Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Carbondale , Colorado
Need help hooking up gas stove

Hi there,
I'm planning to re-plumb the gas oven in the picture for my 59 18'er. I have 2 tanks (I need to check the date on them) and the stove, that's all.

My plan is to:
Get a new regulator, run new line under the belly to come up underneath the stove, and hook into the back of the stove - it's that easy right?

Is there anything I need to be careful about (copper-vs-flexible lines)?
If in the future I install a furnace, I can tee off the single line underneath right?

Thanks a ton!
Jeph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	63315  
Jephellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Propane lines should be kept underneath the trailer and come up through the belly skin and floor at the proper location of the appliance needing the gas. Propane is heavier than air if there is a leak or one develops, you want a minimum amount of copper line inside the trailer. You can T off from the stove line for the furnace underneath the trailer where it is accessible. You're on the right track.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Hi Jeph,

I just completed re-plumbing my propane lines a few months back. Also, looks like we have the same trailer -- and the same Princess stove (if you have any extra burner rings, mine don't fit very well...).

I'd advise crawling around under a new A/S for some good ideas. Such as grounding the propane line to the steel frame. And running the long lengths of copper inside PEX tubing to protect it from bouncing rocks while on the road.

Also use a short hose from the regulator to the start of the copper line. I used 1/2" soft copper from Home Depot. You can get all the flare fittings and flare tool there. I would highly recommend the BrassCraft brand flare tool they sell there. I had a horrible experience with the flaring tool sold at Ace & True Value (Superior brand? -- far from it).

Make really sure you don't allow the copper to touch the belly skin or plywood floor. I used neoprene fender washers from True Value to keep the lines close the center of the holes as they travel through the floor. The washers got three screws around the perimeter to keep them in place.

For the stove, I added a gas shut off valve in the cabinet below the stove. That way the kids can't turn on the valves & let gas out while I'm not around.

You can cut line and add more T's as you need. I ran the 1/2" line as the main supply line from the hose attached to the regulator. As I needed a 3/8" line to T to another appliance, I flared in a 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8" T. The 3/8" line travels to the hole in the belly/floor. It bends (using the line bender sold at the hardware store) and travels to the appliance. The stove was the last appliance, so we reduced from 1/2" to 3/8" in an elbow.

If you have the opportunity to reuse the original refrigerator & furnace, I think you should. We were able to use ours and they really add to the original feel.

Be sure to test your system with air pressure & spray all fittings with soapy water. The leaks will bubble a little or a lot. I found leaks in ALL my fittings using the inferior brand flaring tool. Lesson learned. I gave the system 10 psi of compressed air from my gas line test gage attached to the regulator end of the propane hose.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exterior.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	63320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior-2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	63321  

Name:	Interior.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	63322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior-2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	63323  

r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
A tubing bender will make the job easier and can be found at home depot. you may want to consider double flares rather than the normal single.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote