Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
WBCCI A Secret Society?

Hello All,

Just got the latest edition of the Blue Beret and as my custom I read the "President's Corner" first. For the most part I felt that our International President was right on in regards to encouraging Unit Presidents to be bold, innovative and daring. But then, there in the article were a few words about the WBCCI being a secret society, that members are not displaying their WBCCI numbers or stars....

I am a devoted member of the WBCCI and I'm active in my Unit and I RUN BALD. Meaning, I do not display my WBCCI numbers on my rig. At first I held off because my rig's clearcoat was such a mess that I didn't want to add the numbers just to strip them off when my camper was being refinished. Now my camper is being professionally restored, costing me some major $$$ and I do not want any issues with my new clearcoat because of WBCCI numbers. So, what will I do? I could do what many members of my Unit do: Numbers and decal on windows (not great for me, blocks sun light), put numbers on plastic and attach to the front and back windows during rallys (not too bad of a solution), make up a little sign to display my WBCCI number and decal in front of my rig when I attend rallys (about the same solution as putting numbers on plastic). One of the two latter solutions will be the way I go.

I want to point out that I have not "failed to grasp some of the responsibilities of being a member of this great club". I just RUN BALD.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
You should have rubbed on some rogain at the first sign of balding. heehe
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I read that too as I just received my BB yesterday. Said it was a matter of responsibility. OUCH! We be bald too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
okay, now I'm finally getting some information on being a member.
What 'responsibilities' DOES a member have? Besides displaying those verdamt numbers? By implication (at least to me) if there are 'responsibilities' there must be 'rights' as well. What are those?
So. Rights and responsibilities of membership. Please.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You have the right to bring in your progency to your units and enlist the lovely young ladies to enter the Teen Queen Contest.

photography
Old 02-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Actually while we don't have our numbers on I do think it's a good idea. Gives a cohesive appearance at Rally's. Fact is there are more important issues afoot than the numbers. There is alot about WBCCI that does seem to be insiders only. Then there is this stupid, a-kissing, name change thing.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Secret Stars and such

First, I have my numbers on two pieces of lexan and post the lexan in the windows when at rallies. I think that works out well, any way it does for me and I don't have to deal with the numbers on the outside of my unit.

Second, I understand you get a star for every five years you are a member of WBCCI. I am now into my sixth year and no star. How does one get a star. Doesn't WBCCI mail you one?

Just curious.

Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
First, I have my numbers on two pieces of lexan and post the lexan in the windows when at rallies. I think that works out well, any way it does for me and I don't have to deal with the numbers on the outside of my unit.

Second, I understand you get a star for every five years you are a member of WBCCI. I am now into my sixth year and no star. How does one get a star. Doesn't WBCCI mail you one?

Just curious.

Mark
Contact your Unit Treasurer or Membership Chair, they will provide you with your 5 year star(s).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
At our January unit luncheon we had a presentation of stars for the year. They were handed out to about 5 members. It was fun and informal. Indeed, someone in your club should be keeping track of that.

As for the 'responsibilities' of being a member, remember that was just one man's opinion. Lots of people find other ways to display their numbers, particularly on vintage units. I am proud to wear mine, partly because the trailer has always been in the club, so having numbers on it seemed like the right thing to do, partly because I think the red numbers look snazzy, and partly because they cover up the 'shadow' of the POs numbers. If I polish it though, I might leave them off and go with the plexi in the window.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
...verdamt?

OK, Elizabeth from Ohio, you stumped me, particularly when you described the numbers as "verdamt". Did you mean "verdant"? Verdant: "covered with green vegetation."

My numbers are definitely not verdant, or verdamt, to my knowledge. There is a part of my trailer along a trim strip that is turning verdant, and I've been intending to spray it with a bleach solution.
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Ahhh... its IOWA, about three states west of Ohio, and most definitely across the Mississippi!

Verdamt..... German a little stronger than damn.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And I will add to Elizabeth's post... we do NOT grow pototoes in Iowa... that's Idaho. The hogs in Iowa (at least in Northwest Iowa), however, do outnumber the people about ten-to-one...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I know

that I am really vacationing when I hear pork belly futures on the radio each morning. Might say I'm in hog heaven. I don't want to be stuck in the city... No sirrius radio for my tastes, I want local flavor.

photography
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
And I will add to Elizabeth's post... we do NOT grow pototoes in Iowa... that's Idaho. The hogs in Iowa (at least in Northwest Iowa), however, do outnumber the people about ten-to-one...

Roger
No wonder I feel at home there...NC is second only to Iowa in Hog Production

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
. . . . The hogs in Iowa (at least in Northwest Iowa), however, do outnumber the people about ten-to-one...

Roger
So THAT'S what I smell when the wind is out of the southwest.

-Don, just west of Minneapolis
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Numbers in hand, not on my trailer

I too haven't put my numbers on my trailer. Not because I want to hide the fact that I'm in the WBCCI. For me there's a more basic reason....

When I joined the WBCCI my welcome package and numbers arrived. I read through the package and was extremely excited. I then got to the instructions on putting the numbers on my trailer. Measure this many inches, take a pencil and make a straight line, etc. My eyes glazed over and I had flashbacks to kindergarten.....

You see, when I was little my teachers thought I was slow because my handwriting was bad, and I stunk at cut & paste. I was the kid who couldn't color in the lines. Asking me to draw a straight line even with a ruler was nearly impossible. Sure when I was 5 I was reading at a 4th grade level, but that didn't matter to my teachers. I was obviously slow because cut & paste weren't my specialty! Notes often went home to my parents.....I wasn't worried though, too busy reading the Trilogy of the Rings.

So, when I saw how specific and precise laying my numbers out was supposed to be I froze up. Plus I knew, no matter how I tried, my numbers would end up not lined up properly.

Who'd want to to see my childhood trauma played out in big red numbers on my trailer every day?
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetat
So, when I saw how specific and precise laying my numbers out was supposed to be I froze up. Plus I knew, no matter how I tried, my numbers would end up not lined up properly.

Who'd want to to see my childhood trauma played out in big red numbers on my trailer every day?
Bring 'em to the next rally, and I'll help you put them on.

That's the best benefit of being in the club. there's always plenty of help and experience available.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
That was my plan

Chuck,

LOL! That was my plan. I was going to walk around the Spring Into Camping Rally and make puppy eyes at folks who have their stickers on!

Trade ya network services for a person who aced cut & paste!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Wink Posting of numbers and the history thereof...

What is missing is the history behind the posting of the numbers.....

First and foremost, Wally Byam was a tireless promoter and savvy businessman......

The concept of the numbers served to identify the owner of the trailer as being part of a club....
What is ironic here is that the club itself is a "secret society" by tradition; only by owning an Airstream could you be part of the "club".
Many people were enticed into purchasing an Airstream just to be members of the club.

I have a suggestion. There is a photo hosting website called "Shutterfly".
It is a totally free service. One of the advantages is that you can have a shirt printed for $15 that has your custom image that you upload on the front along with a border that they offer (if you prefer).
Why not take a picture of your unit, customize the image with a border that includes your club number (and perhaps your year and model) and wear it.....

At the next rally, on a trip to the store, whenever........

Take the pride that you have in your Airstream and your club literally "a step further".......

Here is the link....

@ http://www.shutterfly.com/

Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Sorry Elizabeth in Iowa, my bad.!
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote