Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

LP hoses

Where do I get the 2 hoses that go from the LP tanks? They are a couple of feet long but seem to short, as at the very bottom it's bent so badly that sometimes that my hot water heater and furnace cut off. Especially one of the tanks.

I only wonder if these came with the unit or where installed by PO.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Ipso, I presume you are referring to the flexible rubber pipes from the LP tanks to the regulator. These should be replaced every few years as they harden and start to show signs of cracking. They are usually fitted with a label which shows the year of manufacture. Other good reasons to change yours are that the design changed a couple of years ago, so that the connection to the bottles, (when the bottles are fitted with OPD - Overfill Protection Device- valves) is with a right hand threaded large plastic connector. This is tightened by hand, and no wrench is required. The connectors also have safety features, in that a fire will seal the gas flow. The pipes should run uphill to the regulator, so that oils in the tanks will not contaminate the regulator. The pipes are available in various lengths from Airstream dealers, RV supplies stores, hardware stores for barbeque grills, etc. They are not specific to Airstreams.
Nick.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
I had a similar problem - my tanks were empty and I needed to upgrade to the new OPD valves. In order to take advantage of the safety features of the OPD valves, you also need to upgrade your hoses. My hoses are 36 inches long and I was having difficulty finding the new style hoses in longer lengths. I finally found them here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lpg-hoses.htm

The prices are reasonable and they ship quickly.

Hope this helps.

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My Airstream still has the copper connections with POL fitting between the tank and regulator. They are OPD compliant tanks, but you can still use a brass POL male fitting to connect to an OPD tank. Most propane distributors can make these up for you if you desire. I usually get a year or more out of a set of tanks so having to use a 7/8" wrench to disconnect tanks is not much of a hassle.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Ipso, I presume you are referring to the flexible rubber pipes from the LP tanks to the regulator. These should be replaced every few years as they harden and start to show signs of cracking.

Every couple of years? Is there anything that can be used to treat or protect the hoses to prolong their life? Mine are under cover, so I'm hoping they last longer.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Is there anything that can be used to treat or protect the hoses to prolong their life?
303 Protectant, available from Auto stores and RV stores is excellent.
Nick.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Every couple of years? Is there anything that can be used to treat or protect the hoses to prolong their life? Mine are under cover, so I'm hoping they last longer.
It depends on where in the country you live, and whether you store your trailer outdoors, or if the front of the coach is shaded when stored outdoors. UV causes the rubber hoses to deteriorate, just like the rubber in your tires. I personally see no need to replace them on a set timetable, but I do replace them at the first sign of cracking.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
When in doubt replace your hoses

I had noticed a propane smell near the front of our AS. I completed the 'bubble-test' to see if I could find a noticeable leak and found none. By the way, this test is done by mixing dish soap with water in a spray bottle. You than spray this on the area you suspect is leaking and watch for bubbles to develop. Of course the soapy water will bubble a little bit, but if you have a leak you will find it this way.

Anyway...no leak was found, so I replaced the hoses connecting each tank to the regulator. I also upgraded to the outside threads which allows us to remove the tank by hand instead of using a wrench. The cost of the two hoses was $42 for both from a local RV shop.

The great news is there is no gas smell and as the guy at the store mentioned, these hoses are pure rubber. There is not an internal casing, so once the rubber gets old, the propane will leak through the hose. Hope this helps!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Another thing you will want to watch and check for is Rodent damage to the hoses, I have actually had a hose punctured by a squirrel knawing on it. It happen twice to the same hose! So I got a piece of heavy vinyl tubing to slip over the LP hose to protect it. I have also seen stainless steel braided hoses...they would look mighty sharp on an Airstream, but I suspect would have to be custom made....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Volatile Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Another thing you will want to watch and check for is Rodent damage to the hoses, I have actually had a hose punctured by a squirrel knawing on it.

Aaron
Now that's a squirrel I'd stay away from with matches

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
(Drum roll ......)

Did the squirrel get gas?

(Cymbal crash!)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
High pressure vs Low pressure hoses.
Anything that is down stream of the regulator would be low pressure?
For instance the main hose coming from the regulator going into the trailer is low pressure right???

Byron
Byron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron71
High pressure vs Low pressure hoses.
Anything that is down stream of the regulator would be low pressure?
For instance the main hose coming from the regulator going into the trailer is low pressure right???

Byron
Correct. The line(s) from the tank(s) to the regulator are high pressure. Everything else is low pressure.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
No gas to heater / refrig

The hoses on our 1976 Caravanner have been upgraded and the tanks just filled. The heater came on for about three hours and then quit and I cannot light the refrigerator. Do you think this has something to do with the new hoses?
Longhorn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Longhorn,

Sounds like you have an air pocket in your propane line . Run your stove for a minute or so until it lights and stays lit. Then try your other appliances. It may take a few tries to light them but they will ignite once the air is purged.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Air pocket?

Why would our water heater pilot be lit the water heater working and absolutely nothing else with gas work?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Sounds like you have an air pocket in your propane line...
Lewster is right. But purging the air pocket depends on which side of your Airstream the refrigerator is on. On mine, the cooktop & furnace are on one side while the refigerator, oven, and water heater are on the other.

If an air bubble was suspected in my setup, I would start with getting the water heater to light as it easier to get to with a propane match than the oven or refirgerator.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn57
Why would our water heater pilot be lit the water heater working and absolutely nothing else with gas work?

Is it at all possible that any of the in line valves may have gotten closed? Thats the kind of thing that catches me all the time

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
No closed lines

All the lines are open. But thanks for the tip. I have done silly things like that before.

The refrigerator is the only thing on the curb side. The heater, the water heater and the stove are on the street side.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Correct. The line(s) from the tank(s) to the regulator are high pressure. Everything else is low pressure.

Thanks.
Byron
Byron71 is offline   Reply With Quote