Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
To All,, I renew for the following reasons.. the Montana Unit Vice President has the best heart in America,,, has helped and rescued on more than one occassion,,, loved the International,, a must see in person to believe,,, love my Airstreams which enable me to be a member of this group,, love the people,,, what more reason than if only to rejoice in the commonality of Airstreams,,, WBCCI 1865,,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We joined the Texas Highland Lakes Unit. I never thought we'd enjoy anything like the WBCCI. We'd always went where we wanted to go and did what we wanted to do without any help from anyone in planning an agenda. I didn't think we'd like rallies, but we do. Especially after last year, which was our first year with Texas Highland Lakes Unit. On the way home from our first rally, I remarked to my wife that I felt we'd just made about 30 sets of new friends. She responded that she agreed. We'd been members of another unit the year before and just never much participated. With this unit, we've only missed one rally. They are such a fun group and have made us feel so much a part of things. Then, a few months after joining Texas Highland Lakes, I was diagnosed for a time with cancer. It turned out that I didn't have cancer, but during that time I got phone calls, emails, cards, letters, prayers, more prayers and several visits from members of our unit. One member came and stayed in his trailer for the better part of a week just to check on me and let us know that he cared. We never got anything like that amount of support from the members of our church where we've been active, working members our whole married life. About the only notice we received from our church was a listing of my name on the prayer list of the church bulletin. No phone calls, no pastor visit, nor visits from any of the members, nothing. It was remarkable or sad, depending upon your point of view. As members of the Texas Highland Lakes Unit of the WBCCI, we look forward to attending a rally most every month, somewhere.

I relate our experience only to make you aware of the benefits we feel we have received through participation in the WBCCI. We've made many friends who will be lifelong friends. We've gained a much better understanding of our trailer and how to best utilize it. As members, we've grown as individuals. We receive discounts during our rallies for sites and activities. We've seen and done many things we wouldn't have done on our own.

This is the first time I've ever responded to a WBCCI post. I read the sour grapes posted by many and it makes me feel sorry for them. I hate it that they have either had such terrible experiences, or have such a sour nature. Either way, it is sad that some people feel the way that they do about something we enjoy so much. All I can say is that we are not "old" in the traditional sense. We're both in our 50's. We aren't having any of the issues some seemingly are having. We truely enjoy our WBCCI experiences thus far and are looking forward to many, many more.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We are fairly newcommers to WBCCI only being members since 2000. We have taken two caravans one through the Southwest for two months. It was a wonderful experience. We knew we were going to Salem last year and were planning a route when we saw that the Cape Cod Unit had a coast to coast rally planned. They were good enough to let us and several other units south of the Mason Dixon join with them for 3 weeks of fun and adventure. We saw things that I never would have seen on my own. The friendships we made will be with us for the rest of our lives. Forums is a neat place to talk and share ideas but I haven't had this kind of experience in here. The people in the Cape Cod unit actually had names not handles, and firm handshakes. Yes I was on my knees pulling a commode out of someones unit for them and making an on the spot repair, but its these kind of things that bring you closer. Helping others park thier units, fixing meals and enjoying a social hour together isn't something you get online. I enjoy the time spent with others and seeing things in a different perspective. I hope that others can have similar experiences to the ones that I have had with the club. Our local unit is more of a family to me than a club. We share concerns and keep abreast of the needs of those in our unit. Its all about sharing. I understand that this is not for everyone and that is ok, but for those that enjoy being with others and helping make their travel more fun there has never been a better way for me to enjoy.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #24
Silverbulletspider

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Thumbs up

This is a wonderful idea as unfortunately there are too many who express negative comments about our Club and most often those who have positive attitudes do not express them. To the casual observer they get a slanted view of our organization.

I cannot imagine travelling these great countries of Canada and the USA without the Club. Each year we try to do one big caravan where we meet fantastic new as well as old friends, the leaders continually do such an excellent job, we have lots of fun and most people develop life long friends. Attending unit and region rallies results in the same even when we go to a unit rally at the other end of the country where we don't know a soul, and yet are welcomed with open arms. Even the International rallies are a great opportunity to learn, volunteer and meet many friends.

If you have not tried Courtesy Parking - give it a try and see how well you are received by the host.

All of this can be summed up by enjoying WBCCI which for us is an "extended family".

