Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Great Northwest , Washington
Willing to use some elbow greese

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

I've they've etched the clearcoat...well, there's not much you can do about it, other than polish the segment, and believe me, you don't want to get involved with that!.
If we can't get the number that is up there, and since the clear coat is pealing pretty bad above the numbers on top, would it be a good idea to polish that area even though it would take off more clearcoat? It might looks best to have it all off instead of parts pealing here and there. The sides of the coach is doing pretty well. But the top front and back are looking like a snake starting to crawl out of it's skin. Actaully the average person would not notice. But I think the loose flakes call attention to the area up there. At least to me. What happens to the metal that has no clear coat on it? Is there something we should put on it to protect it until we sell a kidney to pay for it to be stipped and reclearcoated?

Dana

Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you have to take off ALL the clearcoat in order to polish...and then you'll wind up with something that is way shiny-er than the rest of the trailer. might make for an interesting accent piece, just polishing the center segment, though. believe me, I've considered it.

When bare alluminum is exposed to the atmosphere, it immediately begins to oxidize, just as bare steel begins to rust. (essentially, the same process...only slower). after removing the failing clearcoat, the next step is to remove that oxidation. once thats done, you can polish the alluminum with gradually finer (less abrasive) grades of polish, 'till it shines like a toaster. Then it immediately starts oxidizing again, and you'll have to repeat the process every few months, for ever and ever. wax will slow it down, but not stop it. the only thing that stops it is to either shoot the trailer into outer space....or encapsulate it with something that seals it off from the atmosphere...like paint. (which is what "clearcoat" is. paint that has no color).

Oh, and some people have reported that the stickers have not only eaten through the clearcoat, but also penetrated deeply into the alclad layer of alluminum so far that even polishing didn't completely remove the ghosts.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Welcome to the forums Dana! We are a member of the North Cascades WA unit. We only get to about 1 rally a year since we live in Wenatchee and East Coast in the summer. They are a very sweet group of people, very welcoming, and excited about new people. They tend to have their rallies at fair grounds and scenic rv parks, at one time their group was quite large. BC unit tends to have more camp outs at provincial parks. They are also a real fun bunch.

We on the forums get together 4 or so times a year as well. We usually go to Beverly Beach on the Oregon Coast in October. Keep your eyes open for more details. On the NCW site click on Jim Kolhoff's email at the bottom of the home page. He can give you any info you need to know.

Kathleen

Thanks everyone for all the info on the different units and options. We live in Skagit Valley, tulip country, 1 hour north of Seattle. We mostly go camping with our family and are hoping since we now have a trailer we will go more often. I think we would join the WBCCI to keep in touch with events we might want to go to and be able to look up red numbers on other streams that pass up by. =) I don't think we would get much out of the discounts. As for rallys, don't you need to have a vintage coach to join in? We really wanted a 1960's decade but the ones I kept coming across needed work with plumbing and other restoration. We would LOVE to get into that someday, but right now we have 1 and 3 year old girls on the go. And two dogs, two geese and a cat. Right now it is nice to have an AS that we can get camping in right away. Her layout and size if perfect for us. =) And even though she is only 8 years old she still looks like the older ones. Two people have been puzzled when they looked inside and said.. "This is not that old? They still make these things?" *laugh* And another things we get is.. "Wow.. it is not dark inside like I thought they would be." or... "Does it get really hot in there?" You would think people would think of it more of a light reflector than a heat absorber. =)

What is the rally at the Lynden fair like? My company has a booth there every year. I will have to volunteer my time to man it so I can go up there and check out some other Airstreams =)

Dana
Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
you have to take off ALL the clearcoat in order to polish...and then you'll wind up with something that is way shiny-er than the rest of the trailer.

<snip>

Oh, and some people have reported that the stickers have not only eaten through the clearcoat, but also penetrated deeply into the alclad layer of alluminum so far that even polishing didn't completely remove the ghosts.
It appears that MacStreamers trailer is a 1998 Excella. If that's the case, it isn't the same aluminum as the vintage ones are, thus no alclad. However, it will have a heavy grain to it which makes polishing more difficult, not impossible*, but you would have to remove the grain too.

Shari

*There was a late model (Norman Rockwell Editon) trailer in Salem that was sporting a pretty spiffy polish job...I was told it cost $10,000 to have the job done in CA. So they can be polished...
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Hi Dana,
First of all,welcome to the forums.If you do decide to join the WBCCI and are not going to do any repair work to the existing area the red number 25182 is I would suggest requesting either number 26182 or 28182.Both those numbers seem to be available as of the 2006 Directory.That way you would only have to cover up one number and leave the others as they are.The 6 or 8 would cover the ghost of the 5 fairly well.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Quote:
you have to take off ALL the clearcoat in order to polish...and then you'll wind up with something that is way shiny-er than the rest of the trailer. might make for an interesting accent piece, just polishing the center segment, though. believe me, I've considered it.
Well.. a shinyer middle section on top might look better than the photo I posted at the top of this forum. =P I read that the later model coaches do not shine up like the older metal does. Maybe polishing a 1998 will not show that much difference.

If I need to take the 2nd set of numbers to put on a 3rd set, and take off the 5 stars, and the already ugly large circle where the WBCCI sticker was, I will need to do something. *sigh* The large WBCCI sticker I can replace when we join and get a new one. But I think there was one on the back as well.

Quote:

When bare alluminum is exposed to the atmosphere, it immediately begins to oxidize, just as bare steel begins to rust. (essentially, the same process...only slower). after removing the failing clearcoat, the next step is to remove that oxidation. once thats done, you can polish the alluminum with gradually finer (less abrasive) grades of polish, 'till it shines like a toaster. Then it immediately starts oxidizing again, and you'll have to repeat the process every few months, for ever and ever. wax will slow it down, but not stop it. the only thing that stops it is to either shoot the trailer into outer space....or encapsulate it with something that seals it off from the atmosphere...like paint. (which is what "clearcoat" is. paint that has no color).

Well it sounds like to me not even an exorcist can get rid of the spesky ghosts. =P Oh well.. just something we will have to live with.

Dana
Old 07-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Hi Dana,
red number 25182 is I would suggest requesting either number 26182 or 28182.
Mike,
Chuck had suggested finding numbers closley related but I never thought of just changing the 5 to a 6 or 8. Great idea. =) Thanks. I might just go ahead and do that so we do not have to wait and see if the 25182 renews next year. 28182 seems easier to remember =)
Thanks,
Dana