Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #41
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
was stimulated by an incident that occured at the International Rally wherein one member was notably inappropriate in their words to another. It is important we be nice to one another..Renee Ettline
of course that is what the pres message is about....
the question is which 'notably inapporpriate incident'...?

--the unsigned note left on the door of the widower's unit.
seems she was traveling with a 2 pound dog
but was parked in the wrong section...
over by the big wigs in their class mohos...
holding back tears, she considered leaving
until we made a space for her in the pet section...
her dog was pocket size and she was at least 70.
traveling alone in a b van interstate?
the note she found on her door was disgusting.
the coward that left her the note should be publicly spanked.
the note should have been published IN the bb as an example of uglyness.

--the committee chairman who said 'i'll stick my fist up your a$$ if you don't leave'....
oh yes, that's exactly what he said.

--the committe chairwoman
who stuck her finger in a new members face and said...
'your problem is you don' t belong to a unit.
if you did you wouldn't have all the silly questions'
...who then reversed her name tag to hide who she was...

--the 70+ year old couple left in the bull pen over the weekend in 100+ temps...
when parking spots were just 100 yards away and vacant?

--the electrician volunteer who tried to take 2-3 folks to parking spots,
only to have an 'official' block his path
and insist that these folks go back to the bull pen over the week end?
again in 100+ temps.
this electrician volunteer
may have been the hardest working guy on site
for the month that all the officals were mooching utilities.

--the lynch squad band of CB radio busy bodies
who reported my minute by minute activity
as i rode around on a bicycle in a funny hat...
and sent the retired military policeman, wearing a fake sheriff's badge...
to check me out?
this guy is now the self appointed chairman of security for 07?

really renee which disgusting incident?

there were others
and almost all were at the committee chair level,
by nasty mean people
who have either been on their committee
or in charge of their committee way too long....

i can comment on other incidents...
but what is the point?
the 'watch dog' group
that has been set up to report these things has no authority....
and who do they report the incidents too?....
well right back to the committe chairman.....
who was behaving badly.

as tom points out in remembering camping with his grandparents...

so much of this activity and behavior has nothing to do with camping or fellowship.
and is not how older adults in volunteer clubs used to behave.
now, it all has to do with climbing the ladder of titles and imagined self importance,
in an organization that is seriously adrift, taking on water and so lost,
that the large print map taped to the gps is thought to be a napkin?

so ask the pres which incident?
cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
The BB is the leadership's primary (only) vehicle of communicating with the members. If the current version of BB doesn't meet the leaders expectations, then consider less frequent but better.
Good point, bobkelly. I don't see the need for a monthly BB. Quarterly, with maybe one yearly special issue (a focus issue maybe? or seasonal?) That would be enough for me. Then maybe the President would have more time to work on a less cryptic statement.

I'd also like to see a letters column. Maybe some of the feedback and questions that Communicator is getting from members could be addressed and answered for the entire membership at once through the BB.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The sad part of 2air's list is that I could make a similar one based on the Boise I'rally in '98. I do not think those issues will be addressed by a "can't we all get along" message, though. There has to be a process that highlights these kinds of offenses and give those injured a means for redress. Better yet, create a process for training and leadership that minimizes these sorts of things.

The BB has also been rather stagnant in these years. You can look at the membership journals of AARP, IEEE, ARRL, and many other organizations for ideas and insight. I know that QST (the ARRL membership journal) has been through an interesting growth process in the last near hundred years that could provide insight for anyone looking at the BB.

And, I think, one of the BB September columns that needs good discussion are Donna's membership ideas. They show creativity but also, to me, have some concepts whose implications need a bit of exploration.

What I am looking for is action. I don't mean a total revamp of the BB. Just try some simple things; try something different that is visible. Figure out a new way to present the activity schedule. Leverage the web site as a BB partner. Try a different papaer, a different font, using a magazine rather than a newsletter design. Publish an editorial calendar (i.e. have one!).

The flip side of this is that we, as members, have to applaud, direct, encourage, and promote action. We have to realize that sometimes that we have a responsibility to provide constructive feedback when we see action we don't think is in the right direction. We have to recognize and applaud those efforts that we think is in the right direction, even if it is just a small step. And we have to act responsibly ourselves.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well after Bryan's post and last lines I want to wish Renee success with the network and all the members that have volunteered to become communication liasons and I do have hope the new president is earnest, I do. So thanks all of you, it is a positive step.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Hi all.I thought I would just chime in and comment that I'm glad this thread has generated a dialogue on a topic most can agree needs addressing.
There have been some great ideas and suggestions made and its good some are taking a positive approach to this
With a president that seems to be at least aware that some steps have to be taken and with Renee spearheading the commitee gathering suggestions from the membership I can honestly say I am encouraged with future prospects of the club.
This will take some time and you have to walk before you can run.Its important to remember the Blue Beret and the club are run by folks VOLUNTEERING THEIR time.

Maybe a paid professional position can be created to help market the club and the mag.

I will remain positive.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Maybe a paid professional position can be created to help market the club and the mag.

I will remain positive.
Let me save the club some money.
ADD the following:
1, Letters to the editor & questions to the Pres.
2, More DIY.
3, More travel tales from members.

I too am remaining positive about the club. Remember YOU are the club and YOU should make it what you want.

P.S. Whatever you post here needs to be posted on the WBCCI forum. That way we can't be ignored.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Let me save the club some money.
ADD the following:
1, Letters to the editor & questions to the Pres.
2, More DIY.
3, More travel tales from members.

I too am remaining positive about the club. Remember YOU are the club and YOU should make it what you want.

P.S. Whatever you post here needs to be posted on the WBCCI forum. That way we can't be ignored.

I agree with your suggestions of course.They are sound.My comment on the paid position has this reasoning.

1.The club is consistently losing membership and hense...revenue.
2.I believe the club has over 1 million in the bank.I haven't checked but I seem to recall this figure.Someone please correct me if I am in error.So they could afford the proper person.
3.If the proper person is hired and is successful the resulting increase in membership paying dues could pay for the position in itself.
4.I believe that this forum is being heard by those in 'power' and in my opinion only, potentially reaches more current and potential members.I have signed up on the WBCCI forum as well.
5.This position would also show the membership the club is SERIOUS about moving the organization into the 21st century.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 09-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Tom,
I am so glad to see your comment on the forum. I agree totally with you. I have not been in the club long, 6 years or so but I did have the priviledge of joining a unit that had the oldest active membership. I have echoed your very remark a number of times. Those older (and wiser) Airstreamers didn't give a hoot for berets, jacks, or flags. They were a bunch of people who enjoyed each others company and travel. When they left the unit due to their age we lost the HEART.

Many of them were at Aluminations Region One and I had the oportunity to see them again and remember what I liked so much about our unit and feel a bit sad that now it is missing. Common courtesy, manners, grace and kindness.

What we seem to be left with are people who seem to get some sort of "glory" from assuming these positions and focus their attention rules, procedures and everything BUT what the role is meant to be. That of a goodwill ambassador, facilitor, friend and mentor. I have our units history books and have read every newsletter, looked at every picture and like you, not much about ceremony, flags, red coats and berets. Camping fishing, working together as a team and just enjoying each other.

I'm left wondering where did these people who seem to be trying to re-live their glory days when they were "in business" come from? IT's a Camping CLUB PEOPLE!!!! I just want to scream it from the roof tops. Well they've pretty much killed our unit with this attitude but I'm sure they'll continue to look for a scapegoat for the havoc they created with their own bad behavior.
We are moving on to a kinder gentler group, but thanks for justifying what I knew to be true...we have to some degree lost focus of what the club really is. PEOPLE. That's it, relationships, happy memories and connections, meetings and greetings along the road of travel. Thanks Tom
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
I think it boils down to "for profit" vs. "not for profit" model.

Airstream Life is in it for profit and wouldn't make money if they didn't continue to publish something worth paying for.

BB is a nfp organization run mostly by volunteers.
Although someone has to make a living, and by no means the expectation is to become the next mogul like Hearst publishing because they're nomads in a loaner Airstream and not settled in at San Simion, A/S Life is brought to you by the contributors because they have a passion for everything aluminum. Not all club members have a passion for the name of their RV, but they joined because they have a passion to be part of a world class organization, find the club a good excuse to camp with friends/people with similar interests, go new places, whatever. The point is we all have some passion somewhere in some aspect that makes us want to do or belong. The BB does not represent the passion or spirit of what the club is about. The publication just contains a list that could be sent out on January 1st. How many of you purchase everything Airstream? Clothing, hats, travel mugs, door mats, bumper stickers.... You are proud to own the Cadillac of rec vehicles. We show off our unit newsletters and directories, rally and caravan itineraries; does anyone ever showcase the BB? Times have changed, the club has changed - at least move the BB to the next decade. It's been stuck for over 30 years.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Look to the past for your answer

All one needs to do is look to the past to find the answer. If the WBCCI were to start printing the "Caravanner" again with the same format, it would be a hit. It was 8-10 pages long, size of a small news paper(Globe, Star, etc..) pics of rallies/caravans, new features/trailers, few stories, a couple rally dates/places. I have a few, they are a blast to read and make you want to use your Airstream.

Paul Waddell
WDCU 1stVP (to be impeached)
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #51
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
All one needs to do is look to the past to find the answer. If the WBCCI were to start printing the "Caravanner" again with the same format, it would be a hit. It was 8-10 pages long, size of a small news paper(Globe, Star, etc..) pics of rallies/caravans, new features/trailers, few stories, a couple rally dates/places. I have a few, they are a blast to read and make you want to use your Airstream.

Paul Waddell
WDCU 1stVP (to be impeached)

That's so true Paul.I used to love looking at the "Caravanner".I even saw one on ebay not too long ago.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Tom,
...we have to some degree lost focus of what the club really is. PEOPLE. That's it, relationships, happy memories and connections, meetings and greetings along the road of travel.
That's it in a nut shell. Well said rgesch, very well said.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Send the photos! Like everything else in WBCCI, volunteers are key since this is a volunteer run club. What about submitting an article on why the New England Unit is so successful attracting younger members? A helpful hints article sharing what works for you? Let me know what you think.

There used to be a "Still Working" column until the author got a promotion and a new baby and his time became short. Maybe someone else could submit to write a similar column. Its worth a try.

By the way, traditions regarding wine or other beverages vary with Units. Last year at the Mid-Winter International Board of Trustees Rally (which is open to all members and was a good rally) we enjoyed a Margarita party and an optional, for an additional fee, steak dinner with Champaign fountains. Some Units have happy hour, some tend to be more on the dry side.

Renee
Hi Renee,

Photos will be sent - still gathering them from various R1R attendees. BTW, there are some great ones in the bunch I've received so far!

As for doing something up about the NEU's success for the BB - I'm not a writer but am willing to put something together with the help of folks in my Unit. It will be a while though, got too much going on in the "still working" department. Will have some of my life back in mid-December and could begin working on an article then.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think the new (old) format would be very cool especially after the 50 year anniversary, especially is it would be all about just camping traveling and having fun in the club. Here is an old thread with copy of a 1992 Caravanner posted by 2Air if you missed seeing a copy.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ews-21341.html

photography
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #55
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think the new (old) format would be very cool especially after the 50 year anniversary, especially is it would be all about just camping traveling and having fun in the club. Here is an old thread with copy of a 1992 Caravanner posted by 2Air if you missed seeing a copy.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ews-21341.html

Carol,the Caravanner I was referring to was published years before the 1992 attempt to bring it back and was much different in format. Here's a sample:

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...anernwsltr.pdf

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Keep It Up

I have read this entire thread, so many great posts. I came away with the feeling that the WBCCI and BB are much like a Vintage Trailer. Great structure, classic style, timeless appeal, and a loyal following. Like a Vintage Trailer some repairs are needed, polishing here and there, updates to modern features but what a great foundation to work with. The people who can do this are here making posts and those who have been loyal members of WBCCI for years. Just like restoring a trailer you will have to work hard to complete the task. You will have areas which resist the repair and refuse to yield to the first attempt at a correction. I detected no apathy in the posts, which is the really enemy of change. I have a good feeling for the future of WBCCI and the BB.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Carol,the Caravanner I was referring to was published years before the 1992 attempt to bring it back and was much different in format. Here's a sample:

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...anernwsltr.pdf
Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and will go back and look it over more closely. I did look through and see all the pictures of active Airstreamers. That is what I want to open up and see, just what I see posted on this forum from the active Airstreamers! I want to look at the pictures and say that could be me! (I mean that in a good way-not the orbits or sky med )

The budget doesn't allow for more? Why not? Let's skip a couple of flags and gas allowances or some freebies and perks and do something that benefits all the members and hit them where they live, right at home.

You don't have to pay to get professional contributions and volunteers. It's not profit vs club publication issue, it's setting the standards higher and working towards it and having someone with vision directing it. I have seen full color newsletters from units filled with pictures and reports of fun and it still also includes upcoming business meeting particulars. It can be done. Aim high. If you aim low what can you hope to accomplish. Too many places, too many times when members make suggestions the usual WBCCI response is one to qualify itself.

photography
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

My problems with the BB are the same problems I have with WBCCI. It's dull and boring and it's a lot of people wearing berets. It's also sexist -- I cannot believe I'm a life member of an organization who makes such a big deal about "first ladies."