Don & Kathy McKelvay #6939
Ontario Canada Unit
93Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome to the forum, 93limited! Thank you for such positive comments and your first post Your words are encouraging for those considering club membership and participation. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
I'm the lucky one!

hello Don and Kathy,
I too love the WBCCi as my bride and I have learned to use the many things WBCCI has to offer to make our travels fun and memorable. We too try a major caravaan per year; sometimes we'll make two. A very good deal- travel with discounts; the logistics have been taken care of ahead by the leaders; points of interest are already listed; many times the 'special' places of interst that you only find by talking with the locals are listed or made a part of the trip. The caravaans are a special jewel of the club. Then you have local and regional rallies where we have made so many friends and continue to renew those friendships. Again, like someone before said, you recieve in proportion to what you put in. Volunteering is one of the things that make the rallies and caravaans special, and the new poster above ,93limited, is one of the best examples of a volunteer I have ever met. I am the lucky one in that relationship,and I hope he allows me to call him friend for many, many years to come.
the wonderful meals we've shared, the happy hours, the lobster boils, and the blueberry cobblers for 70 people!
And then comes our local unit- Top of Georgia. We have joined together spending absolutely thousands of volunteer hours preparing a campground for ANY WBCCI member to use for mere cents per day- 4 point hookups! Mountains, creeks, lakes and trails nearby-come and visit.
On and on it goes.
Thank you WBCCI for letting me be a member.
And thanks to the forum members for allowing me to enjoy you as well.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Good Responses

It's responses like these, that make me glad I'm a member of the WBCCI.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Why do you stay a WBCCI member?

Initially, in 1995, I joined due to the mystique along with the fact that the friends of my family who introduced me to Airstreaming were avid WBCCI members. My first two years were rather inactive as I was working through getting the coach fully roadworthy, and finding a replacement for a tow vehicle that was less than satisfactory. By 1998, I was participating in caravans as well as rallys, and have never considered letting my membership lapse -- in fact, I purchased a lifetime membership just before the last International dues increase. As a Free Wheeler, the caravans can lessen some of the responsibilities of a long trip (route selection, locating campgrounds, finding unique points of interest, etc.) making the experience far more enjoyable. In many ways, my friends in the WBCCI have become a second family for me as I travel across the country each summer.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Thumbs up Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
It's responses like these, that make me glad I'm a member of the WBCCI.
Ditto! For us being in the club is worth every penny spent and every fight for change. I did have a period of doubt in recent months but I'm over it now. But, GASP - we still run bald. No numbers displayed on our rig.

There is a couple in our unit that we see at various rallies. These folks purchased a new Airstream and joined the WBCCI in 2003 which is the same year we joined. They are about 15 years older then us and are recently retired. They went on their first caravan in 2005, the "Polar Express" caravan. The better half of the team (wife) compiled a beautiful travelogue of their adventure and shared it with NEU members during our 2005 (?) spring business meeting rally. I borrowed it overnight, sitting in the lounge area of our Airstream looking at the pictures and reading about the places they visited. Only at this point did the light bulb go off for me. The activities the club offers spans many phases of life. For now, it's rallies and short "express caravans" for us due to the yucky work thing. In the not too distant future it will be rallies and long term caravans for us. The "old" people taking part won't look so old to us as we will be of the same generation.

Bottom-line is we do not want the WBCCI to fail, to no longer exist. We love the "fun, fellowship and adventure" we've enjoyed with the New England Unit and hope to expand to long distance caravaning once we retire.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
I joined the WBCCI in 1989 after purchasing my first Airstream a month or so earlier. To me it seemed like the first thing to do was to join up with a group that has a similar interest.Also I was 18 years old at the time.So I joined the Georgia Unit and I have remained a member since. We have a beautiful park in the North GA mountains that any WBCCI member can enjoy and a great group of members. I have only attended two other unit rallies besides my unit and hope when time permits we will be able to attend others. I am planning on going to the International rally this year since it is so close to me and hope to see all those shiny airstreams grouped together that has to be an awesome sight . I am planning on remaining a WBCCI member for years to come so when I slow down from work and or retire then I can return some of the volunteer work that my predecessors have put so much into.As someone else said earlier you only get out of it what you put into it. Happy Airstreaming. Davis
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Actually, I am not really sure just why I renewed this year. It was touch and go for us. I finally renewed with wdcu. Our previous unit, Metro Detroit, didn't follow the member's desires on changing the name. The Iowa unit didn't either, so decided that if I was to be a member, it would have to be in a unit that followed its member wishes on the name change vote.

Since we now live in Iowa, we are associate members in the Iowa unit. Lots of nice people, but stuck in the cheap parking (fairgrounds) rally mode with every minute planned. Not really my cup of tea, so have only attended one unit rally in the past year. We really enjoy the Forums rallies. Laid back and relaxing. Just got back from the Can Opener Rally, probably the largest forum rally ever. A great time was had by all. Great food and the wide range of ages, both people and Airstreams made it doubly fun.

We have done several caravans. A couple were great, and the others OK. Do have a problem with being treated as if I can't read, so a drivers meeting every night to read us what is in the driver's manual. We were able to travel every state in this wonderful country without hand holding, so resent the implication that I can't follow a drivers manual.

Jim & Marianne Mickle 6980
Marion, Iowa
2000 30 ft Land Yacht
1991 34 ft Excella
WDCU
Members since 1999
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Good Question. I am not sure. I signed up as soon as I had a serial number. I was excited. I attended part of our units rally last spring. Nice people but not my generation. I had little in common other than the airstream.
I attended the Can opener. Many from my generation. I had much to talk about. I enjoyed talking to everyone and especially my time with david shopping for Jumbalya parts.
My work schedule will prevent me from attending most WBCCI rallys. I would like to see it change and survive. Get rid of some of formality and politics. That is what I really enjoyed about the Can opener. Dinner will be around 5-6 and end whenever. I enjoyed the lack of formality. It was about having a good time.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California

My wife and I are WBCCI "newbies." We will stay members to connect with the AS history and traditions, on the hope of getting to attend a rally or caravan and meet some of the people in this thread (and other WBCCI members), and to contribute as we can to making the WBCCI a better, more responsive, evolving member club.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
"The history, continuity, and roots of the club. We are not big participators, but want to remain members." (quote, Moosetags)

Our sentiments, exactly. Maybe someday, we'll change from MAL, join a unit, and find a great set of friends there too.
The above goes for us too, maybe one day we will have more time!

Barb&Dan
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Why do you stay a WBCCI member?

We stay for the wonderful people in our unit. We have fun and everone cares about their fellow campers.

I must say however, that I really don't care for the red numbers! We put them on a piece of plexiglass at our rallies.

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
For us, it is all in our unit. The Northern Illinois unit has been the best part of the WBCCI. This is my third year (can't wait for the fiith and a cool star to add to the trailer) and I am looking forward to another great year of hanging out with my friends in Amboy and about. I hope to see another mystry rally too.

If it were not for our unit I would just run blue numbers.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
It starts with an ageless design, quality product. Association with other club members that share a fairly common set of values that start with the airstream trailer but, extend far beyound. Friendships that are past, present, and on down the road. Caravans to the places we want to go that continually re-establish the friendships we have made and continue to make every year. Local unit friendships. A club program of local, state, & national rallies that offer us opportunities to travel and see what is over the next hill.

Can't wait to hookup and head for Natchez, Miss this March for the region 6 rally.

It works for us.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #38
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Thumbs up Because of the PEOPLE

To tell the truth I had never heard of Wally Byam before we bought an Airstream. We had moved up from tent camping to Popup camping and now we are on our 2nd Airstream. We had no idea what we were doing when it came to using a real trailer. We joined our Unit befor we even took possision of our trailer. My wife went to a rally to meet the folks and was welcomed with wide open arms and trailer doors. These people had no idea who we were but welcomed us with open hearts and minds.

I learned of Wally and the WBCCI history from first hand account from people who were there and did it when the history happened. I have learnd so much and continue to learn more about my trailer from fellow members at each and every event we attend. We are only in our fourites and still work fulltime so we have yet to go on a caravan, we have not used coursty parking, due to limited vacation time we can not attend all the rallies we want. But we are and will continue to be Members for one main reason.
THE PEOPLE.

Forget about the bickering and the rules and just get out there and camp. You will meet the best people in the world at WBCCI events, and you will look foward to seeing them again down the road. Sure you will run int a few bad apples but such is life, and the sweeky wheels will get the most press , but overall its all good.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Why did I join, or why do I stay?

First, join: I thought long and hard before joining WBCCI - my parents are members and I remember some of the insanity I saw in certain rallies I attended with them - the hours-long business meeting at one rally (our first, in fact) was definitely a turn off. We got kicked out of the restaurant! I remembered the politics with distaste. BUT... I'd heard, from several people, that the WDCU was not your usual WBCCI unit, so I thought I'd give them a try - the $1 annual fee said something about the unit, too - sort of like they had to charge a fee but didn't really want to.

Stay: With some of the more recent arguments (as a motorhome owner, I've been made to feel like a third-class citizen lately, but I don't even have a class A - I have a class B - I'm sure some of the purists in this club would dump me in a heartbeat if they had half the chance), I'm wondering why I stay...except that I had a GREAT time with the WDCU on the one rally I went on with them so far. That's the only thing holding me back from cancelling my membership.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Why did I join and why do I maintain my membership?

History certainly has something to do with it, and the fine group of people I've met in the NorCal unit.

This forum is also great and provides many of the same benefits (minus history) for probably a younger rehab-it crowd.

So...I'll stick with both.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote