Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
2018 Wally Byam Airstream Club International Rally

The Wally Byam Airstream Club 2018 International Rally will be June 17-30 in Salem, OR. More information and registration now available at the WBCCI website http://bit.ly/2uAZG1f
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Got a few more hours before you can register online (starts today at 2pm EDT).

I've been roughing out how long it would take to get there and back, and I figure from New Orleans metro area it's eight days driving each way. And since my travel these days is drive a day, rest a day, drive a day, rest a day, that's 15 days to drive 8 days, each way, to attend a rally that only lasts 6 days, with up to 4 days of advance parking depending on my assigned arrival date.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy the trip a lot more than I'll enjoy the rally, since I wasn't terribly impressed with either International I attended before. I prefer my rally activities to be less regimented and less about club business. But driving across 9 states and camping in 6 of them is as good a reason as any to make the trip even if I don't enjoy the rally itself. Only camping in 6 states each way because one stop along the way will be my kid brother's house in Oklahoma.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Protag,

We plan on attending the Salem Rally, the one in 2006 was our first. We enjoy the rally as we are able to see friends from all over the country. We use the time traveling to enjoy the country and see some new areas. We plan on going on to Canada for the week after the International in Salem. Hope to see you again.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Got a few more hours before you can register online (starts today at 2pm EDT).

I've been roughing out how long it would take to get there and back, and I figure from New Orleans metro area it's eight days driving each way. And since my travel these days is drive a day, rest a day, drive a day, rest a day, that's 15 days to drive 8 days, each way, to attend a rally that only lasts 6 days, with up to 4 days of advance parking depending on my assigned arrival date.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy the trip a lot more than I'll enjoy the rally, since I wasn't terribly impressed with either International I attended before. I prefer my rally activities to be less regimented and less about club business. But driving across 9 states and camping in 6 of them is as good a reason as any to make the trip even if I don't enjoy the rally itself. Only camping in 6 states each way because one stop along the way will be my kid brother's house in Oklahoma.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Just finished registering, one RV, one adult (and one indoor cat for free), in the 30-amp+water+pump-out section.

And I already figured out my entire route to and from Salem— and already blocked out the trip on my calendar. Leaving home June 6th, 2018, returning home July 14th, 2018. It will be my longest trip ever in terms of both time and distance. Unless I go on an even longer trip between now and then, of course.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Just finished registering, one RV, one adult (and one indoor cat for free), in the 30-amp+water+pump-out section.

And I already figured out my entire route to and from Salem— and already blocked out the trip on my calendar. Leaving home June 6th, 2018, returning home July 14th, 2018. It will be my longest trip ever in terms of both time and distance. Unless I go on an even longer trip between now and then, of course.

Based on travel this summer from Atlanta to points West I am quite confident that driving 380 to 415 miles a day we can make Salem fairgrounds in 6.5 to 7 driving days. We will stop for R&R two or three days on the way out, so a total of 8.5 to 10 days, depending.

Wondering whether to take I-80 down into Salt Lake Valley and lose all that elevation, or to go off interstate I-80 in South West Wyoming and cut across to Idaho and skip dropping into Utah entirely. Used to do that in a car but don't remember the road condition well enough to know whether to take our Airstream that way.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
Wondering whether to take I-80 down into Salt Lake Valley and lose all that elevation, or to go off interstate I-80 in South West Wyoming and cut across to Idaho and skip dropping into Utah entirely. Used to do that in a car but don't remember the road condition well enough to know whether to take our Airstream that way.
From New Orleans— not quite a direct route because I will make a small detour to visit my brother along the way— my trip planner says 2625 miles one-way. Seven intermediate stops along the way for eight total driving days. My last stop will be relatively close to Salem, so I can be sure to arrive early enough at the State Fairgrounds to avoid staying in the bullpen overnight. Otherwise I could do it easily in six intermediate stops and seven driving days.

On the way there, I'm planning to stick to Interstate highways and trusted US Highways. On the way back, where my arrival date at home can be changed on a whim, I may take a more scenic route on some less-traveled roads. So on the way there, I'm dropping down into Utah on the Interstate in MY Interstate. On the way back, who knows?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
What are the chances of being able to register even if one is not part of this club? We would be willing to pay a premium for a spot so that we could get an idea what's this club is like?
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarStreaming View Post
What are the chances of being able to register even if one is not part of this club? We would be willing to pay a premium for a spot so that we could get an idea what's this club is like?
Just join the club for one year, before January 1st 2018. You can do it online. The membership dues ARE the premium you'd pay over and above the rally fees to attend the rally in Salem next year. No need for a special "guest" registration for non-members.

Then if you like the rally, renew your membership for the following year, in the same or a different Unit. If you don't like it, you can drop out of the club and be done. The existing members who meet you would miss you, but most would understand your desire to quit.

And if you do join WBCCI so you can attend the rally in Salem, you're welcome to completely ignore the club business and club politics if you like, and just attend the social events at the rally. Unless you're a club officer, attendance is not mandatory at any rally function except the on-site registration (yes, even though you register online in advance, you still have to register again in person when you get there, but at least then you're already paid up and the forms are mostly already filled out).
Old 07-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Registered last night. I had a trip sort of planned to visit friends in Portland. I haven't figured out R&R stops, just travel days. It looks like 11 travel days from Melbourne Beach to Salem by the most efficient route (3343 miles) with two short travel days to visit friends and relatives.

We've never made a trip this long, so I don't have a clue how many days we can go without a lay day to rest up, maybe three days driving, one resting?

Then we have to decide whether we want to do a northern or southern return. We lived in El Paso in 1970 and visited the Grand Canyon while on leave. I lived in Louisiana and we did the Cajun Country Caravan last year so I'm leaning to a northern return. Open to suggestions for return routing.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just join the club for one year, before January 1st 2018. You can do it online. The membership dues ARE the premium you'd pay over and above the rally fees to attend the rally in Salem next year. No need for a special "guest" registration for non-members.

Then if you like the rally, renew your membership for the following year, in the same or a different Unit. If you don't like it, you can drop out of the club and be done. The existing members who meet you would miss you, but most would understand your desire to quit.

And if you do join WBCCI so you can attend the rally in Salem, you're welcome to completely ignore the club business and club politics if you like, and just attend the social events at the rally. Unless you're a club officer, attendance is not mandatory at any rally function except the on-site registration (yes, even though you register online in advance, you still have to register again in person when you get there, but at least then you're already paid up and the forms are mostly already filled out).
Thanks for the feedback I just joined WBCCI prior to this response, what do we have to loose, it's just money lol. I had to check my calendar again and it looks like I will be back from my yearly business trip a week before this event any may be too tired and still catching up work. I don't think I may able to squeeze this in and I don't think we are ready to boondock quite yet Of course life is ever changing so you never know, it's still early in our newbie stages of streaming and we are still learning something new everyday
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A rest day every three or four days extends the comfort of the trip immensely. Gets you a chance to do a reset, wash clothes, and puts your mind in order, check that tv over, check tires, oil etc.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
A rest day every three or four days extends the comfort of the trip immensely. Gets you a chance to do a reset, wash clothes, and puts your mind in order, check that tv over, check tires, oil etc.
One reason why I do "drive a day, rest a day, drive a day." The trip takes longer if every single waypoint stop is for two nights, but if I'm scheduling 10 months in advance anyway, I can block out as much time as I need— one side benefit to being retired. And you never know, every single stop might have something worth seeing or doing that I've never seen or done before, in addition to routine maintenance and household (RVhold?) chores.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:

Based on travel this summer from Atlanta to points West I am quite confident that driving 380 to 415 miles a day we can make Salem fairgrounds in 6.5 to 7 driving days. We will stop for R&R two or three days on the way out, so a total of 8.5 to 10 days, depending.

If you want some route recommendations through the real Oregon, not on I-84 or I-5, including awesome State Parks RV campgrounds, I'd be happy to help. Eastern and Central Oregon, then crossing the Cascades, are amazing! Scott in Oregon.
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestStranger View Post
If you want some route recommendations through the real Oregon, not on I-84 or I-5, including awesome State Parks RV campgrounds, I'd be happy to help. Eastern and Central Oregon, then crossing the Cascades, are amazing! Scott in Oregon.
I've been going by vehicle to and from Oregon since 1950, and driving myself since 1967, by car, by truck and trailer, etc. I usually go through Ontario, Burns, Bend/Sisters and over the Santiam Pass into my home town of Albany. I think I see the real Oregon. I drive interstate when I am trying to make miles and drive blue roads when I want scenery, though there is no interstate over the Santiam Pass so I do the best I can.

My ancestors came across the Cascades in 1846 on the new Barlow Road over the shoulder of Mt. Hood near Government Camp, and driving that road sometime without the Airstream is on my bucket list. Perhaps you could advise on what that road is like and whether you would take your Airstream over it.

At International in Salem look for me in the Vintage Section in a 1990 Excella 29' WBCCI 2456, would love to visit.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Howdy........this thread is pretty sparse....

We’re traveling and are in Oregon and can’t seem to get out! (Having too much fun) and so...we joined WBCCI yesterday AND signed up for the rally.

See y’all there!

Protagonist...hope to meet you so we can thank you in person for all your help when we were on the B van forum.

weirdstuff, aka Nancy
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Peachtree city , Georgia
Need help on west route.was thinking either 70 or 80 west then 84 through Idaho. Don't want to travel the heat on 40 west but would 70 or 80 or 4 be heavy duty mountain climbing??
25 ft. Airstream with tundra v8.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Tks
Muffinsam
muffinsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Peachtree city , Georgia
Quote:

We are also leaving Atlanta and wonder if 70,80 or 84 are not heavy duty mountain climbing..
Thought and suggested route?
Thanks
Muffinsam
muffinsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinsam View Post
We are also leaving Atlanta and wonder if 70,80 or 84 are not heavy duty mountain climbing..
Thought and suggested route? Thanks Muffinsam

We're leaving Atlanta soon and on I-80 you will have flat to rolling across Nebraska and then between Sidney NE and Cheyenne WY you will gain 2000' spread out over a fair distance, then between Cheyenne WY and Laramie WY you will gain another 1000' fairly quickly. Go down a gear or two and keep you rpms up and if you're having any difficulty stay in the right hand lane for that stretch. Then you'll drop to 6300' in Rock Springs and go back up to 6700' at Evanston WY, fairly gentle.

If you stay on I-80 you will drop precipitously (have good brakes!) down to nearly 4200' in the Salt Lake Valley, then changing to I-84 North on to Rupert ID at about 4600' and then downhill to Nampa ID at 2500'. I'll be getting off I-84 at Ontario OR and driving US 20 to Burns OR, then Bend, Sisters, and over the Santiam Pass down to Albany and Salem on I-5. Santiam Pass isn't bad at all in summer.

Travel well, and we'll see you in Salem.
+dcasr

Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Warning: Avoid Idaho 93 between the Nevada state line and Twin Falls, ID. Construction and a 57 minute hold time due to single lane access. Serious bummer on the polish job.
earlyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We are at Honeymann SP near Florence, OR. There are quite a few Airstreams dotted around this large campground waiting to head into Salem. We are not planning to attend but read the WBCII site about the event. Apparently, Salem has a water issue with algae and is not safe for pets, young children and elderly. It’s supposed to be resolved but the city hasn’t lifted the warning. The event will have bottled water outside the fairgrounds and a filtered water station inside.

Kelvin