Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Gas Leak and it's not from the Dog

We just replaced our old LPG tanks and regulator with new ones, and modified the configuration from being down near the tongue to up towards the top of the tanks. We opted to make this change to allow us to see the automatic change over on the new regulator without having to take off the tank cover completely.

However - the new line that connects the main line (under the trailer) and the regulator is leaking. The leak is where the sleeve is crimped to the female adapter. I thought the line was too long and causing the end to be distorted, so we had a shorter line made. Same leak, same place. (one note - I have noticed that it is not as easy to tighten this connector - the threads on the male end appear to be the same thread size? as the others, but a little old/rough)

This is driving me crazy now. We are getting so close to being able to actually go camping (after a two year project!) that I just wanted to kick something. (My husband said to wait until I put on my boots so I didn't break a toe)

I don't know if I should replace the short hose that used to connect the trailer line to the old regulator? (shown in the bottom of the photo) It looks like the PO spray painted over the connection so I am not sure how easy it will be to loosen those, but then I could run a new hose from the trailer copper line to the new regulator and not have a connection where the hose comes up through the tongue.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	218395  
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
And the bubbles are multiplying! All are coming from where the hose crimp meets the female connector.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	218399  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Do you have an O ring in there?
Have you applied Gas fit thread seal tape?

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Were you able to get a wrench on both sides of that connection? If you were able to then you might want to loosen it back up, pull it apart and take a pic and post it here. Get a picture of both the male and female side of the connection while its pulled apart.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Check flare for nicks, bumps, and dirt

I added a Tee fitting inline where the original flexible hose connects to the copper tubing under the trailer. Mine was a flare fitting. If yours is also, make sure that your mating fitting is for use with flare fittings. IP thread fittings look similar but will not seal on a flare. Check the flared end of the copper tubing for nicks, crimps and dirt. And you will have to get it tight enough but not too tight. I tightened mine with soap solution on the joint and tightened it until the bubbles stopped. Worst case, get a tubing cutter, new flare nut and a flaring tool at big box, cut off the old flare and nut and replace with new.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My fresh "off the boat" hoses also leaked. I swapped until the worked. I did it in The RV parts parking lot.

Next time I will replace with industrial grade. Working to get made up soon. You can get fittings and hoses from McMaster-Carr. Crimping can be done by local hydraulic hose repair company.

"The Boat" stuff is really getting worse.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Al and missy, thats kinda what i was wanting too see also. If indeed the fittings were matched.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Took it apart, photographed the whole thing and went back to the local Propane Company (who were fantastic!) and the fittings were two different types. They gave me the correct one to replace and now NO MORE LEAKS!!

AND - last night (with some guidance from my dad who was an Airstreamer) Robb and I were finally able to get the stove, oven AND the fridge to run on the LPG!!!

Now to check the water heater and furnace

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Possible disaster averted.. Congrats!