Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #1

Question need opinion - switching out tanks

We just inherited a 64 Bambie II and are starting the restoration process. The orginal tanks have some rust and we were wondering if we could replace them with regular propane tanks like you would get at Home Depot (gas grill kind etc.) and just update the fitting and hose?
Any help will be great on this or any other restoration hints.
kim
kbryner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Impossible

No way! Those propane tanks are BEIGE.

On the other hand, you could paint them with a can of silver Rustoleum.
Congratulations and have a lot of fun
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Check a propane dealer, I bet you will get them cheaper and you are going to have to get them filled anyway. I got 2 30 lbs. filled for only a few bucks more than the empty 20 lb. tanks at HD.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
need opinion - switching out tanks

Greetings Kim!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
The orginal tanks have some rust and we were wondering if we could replace them with regular propane tanks like you would get at Home Depot (gas grill kind etc.) and just update the fitting and hose?

Any help will be great on this or any other restoration hints.
Something else that you might want to consider is just what your future restoration plans might include. If polishing the exterior of your Bambi is something that you are considering, you might want to consider the feasibility of Worthington Aluminum LP tanks - - they can be polished to match your coach and are much lighter for routine handling than similar sized steel tanks - - my 40 pound Worthington tank is as easy to handle as the 30 pound steel tank that it replaced. I purchased my Worthington Aluminum tanks from AirstreamDreams.com several years ago and had them polished just after purchase when P and S Trailer Service of Helena Ohio polished and Plasticoated my coach - - I initially hadn't planned on polishing the coach and had a pair of two-year-old steel tanks that were replaced by the new Worthingtons - - had I thought more about my restoration agenda, I could have saved myself nearly the cost of one of the new Worthington tanks. The photo below is of the polished tanks on my Overlander:

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Off topic for Kevin

Kevin,

What are those rods on each side of your front window?

Thanks,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Although a little 'pricey', the units that I've seen with the polished Worthingtons are "most excellent dude" !
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
need opinion - switching out tanks

Greetings Dennis!

Quote:
What are those rods on each side of your front window?
The fixture on the curbside is the television antenna (or what was left of it by the time I acquired the coach after it passed through the hands of two owners who were not overly interested in preservation). On the streetside is the police antenna that I currently have connected to the citizens band radio that is mounted in the front roof locker - - both features were part of the International package according to some literature that was with the coach when I purchased it in 1995.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:06 PM   #8

Those Thingies. ... on the front of the coach

Actually, the thingie on the right is a 1/4-wave whip antenna designed for CB Radios. It was in common use in the late 50s & early 60s before base loaded antennas were invented. The fun was to put the 1/4-wave whip on your bumper by drilling a really wicked hole in the crome & then haul the tip down with an insulated wire loop attached to the side view mirror. Old jeeps (mj3s) would have the antenna screwed into the right side body just around the corner from the tail light assembly. (Then the idea was to crank up the CB on an SSB channel & make a lot of noise.)