Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
1959 22' Flying Cloud
weatherford , Texas
Level of trailers at rallies.

What levels of vintage trailers show up at the rallies? I have my 62 tradewind. Not polished etc. want to attend once up and running good. Just dont want to show with a trailer not ready for the big show!
Trophycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Trophy, you'll see empty shells with a raw plywood floor and air-mattress, and one of a kind finished trailers that are show cased in Airstream magazines, and art books. Take it!
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophycare View Post
What levels of vintage trailers show up at the rallies? I have my 62 tradewind. Not polished etc. want to attend once up and running good. Just dont want to show with a trailer not ready for the big show!

We attended the International WBCCI Rally in Bozeman last year with a functioning A/C, functioning refrigerator, one of two solar panels connected, installed water tank with unconnected water pump, installed toilet and black tank which we flushed with a bottle of water, temporary twin beds in the back, non functional stove, boxes for storage, daughter and friend slept on an air mattress in the front and our 10 week old granddaughter in a crib in the center, exterior partially polished around windows, incomplete screens, most windows functional, no usable gray tank, paint stripped off of the interior. Don't worry about the condition, just come and have a great time.

Just returned from the Region 12 rally with some improvement over Bozeman.

Our Liner is still an aluminum tent and we have taken it out several times since.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
"you'll see empty shells with a raw plywood floor and air-mattress"
As soon as mine is in the above condition, i'm taking it camping.

Don't worry what it looks like. It's not a beauty contest. Go, enjoy the people and have a great time!!

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Please do not worry about what it looks like, airstreamng is about having fun streamn along and meeting nice people. Anyone wanting to show off is not who i would want to be friendly with. Life is too short to think about what someone else has. Be happy for what you have and by all means have fun. gail
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree...don't worry about the condition...it's an Airstream...that's all that counts...and they come in all styles and "levels" of completion (if being restored) or shine (if being polished)...just go to the rally with your Airstream and have fun. And everyone else will too... We love to see 'em all...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Ditto

to all of the above. You'll see coaches in every condition imaginable.

There is a real advantage to bringing your rig BEFORE you are done restoring, etc.: a LOT of the folks at rallies have good ideas they'll happily share with you, and just looking at the variety of interior re-dos will a) give you more ideas, and b) will encourage you.

Hitch her up and get to a rally!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:

Why would you want to miss out on all the fun becfause you have a work in progress? Out Tradewind started showing up at rallies long before the wiring was done or water running! Many rally sites have bath & shower facilities. Don't forget; Wallies first trailer was nothing more than a tent on a flat foundation mounted to a Ford frame with two wheels.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
At the region 5 rally, we would have been the "worst", but there were many there not much better.. we didn't take ours, partly because I didn't want to hook up and pull all the way to the next town..lol (frame issues) but also because a few parts were hangin' out the bottom.. didn't pull to the Antsy rally either, because well, it really was like 5 miles away. so we just stopped by..

bottom line: everyone knows you are rolling vintage, and that means anything and everything may or may not work, be functional, be present, etc... and near as I can tell, they just care that you roll, and have fun. I have heard of many members who camped for sometime with nothing more then a shiny tent.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Go now before the trailer is finnished. You may just get some help ... or better ideas that will help in the long run.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
1959 22' Flying Cloud
weatherford , Texas
Man, Thats the answer I was looking for. Mine is ready then. (kinda). The Blanco rally is coming up in Texas. I will be solo! Mife spouses Idea of camping is the Holiday INN Vs. Hilton!!!! I might try that one! (Middle of hunting season ) Just didn't want to show up with a big brown paper bag over my trailer from embarrassment!!

Thanks Everyone!
Trophycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I go along with those who say that you may get ideas. Far better to see what others have done, ask how they did it, then stand back, listen, take notes and photos. People who have re-done their Airstreams are always happy to "spill the beans" on what and how things were done.

Equally important, you may also see things that you don't like.

An good question to ask is "Why did you do it that way?" and "Would you do it differently?"

Ask about plumbing and electrical changes.

Remember, the only "dumb question" is the one not asked.

Go for it!
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Go Go Go!

We took our maiden voyage with the 1992 21' Sovereign to the Heron Lake rally in Sept. Our trailer has tarp marks on the outside, a goofed up awning, and turns out our under-the-trailer plumbing had disconnected itself. Yes, we were with experienced Airstreamers, beautiful re-done vintage trailers, wonderful new Airstreams, pink flamingos, lawn furniture, outdoor carpeting, bikes, flags, grills, and all other camping do-dads. I felt like we were the Clampets going into Hollywood.

BUT we left the rally with a fixed awning, many good suggestions on how to fix the tarp marks, a mile-long list of items to get at Camping World, a long list of how to do things, first name recommendation for our Airstream dealer for the plumbing repairs, had a great education on Airstreams. Best of all, met some wonderful folks and are planning to meet up again at the New Years rally in AZ. We were made to feel welcome and everyone was so nice. :-)))
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
We took our maiden voyage with the 1992 21' Sovereign to the Heron Lake rally in Sept. Our trailer has tarp marks on the outside, a goofed up awning, and turns out our under-the-trailer plumbing had disconnected itself. Yes, we were with experienced Airstreamers, beautiful re-done vintage trailers, wonderful new Airstreams, pink flamingos, lawn furniture, outdoor carpeting, bikes, flags, grills, and all other camping do-dads. I felt like we were the Clampets going into Hollywood.

BUT we left the rally with a fixed awning, many good suggestions on how to fix the tarp marks, a mile-long list of items to get at Camping World, a long list of how to do things, first name recommendation for our Airstream dealer for the plumbing repairs, had a great education on Airstreams. Best of all, met some wonderful folks and are planning to meet up again at the New Years rally in AZ. We were made to feel welcome and everyone was so nice. :-)))

There ya go!
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Mine usally looks like its been beaten like a rented mule (which it has), but to me the important thing is the camping, not the camper. If you are at a rally that is more of a car show than a camp out, you are in the wrong place.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Go!
Get good ideas.
Meet nice people.
Have fun.

I took mine rough, it was welcome, lots of nice folk invited me in and I got lots of good ideas I later used.

In fact, they like all old trailers.

One thing you'll learn:
Airstreams are never finished!
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As long as most of the windows are in place, and you aren't going to fall through the floor, go. If you wait for it to be "done" you will never go.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Quote:
Man, Thats the answer I was looking for. Mine is ready then. (kinda). The Blanco rally is coming up in Texas. I will be solo! Mife spouses Idea of camping is the Holiday INN Vs. Hilton!!!! I might try that one! (Middle of hunting season ) Just didn't want to show up with a big brown paper bag over my trailer from embarrassment!!

Thanks Everyone!
The Blanco Rally would be a good one to start. A small rally with friendly people.

You should be able to get answers to questions and ideas for your trailer along with a lot of advice on other rallys to attend.

Hope to see you there.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Go for it! As others have suggested, what better way to get ideas & input than to attend a rally in your project! We have camped in everything from a gutted out shell with a mattress on the floor and with plastic patio chairs for seating to our 99.9% complete trailers (they never are 100% done!) during both our restoration projects.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0243.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	89469   Click image for larger version

Name:	2932.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	89470  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I dont think it matters.As long as (like someone said) the windows are all there and the skin is in tact. I have seen em with nothing.Friends from Canada came 2 yrs ago with nothing. They had an air-mattress and a space heater. IT was april and COLD and rainy. They came in part to rally and go to JC to buy parts. So I dont think it matters as long as U show up and and have a good time. I personally like to see what others are doing and how its done and hear what thier plans for thier trailer are.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote