flying in...

- VFR traffic converges over Ripon, WI in a most unsafe manner. If OSH is closed for short periods to allow the sorting of arrivals, and traffic continues to arrive at or near Ripon, the subsequent reopening of the field results in an air traffic nightmare. I highly recommend against VFR, unless you can devise an off-peak arrival.

- IFR is much easier. They assign you a time slot, you arrive close to that time, you avoid the whole Ripon mess and work into the flow on downwind. Time slots are limited and advanced reservations are required.

Oshkosh is a treat to anyone interested in airplanes! I will not be able to go this year.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Cool Campgounds in Oshkosh area

For Kathy (Bugsbunny..) we booked KOA over their website 2 months ago, as campground itself doesn't open and managers don't arrive to check messages until May.. There are others closer among 10 or so campgrounds listed by Oshkosh Visitor's Bureau, though many do not offer enough electricity to run the magic cool box on the roof... Listings are at http://www.oshkoshcvb.org/eaa.cfm after all the hotel and motel listings within 50 miles...

For $40 you can join EAA and camp on airport in "Camp Scholler" which is 1 mile square grass field, with showers and stores at edges, but no hookups, and daily rate around $15... No reservations, it's first come first served, and very "communal". I'm betting there will be boondocking Airstreams there, and there is a section partitioned for generator use, that may permit them past midnight...

Having flown in 14 years ago, and read stories of last few years, arrivals and departures are not for the inexperienced, the incompetent or insecure... Even if 1 pilot in 1,000 is grossly unqualified that means a near disaster every few hours, as 10,000 small aircraft try to squeeze in starting over the same water tower in Ripon over a 2 day period... The FAA sit on top of the tower with binoculars and radios and a sense of humor, enjoying the show mostly, until some buffoon can't maintain speed or altitude or heading and traffic patterns get scrambled..

JB McG