Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
We were thinking about setting an ez up tent with side walls connected to our airstream door to minimize dust going in the airstream when we go in and out. This room will also double as an outside cooking area, and changing room. Do you think the tent will hold up as long as it is secured to the ground?

Also looking for portable solar power panels to charge the batteries. Was looking at the 200w foldable panels but the price seems pretty expensive and wonder if its over kill. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Mtrid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #102
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Kenny,

This will be my 21st burn. Your shade structure must be very durable, low pitch roof and sidewalls that can let the wind blow through.
I keep my two Airstream golf cart batteries charged, by noon, with a single 75 watt panel. Most of my lights are LED and plus manage to run a swamp cooler and mister! FYI last year many port-o-potties blew over... plan on 50 MPH winds.

Monte from BurnStreamCourt.
Monte B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrid3r View Post
We were thinking about setting an ez up tent with side walls connected to our airstream door to minimize dust going in the airstream when we go in and out. This room will also double as an outside cooking area, and changing room. Do you think the tent will hold up as long as it is secured to the ground?

Also looking for portable solar power panels to charge the batteries. Was looking at the 200w foldable panels but the price seems pretty expensive and wonder if its over kill. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
It's not uncommon for there to be EZ up type structures flying through the air. Part of the sport for scoring how far they fly. The Admyrl from Spanky's Wine Bar says use rebar and ratcheting tie down on every post on a structure, and even he had their tent trying to launch during 4ThJuplaya last month. A few years ago I was watching one of the corner post's foot pad of our Community shelter (Costco Carport with steel posts) dancing in the wind, the wind had lifted the structure on the tie down enough for the foot to be dancing. We drive in #4 or #5 rebar with washers welded on the end at each vertical post to attach the tie downs through. Joy to drive in, we're finding the trick to get them out easier. Oh remind me to make a few more this year. Not uncommon for 50mph wind as Monte says, we've seen more. And there's always a double rainbow each year after a rain, maybe a triple rainbow.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Hi All,

I just recently did a renovation to our late model bambi and will be taking its first trip to our first BM. Do you guys have room for 2 eager helpers to join camp? We recently got tickets through OMG sale hence why the late inquiry. We would love to provide morning espresso/cappuccino for camp members, blow up movie screen and projector for entertainment for all.

Kenny
Wait, Movie Screen and Projector? Can we show "Trailer Park Boys" again?
Espresso Good! And Bacon, we all can help bring Bacon.
Did someone mention Bacon yet?
Wait, I never wake up in time for the coffee and bacon. drat

NevadaGeo
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #105
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Sounds great Kenny!

I've never covered my AS and it's really no worse for the wear. Setting up a giant Easy Up may be overkill.

I do blue tape my windows and cover my upholstery inside with old sheets and the interior floor with mats to keep the dust down.

Hey what's a little dust among friends??
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Fullerton , California
Thanks for all the replies.

Monte B, wow 21st burn. I'm in the right place for wisdom.

Going through some forums I see multiple burner had good results with the REI Alcove tent with wind walls. I was able to score it for $50 plus $20 of replacement parts on craigslist. Hopefully it will do well with some rebar reinforced.

Considering purchasing one of these Portable solar panels to power interior led lights, swamp cooler, fantastic fans, and hopefully a 19" led TV. Do you think a 120w will do?

$199 120w
http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/worthy-120w-foldable-polycrystalline-solar-suitcase-p-375.html

$135 100w
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Panel-Off-Grid-100W-Watts-100-Watt-12-Volt-12V-RV-Boat-PV-Charger-Portable-/201330816500?hash=item2ee04075f4

$384 130w
https://thesolarstore.com/solarland-...12u-p-775.html
Mtrid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #107
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
When did they stop tying down the port-o-pots?
Used to be a truckers cargo strap over the top and festival tent ground stakes.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Redwood City , California
We have a 25 ft international. Have been to 4 previous burns. My wife and I are still looking for two tickets and a car pass if anyone knows of any. We can roll at the last minute if any become available.
deepfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #109
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Power

120w should do it if you have the battery capacity to store it.

Monte

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

Monte B, wow 21st burn. I'm in the right place for wisdom.

Going through some forums I see multiple burner had good results with the REI Alcove tent with wind walls. I was able to score it for $50 plus $20 of replacement parts on craigslist. Hopefully it will do well with some rebar reinforced.

Considering purchasing one of these Portable solar panels to power interior led lights, swamp cooler, fantastic fans, and hopefully a 19" led TV. Do you think a 120w will do?

$199 120w
http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/worthy-120w-foldable-polycrystalline-solar-suitcase-p-375.html

$135 100w
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Panel-Off-Grid-100W-Watts-100-Watt-12-Volt-12V-RV-Boat-PV-Charger-Portable-/201330816500?hash=item2ee04075f4

$384 130w
https://thesolarstore.com/solarland-...12u-p-775.html
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #110
Burner since '95

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Weed , California
Wind

That's how they still tie them down but 50+ and then a gust... good bye outhouses plus a few RV trailers laid on there sides! This all happen last year pre-burn week.

Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
When did they stop tying down the port-o-pots?
Used to be a truckers cargo strap over the top and festival tent ground stakes.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Bring BUG SPRAY.

Yup, this year your dust experience comes complete with mosquitoes. Word coming from those currently setting up Gate Road is that there are millions of the beasties out there, waiting to dine on your tender skin.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #112
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Yikes Barbie. That sounds fun.
Thanks for the heads up.
Any word on the playa surface?

Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #113
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
And BTW Airstreameri happy campers:
Everyone please bring camp tables and chairs.
Lounging is a favorite art form.

Cheers and see ya all soon!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Last I heard, which was a couple of months ago with no significant rain to change it, the inner playa is pretty soft and deep playa is softer.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #115

1986 29' Sovereign
Surrey , British Columbia
For your Headcount

Hi just confirming that Happyman + 1 will be arriving on Monday towing a 29 ft Airstream. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Happyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Latest news from placement, you've read it before

Here's a link to BMIR radio to listen to while you are packing and costuming and looking for those fun things we found in March that we just gotta take. BMIR - Burning Man Radio - 94.5 FM on the playa

And some more stuff from the Placement gods. Bugs? really? They should be all dehydrated by now. Playa looked great during the 4th, not much sand worms at all but not sure how close we were to home. Has anyone seen a long range weather forecast either? oh wait, here's one. Doesn't look like too many 100 degree days, even a little cool http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USNV0033:1:US

:::::

Placement Newsletter # 11, 2015

In this issue:

1. Food Safety at Burning Man
2. Fuel Storage
3 Fuel Delivery
4. Lost and Found
5. GATE and Exodus
6. Please do not steal signs

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Fine People of Black Rock City!

The piles of bins are growing, the Flagging team are finished placing flags, some of the Placement Team are already on playa and the excitement level is crackling!

This is really happening.

We are excited, frantic and overwhelmed. And now we're hearing stories about bugs.
All the more reason to take a deep breath, pour a glass of cool water and pause for just a moment.
This newsletter is about health and safety - things that we can not rush or pass over.
So drink some water, read this newsletter and remember not to believe all of the drama you read on the Internet. There might be bugs, but we are resilient and resourceful. We come to the playa for adventure and challenge.
Bring some bug spray if you like, but try not to panic. Most of the bugs came to the playa from the Ranch. Once all of the gear is moved, the bugs won't have much of a food source and they won't survive. Once the dust storms come as we all drive on the playa, they will probably blow away.

We are an amazing community and we can handle anything, together.

- Answergirl

PS - Want to write to us - email placement@burningman.org & please put your sector and camp name into the subject line for a faster response.

1. FOOD SAFETY AT BURNING MAN

Hand Washing and Food Temps

Hand-washing is the first line of defense against the spread of many illnesses, including food-borne illnesses. So please, be sure to wash your hands before you handle food. And of course, be sure to use the hand sanitizer that is hung on the posts by the port-a-potty banks after using these facilities.
The second most important factor in preventing foodborne illness, is maintaining safe food temperatures.
While out on the playa it is important to keep cold foods cold, at or below 41 degrees F and to keep hot foods hot, above 135 degrees F.
If you don't maintain these temperatures, the number of bacteria in the food will quickly multiply, doubling every 20 minutes.
So please keep foods out of the temperature danger zone. Check your coolers and replenish ice often. If you are using ice as a coolant, be sure it surrounds your food containers and is not just below the food.
And remember to be prepared and stock up on back-up ice before you need it. If it rains or there are other emergencies on the playa, Arctica's hours may change. You will need to demonstrate your Burner prowess, and show your self-reliance by being prepared and keeping cold foods cold and ice stocked, regardless of the outside conditions.

2. Fuel Storage

Fuel and Hazmat Storage
All participants using combustible fuels in an art installation (or for other purposes) at Burning Man must educate themselves about and comply with appropriate practices for storing and handling these materials.

Fuel and Hazmat Storage | Burning Man

Click this link - best images of fuel safety ever!!

http://blog.burningman.com/wp-conten...el_handout.pdf

3. Fuel Delivery

BRC Fuel Program | Burning Man

Fuel Delivery on playa? There's a form for that:

Haymaker Fuel - BRC 2015
Note to Participants:
- Fuel price is variable and will be Wholesale + $1 and all applicable taxes.
- Credit card will be swiped at point of sale and receipts will be emailed.
- Fuel/Gas delivery has a minimum of 25gal, you will be charged for 25gal if you don't reach the minimum.
- There is no minimum for the fuel station at 10th and L.
- We do not provide fuel containers of any kind.

https://docs.google.com/a/haymaker.n...fhYNhVtGE/edit

4. Burning Man Playa Info Lost & Found

We VOLUNTEERS at Playa Info try our best to reunite items with their owners. That is one of the service gifts Playa Info provides to Black Rock City (BRC)

Spread word!!....There is no such thing as a, "playa gift" or, "ground score". If you find it, it belongs to some one else! Encourage people to bring found items down to lost and found.

There are steps you can take pre- and on-playa to help yourself, others and us before you lose something!

Prevention is the best cure
Consider putting a label or a luggage tag on anything precious or better yet on everything, while you are packing for the playa.

Think about the "real estate" area on the item. If you have a large space (big real estate) label the item with your name, phone number, email address, Facebook page and playa camp location if you are sure of it.

If small real estate – label with minimum of name and phone number or e-mail address or other
reliable way to contact you. Airline counters are great places to get free luggage tags.

For cameras write up your contact info on a sheet of paper and take a photograph of it. Leave the image as the first one in your photo set, then, better yet, label the camera.

Take address labels with you so you can tag everything you didn't think you needed to tag. The mighty wind can whisk away the most essential items. Yes, we have had tarps, small tents, back packs and sleeping bags all turned into Lost and Found

Label everything you want to get back!

Consider leaving very precious items at home: your childhood bike, your great-grandmother's ring, or that special item of clothing that means so much to you.

Bikes
They are the only thing we don't take at lost and found.
NOTE bike is considered lost until after the event. All bikes will be retrieved on Tuesday & Wednesday and sent to Yellow Bike facility
Avoid the headache of a lost bike!... simply lock your bike at all times. After your bike is stolen once, you probably will lock the next bike.

Car Keys
Get a hide-a-key box, put your vehicle key in it and hide it on your vehicle, where you'll remember where it is a week later

Other valuables
Lock up your wallets, passports, airline tickets in your vehicle, hide your spare key, and party/sleep easy.

Next, check your ID!
Many passports and drivers licenses are sent back to the owner every year, only to be returned because the owner has moved on.
Write your current address in permanent ink on your ID
For on playa travels, make a copy of your official ID and health insurance and carry it instead of the original.

How to find Lost & Found
We are behind Playa Info's shade structure, in the Center Camp key hole. We are open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm every day.
Lost & Found will provide limited services: Labor Day (9/7) 1p-6p. & Tuesday (9/8) 9am-1pm
After (9/8) contact lostandfound@burningman.com to look for a lost item

Other info
If you find a lost item, turn it into Lost and Found or to a roaming Playa Info Ambassador.
We also get the lost luggage from the airport.
Although our primary goal is to return as much stuff on playa to the rightful owners as we can, post-playa we take all of the remaining items back to BM in San Francisco.

5. Gate and Exodus

Getting There and Back | Burning Man

6 Please, Do Not Steal Signs. Please pass it on…

An official word from the BMORG:
Emergency Services rely on street signs to navigate our city when responding to emergencies and participants count on them to find their way around. All signs must remain in place through the Temple burn on Sunday night. Seriously folks, we need your help combatting the rampant theft of street signs early in the event. Recently signs are being stolen right when the gate opens. If you see this happening, say something!

And a love letter from BeeLine:
Hi there! I am the "administrator" for our camp and I have a request. I just spent the last four days volunteering at the Burning Man work Ranch at the sign shop. So much work goes on out there and so much work goes into creating and making the signs. It really is fun and so amazing. We all know the signs get stolen every year. The problem, that I don't think is thought through in the moment, during the act of, is that these signs are important for Medical Services to use in an emergency. We also know that more of the city is populated by theme camps than not, and theme camps get newsletters. I think getting the word out might be helpful. If theme camps spread the word about the importance of keeping the signs up and why, it might help. Theme camps located on corners could take ownership of their street sign and try to keep it standing at least till the end of the event! The sign shop folk don't mind that people get to take home such a cool souvenir, but it should be done when you're going home, at the end of the event! As the admin for our camp, I know I read the placement newsletters and pass on the info to my campmates, so I hope others do too. This community is a smart and productive one and I don't think anyone of us would want any of our campmates to have to wait any longer than necessary if they were in need of serious medical attention. So, my request is that maybe this could be put into a newsletter and see if we can't change the trend of when the signs get taken!
Thank you for all of your hardwork. I know from being on the inside of one the departments and volunteering over the past 15 years how much work goes into making the best city in the world happen!
Christine Hawthorne
Aka BeeLine
PlayAground

Thank you for reading.
Hey - have another sip of water and see you sooon!!!

The 2015 Placement Team

Abdullah, Answergirl, Baulknaub, Bravo, the Flaggers, GetRich, Happy, HepKitten, KGB, Level, Machine, Muppet, Papa Bear, Pono, Retro, Shadow, SwAmPy, Sweetthang, The Governess and WhatsIt.

NevadaGeo
Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #117
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Bugs of all types We&#39;ve Identified Those Bugs Infesting Burning Man -- And It&#39;s Not Pretty [UPDATED]
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Read a couple of articles talking about the current bug problems. Apparently they are swarming and being your basic annoying pest.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #119
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Woo and HOO Airstreameri, we're almost there.

The bugs are gone, the weather predictions are quite nice (at the moment) , and the man burns in 10 days! Wow.

Safe travels everyone.

See you on the playa!
Happy trails,
Bam
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #120
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Other names for the EZ-up type tent/canopies from my few years on the art show circuit. Main one was EZ gone. Any significant wind and they twist into a pile of scrap metal.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote