Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #361
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I've had this happen before, I think there needs to be a well established generator section!
I have no difficulty in asking someone to sit off a generator!
The weather is perfect, no need to heat or cool, there us no real need to run a generator, except for having bad batteries, which is remedied by buying new batteries! I'd talk to Linda or Jim. No need to suffer through this issue!

Sent from my airPod
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Best I could get with my iPhone. If they would let me on the roof, I know I could get a better shot. Could not get around corner of building. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412535787.701582.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	223705

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #363
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Tried that, but its Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412553474.852582.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	703.7 KB
ID:	223736not that great a shot. Perhaps if you ask permission to go through the administrative offices door you could have better luck.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Tried to do just that, but he flared up before I even had a chance. I understand that lots of folks rely on their generators, especially for air conditioning. But, the weather here is glorious and we are parked very tightly. I agree, we need to make an effort to get along.
I find this amazing since we were there last year and since it was cool; we only ran our generator around dinner time just long enough to recharge the batteries. That was just an hour or so. Keeping them away from bothering other Airstreamers is just plain courtesy and they should be ashamed that they are able and allowed to intrude on your enjoyment.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Balloon Fiesta is the first outing with our new 325 watt solar system. The batteries draw down to 94-95% by morning and are back up to 100% by noon. The Fall New Mexico sun has been more than enough to keep our two 220ah batteries topped off. Our electrical needs seem average given the weather conditions.

We decided on solar primarily because we didn't want to breathe generator fumes or subject fellow campers to bad air.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #366
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Few from the back rows this morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bfp1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	223779   Click image for larger version

Name:	bfp2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	223780  

Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #367
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Beautiful photos being posted here and on Facebook. Thanks to all the posters.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #368
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Is this gathering at Enchanted RV park? I'm coming for the 2nd weekend with my 72 Argosy, but will be staying up at Taos at Monte Bello. Hope to get down to ABQ to see some balloons. Maybe I'll stop by your location to see some of the folks on this forum.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #369
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Tried that, but its not that great a shot. Perhaps if you ask permission to go through the administrative offices door you could have better luck.
Here's one from last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	223789  
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #370
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
From overhead

Cindy was fortunate to get a ride in a hot air balloon this morning; here's a couple photos she took while floating over the Airstream assembly...

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #371
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
A BIG thank you to all who posted their great photos. We were not able to get up in a balloon this year so loved your perspective!

cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The Revenge of the Generator People

Generators really were out of control this year.
The weather was so nice there was no need for AC during the day or furnace in the early morning.
I ran my Yamaha for 40 minutes in the mid-morning each day to recharge batteries, and that was plenty
That said, we have never had so many Airstreamers run generators all day long, from 5:00AM to 10:00PM, as we had this year.
Some guy two spaces down ran two Hondas all afternoon yesterday while he sat in his Airstream and watched the football game.
As MomcatA has mentioned, it could have been great weather for sitting inside or outside and catching a breeze. Grills were a problem too. Especially if you left your windows open and the fantastic fan running when you went down to the field.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #373
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We totally agree. Our time was marred by someone running a construction generator all day from their van with their van back doors open. It was so loud that we ate a couple aisles down. I must compliment them though because when someone complained they turned it off and then only occasionally ran a smaller quieter one that they must have borrowed. I don't think people realize how the sound travels.

cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had generators running by the Airstreams on either side of us several times each day and sometimes to 10pm cut off time. This was not a quiet place. The ballon burners over head masked the generator noise some Saturday and Monday.

We were able to leave the inverter on all the time, run the microwave to bake potatoes, run a WiFi hot spot and recharge phones and computers and the batteries were recharged for the next night. We saw over 400 watts charging several times during mid morning and mis afternoon.

The forum solar guru Lewster was there and he helped a lot of folks over the weekend. He gave our Magnum a few settings tweaks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #375
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I would like to apologize to anyone we offended by our generator usage. We were dry camping for the first time in our NEW AS. Our batteries would not hold a charge. We tried to be EXTREMELY conscious of our energy usage but the batteries were still dead each morning. After several days, our neighboring experienced AS owners took a look at it. This coincided with the passing by of the Interstate battery car. They had tools with them, took a peek, and determined that the batteries in our brand new AS were dead. They quickly replaced the batteries. Unfortunately, we were instructed to run our generators to top off the charge in the new batteries.

I say all of this to offer a different perspective to the conversation. We tried to be as considerate as possible. We certainly would have complied if someone had said something about it and we did consult with those around us when we did have to turn it on. We are very grateful for the help and advice that we received from our neighbors. We will return next year, hopefully, and attend other rallies because of the friendliness and camaraderie of these fine people.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Please enjoy this Rally.

Hi, we went to the Balloon Fiesta several years ago; It was our most expensive trip ever at that time. We bought a brand new Yamaha 2400 generator and a new Canon SLR digital camera, not to mention the Rally cost. We loved it and had a great time. People need to get along better. This was our first time boon docking and it was quite hot at times, so we needed our air conditioner. [hot is different to people from different areas of this country] During the pot luck, some guy said "who's generator is that running and making all that noise; They need to shut it off or I'll do it for them." I said it was mine and if it bothered people, I would shut it off myself. Ask me nicely and I will try to make things good. You touch my trailer or generator without my permission, I might run it forever just to piss you off. There was a nice older couple next to us that got pissed off and left early because someone started a heated political argument.

People, there are lots of Airstreamers there and they don't all think and live like you do. Lighten up or if you can't get along with crowds, stay home. Everyone wants to enjoy this rally so be kinder or helpful.

A strong wind blew my rear vent lid and broke it. A very nice man loaned me his ladder so I could go on top of my trailer and duct tape the broken lid in place until I got home and fixed it properly. A few hours after the duct tape fix, it stormed all night long. I thanked this man several times.

I want to go again and I will bring my Yamaha 2400 with me, but I won't accept rudeness from anyone. I hope people wanting to go to this wonderful event in the future will read these posts and figure out how to be nice, helpful, or mind your own damn business.

Note: my posts are usually nicer, but some of these post struck a nerve with me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #377
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I keep hoping this generator topic on this thread would cease and die - but since it won't I will add the comments of the organizers - the balloon fiesta is not by any means a quiet event - there are generators, flying airplanes - helicopters with search lights at night - flood lights that come on at 4am that have their own loud generators, fireworks, garbage trucks at 3am, balloon swooshing overhead, mounted rangers on horses walking the rally site in the middle of the night, dogs barking, loud parties, people playing musical instruments, someone blasting the song up up and away over loudspeakers (ok I admit to that one ) on and on - in short everyone having a great time - we have over 400 attendees at our event and over 100,000 attending the event on the field each morning - it is an incredible experience that only those who have attended know about - I am very sorry that some feel they have to leave or will never attend a large rally again, from the feedback we get I would say 99.99999% of those who have attended this great event absolutely love the magical experience of the 500+ balloons in all shapes sizes and colors and plan to come back again - so given all of this I would appreciate it if we could get back to taking about the incredible time we had, sharing pictures and talking about how we can't wait to do it all over again next year -

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #378
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Ken for putting all this into perspective. Never having attended we are
planning / hoping to attend next year using either the caravan or rally as the mechanism to make that happen. We have been to several large rallys but nothing on the scale of this one so I had no idea of what to expect so thank you for putting a realistic spin on it for me. Fortunately our health is good and we have boondocked many times and don't need any health related power hungary 120v equipment. I do carry a generator for those times but can easily get away with not having to use it. Prior to traveling I would check my batteries. They will be 4 yrs. old by next year and may have reached their expected reliable life. We were pop-up and tent campers in our past lives so maybe that had prepared us better for a minimalist camping style and so long as the weather does not require AC we're good. Now, having been monitoring this thread I feel comfortable that I can attend an event of this magnitude and be better prepared to have a great time. Whether I would do it again remains to be seen.

Thanks Ken and all contributors for enlightening me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #379
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wonderful !!! We look forward to seeing each and everyone of you - I should add one more thing - I am looking forward to the first shower in 4 days ! But then that may be TMI lol !!

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #380
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Should have joined us back in row I. The only annoying noise we had was from the buildings AC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bft1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	223875