That said, it's actually the same as Airstream Life: it's available to everyone. Everyone who subscribes (joins). I don't get Airstream Life because I prioritize the other magazines over it. Once we recover a little from the life memberships in WBCCI and Good Sams we'll add Airstream Life.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Let's add another problem - finding reasons to dismiss ideas.

We've got some good examples of that in this thread. Look for them. Think about what is really being said.

Can we learn from other organizations even if they are not of the same type and size as WBCCI? Some seem to think not.

Does a change in the BB really mean a budget breaker? Some seem to think so.

Is there an excess of hubris in various places? A lot of folks seem to think so.

Does being nonprofit mean an organization can't be businesslike? Some seem to think so.

There are also a lot of good examples of people who are chipping in, actually doing something with their ideas. Look for them, too. What can you think of that will enhance and leverage their efforts?

One think to keep in mind, though, is that issue of focus and purpose that has been mentioned. Are your efforts addressing the important problems or are they salve on symptoms?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #60
_

. , .
hi 65gt

agree completely with your 'get on board' view...
if members of the wb want a different bb,
they need to contribute...send in stories, pics and so on.
and without spending an extra penny the rally calendar could be in 8 issues,
with 4 focused on the fun stuff folks here want to read...
that would be a simple step forward with lots of time for the fun issues,
and lots of issues to repeat the calendar over and over...
bryan is correct. the club can learn from other organizations and can improve without spending money.

while peegreen has reminded us this thread is for bashing

i'm not down on the current bb. it is what it is.
no desire on my part to send in material for publication...
i can do it here. we all can do it here. and get instant feedback...
i had lots of fun with my rally thread...
would a condensed version have been interesting in the bb...
perhaps...but not my story...too many sharp edges for the over 70 reader.

as jim notes reading the posts in this thread is interesting...
because a wide range have expressed views...many that seldom post too.
there IS passion for the club...or rather for A club...

and i like the 50s style caraVanner...
which was produced and published by airstream for the wb, which they owned...
airstream corp was good for the wb and the publication.
club history supports this basically without exception.

last comment on the bb...
it was and can be used as a weapon to pound new members...
the most common answer given to new members AT the int rally...
"did you bring your blue beret....did you read your bb...the answer was IN the bb!"
see...in addition to a cb, it was expected that folks carried the last 4 months of the bb in their trailers!

no i've not sat on these examples of 'ugly'...
i spoke with some caring mid levels at the rally, at the time...
while sympathetic they seemed resolved to 'oh thats too bad'
rather than lets go solve this...
the lady with the 2lb dog was too much of a lady
and the old couple in the heat 'expected' to be treated as they were...
and many 'first timers' or mals
who came early shared other examples of being treated badly...
by committee chairs or long time members...
as bryan has correctly suggested folks who were never trained OR skilled
in basic leadership or group process.
i only mentioned these personal examples today because renee popped the issue
which was obvious 2me in the pres message.
i have no need or desire to right these wrongs
or post on the wb forums...
others can do that if they like...
i prefer the wider and more varied views here...

and as harsh as this might read...
the commication liason committee is a joke...
take a look at their charge or descripted functions
and paraphrase it here in simple terms...

go ahead. if you will, i will.

there are many really fine folks in the wb....
and a few really fine units, with special rallys and activities
these facts are not in dispute.

did we have different experiences at the international?
you arrived mid rally, without a trailer.
also you were there for exactly the right reason....a legislative issue.

i went to simply to camp with other airstreamers, meet people and have fun.

that is NOT the primary purpose for the international rally...and i sure know it now.
it IS primarily a delgates meeting. with multiple lesser uses....
local/regional wb rallies have greater potential for fun/intimacy/friendship.

in another thread someone observed that many of the officers had been 'camped' in salem for a month before the general membership arrived.
it was hot. it was on asphalt. many were parked right by the main activity areas...they were tired, grumpy and in charge.
and they hated the fact that hundreds of people were walking right by/through their space to get to event....

so as someone else suggested the officers and past pres's should be scattered about with the rank and file....oh but wait i'm thinking of a camping event again...

so who else has been to a jimmy carter sermon?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote