Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
_

. , .
hello periodical readers.......

the 1st post suggested the bb needs a make over....
while i agree in general, how to arrive at the make over is an issue.

if and when the club evolves the bb will too...
until then it represents exactly what the wb is now...
whatever that is.

now pieman and klevan,
we usually share very similar views on these wb issues...
and over the last year i'd agree the pres column was wasted strokes...

but don s has got my eye...
his words coming oh so close to nailing it...

last month he almost wrote the club needed change2survive...

now he writes 'the enemy is within the club'
couldn't agree more.

so much so that i've made this comment too.
and been blasted for it on these forums...
thats ok...it's still my view.

yes he hides his message in jimmycarter,
and other tangental thoughts on being nice....

but the message i read is...

when veteran club members, leaders or officers are unkind (ugly)
to individuals (new or prospective members)
it hurts those individuals AND it hurts the club...
this may be the slngle most important issue for gaining and keeping new members.
furthermore, this usually happens when personal interests/gain/egos
are placed ahead of the common good...in this case the club or a 'band of friends'

this is my interpretation of his column this month...
the message is given in a very round about way...
but it is there....in his words...

perhaps he's been reading the forums....

cheers
2air'

oh and as for the teen queen cover...
they've been doing this a long time...
here is pic of the 1992 cover...
and a link to that issue...
like the club, not much has changed.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=big+news

too bad all the other contestants are not on the cover too or pictured somewhere inside...
more should receive credit...
and have something embarassing to look forward to...
in 20 years.

and while i do like air life...at least the bb arrives on time...if not mangled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb 1992007.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	25679  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
But the thing is we are all comparing apples & oranges here...

Airstream Life is an entertainment magazine put out by professionals. While the Blue Beret is a club newsletter with info on upcoming events, rallies & caravans.

Comparing the two is like comparing a National Geographic or People magazine and a bus schedule. They each serve their purpose. Yes, the BB newsletter could be a bit more dymanic, but it serves it's intended purpose. We also don't pay $32 a year for it alone...it's produced from a portion of our annual club membership dues by volunteers.

BTW, I too look forward to each and every issue of AirstreamLife...and not so much for the Blue Beret.

You want more rally & "fun" pictures, submit some, they will be printed, I've had several included.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Shari Nails It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Airstream Life is an entertainment magazine put out by professionals. While the Blue Beret is a club newsletter with info on upcoming events, rallies & caravans.

Comparing the two is like comparing a National Geographic or People magazine and a bus schedule. They each serve their purpose.

Shari
...as does 2Air. Read with 2Air's "Cliff Notes" in the context of Shari's analysis of purpose and scope, Don's message appears to contain a certain spark of recognition that the club needs to transform itself. As 2Air opines,
as the club becomes more interesting to more Airstreamers, so will the Blue Beret.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
there I find Bernice and Malcom Nadler smiling at me from the SkyMEd advertisement. I'm not sure that I want to read about their medical evacutation month after month.
Although SkyMed lists the Nadler's as WBCCI members, a quick check of the directory contains no mention of them. Mal's CB handle was "Destroyer". It was his reputation - demo'd more than one Airstream and autos. When I was a kid only a few short years ago, they attended every rally we went to. They lived in an apartment just outside NYC and very frequently parked their trailer at my folks house. When my parents couldn't attend a rally, they used to pick me up and take me along. Haven't heard from them in 20 years. Glad to see they're OK. How 'bout a poll. Willing to spend a few more bucks for a quality newsletter? I always wait in anticipation for the NEU's "Quipper" - a very fine monthly newsletter. I don't think it would take much to solicit a few contributors to add some interesting articles and a few more pictures. The content now is just a listing of club activities (many: to be announced), caravans and ads.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #25
Craftsman

I use mine to clean fish on or wrap the coffee grinds. Where are the interesting articles?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
We have met the enemy, and they are...us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Recieved my BB day before yesterday. The first thing I read is the presidents column. I have read this one over at least 4 times and have yet to figure out what Don is saying. He speaks in such generalities that I have no idea what he said ,who he's addressing or what he's talking about. Perhaps someone can clarify this for me!!---pieman
I agree that Don Shafer's "President's Corner" article is very poorly written. He starts with an excellent heading but does not follow through with any enlightening content.
He goes on to say "it is the ugly that causes hurt and discontent to individuals"..."this is, to me, the primary cause of the problem of retention..."

Makes me wonder why he is so vague.
Is he trying to be polite?
Maybe he does not know the primary cause of the problem of retention.

I think the primary cause is that the average WBCCI rally is not much fun!
The rallies seem to be geared toward the oldest and most frugal member.
Most meals are not memorable. Here is a group meal of "hot dogs, hamburgers, cold watermelon and soft drinks" (this is a direct quote from page 37 of the Sept. BB. The typical restaurant choices are not very interesting either.
It would be easy to make an arguement for gearing the rallies to the average member instead of the oldest & most frugal. What a concept
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
too bad all the other contestants are not on the cover too or pictured somewhere inside...
more should receive credit...
and have something embarassing to look forward to...
in 20 years.
Actually, there is a good point there. Why doesn't the BB devote at least an issue to covering what happened at international? Instead, when Intl is over, they move right on to planning the next one. The end result is that many people still have no idea what goes on there. Just another opportunity missed.

Perhaps they think that everyone capable of going to Intl was there, so there is no need to talk about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Forums seems to provide the most insight to the International long before and after the event.Now back to bashing, as this is the cruxt of this post:Returning to the photo page.... Now I have nothing against folks that are older than me, they were once young, and in the future I too will be old...er.The deer is the youngest living thing on the entire page. This looks like an RV storage lot. No awnings deployed, no flags flying, no one polishing, no pot lucking, no chili cook off or lobsta feast, no one standing around posing except for that deer. Maybe it was venison roast night?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I hesitate to reply as I have only posted a few times. But I thought I would. I am a third generation Airstreamer and have seen the changes over the past 40 years (I am 50 and started when I was 8 or so). The folks that run the show (WBCCI) are so much different than when I was a kid going on caravans and stuff with my parents and grandparents. Those older folks had fun and didn't have the stuffiness and the rigidity that the leadership seems to have today. The older folks in the 60's and 70's just wanted to go camping and have a good time with friends that they have made on their travels. I have a photo from the middle 60's of my Grandfather and a bunch of men on a beach in Mexico shucking some kind of shell fish wearing only shorts, laughing and having a blast. Not a beret on any of their heads or a shirt on their torso. They didn't care so much about protocol, etc. They did to a degree to keep order in the organization but not like now. I can not imagine my Grandmother wearing white gloves at an international. Anyway, memories of a time gone by.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
blue beret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Mine used to come looking like it had been attacked by wild badgers, but recently they have been showing up in good shape.

What's a spiritual session?
at least you all have received yours. i have not yet had a single issue after joining (re joining w.b.c.c.i ) that is back in may o6. that goesfor the v.a.c. also ,whom i also prepaid, which to me is a bit more suprising to me,also a more enjoyable mag. but needless to say i have asked both for a refund of payment this week after numerous inquiry as i never have received any issues from either of them. wayne wunder
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
If you do not like the BB, submit and article and some photo's. I remember Terri's article series still working. I looked forward to those issues. My wife and I are putting together a submission for the BB covering out Mystery rally we went on.

forgive my rant, but this (like many other threads bashing the WBCCI) seems to be a gripe session.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I use mine to clean fish on or wrap the coffee grinds.
isn't that hard on the fish?
and how did they get dirty?

isn't a coffee grinds wrap..
a new mcdonalds' breakfast item?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I bet the WBCCI could upgrade the look and quality of the BB with minimal expenditure. In fact I would guess that within the WBCCI ranks are the following needed to upgrade the look and quality if called upon:
1. Art Director/Graphic Designer to oversee the layout and overall look and feel of the publication
2. Printer who could print out the probably 7000 issues every month on a better quality paper than newsprint rag (or at least a goon connection to one).
3. Photographer(s) with an eye on composition.
4. Copywriter/Editor to keep the writing clean and interesting.

With the professional abilities of the members of this group I don't see why it is not possible to improve this one part of the club "in house" where possible.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
And if they took advantage of the net they could use all those individuals without even having them in the same room, passing the documents around. This is pretty well how AS Life works, without having to have everyone together in a central office.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Send your photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I'd like the Blue Beret to be more like Good Sam Clubs magazine "Highways" in content. But then Good Sam has about a zillion more members than the WBCCI and has the cash to do a good job on it's publication. At least (and I know this is not PC) I'd like to see photos in the Blue Beret of younger WBCCI members, and I'm not talking about member's grandchildren!

I'm gathering the best photos from the 2006 Region One Rally which was held by the New England Unit to submit for publication - concerns I have is many of our photos show Airstreams without the red numbers attached. Many folks in our Unit "just say no" to this - I know because I'm one of them! Besides that we have wine on our dinner tables in the photos. We'll see if anything happens once I send the collection into headquarters.

Send the photos! Like everything else in WBCCI, volunteers are key since this is a volunteer run club. What about submitting an article on why the New England Unit is so successful attracting younger members? A helpful hints article sharing what works for you? Let me know what you think.

There used to be a "Still Working" column until the author got a promotion and a new baby and his time became short. Maybe someone else could submit to write a similar column. Its worth a try.

By the way, traditions regarding wine or other beverages vary with Units. Last year at the Mid-Winter International Board of Trustees Rally (which is open to all members and was a good rally) we enjoyed a Margarita party and an optional, for an additional fee, steak dinner with Champaign fountains. Some Units have happy hour, some tend to be more on the dry side.

Renee
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The presidents colum did address a problem. Sure he was vague but then he is talking to a mixed group. He made his point but of more intrest to me was that he brought the issue up at all. I see that as a positive. Any sign of acknowledgment and attempt to address whats wrong is good. Gives me hope.

I don't think anyone is wowed by the BB but then its really a club info mag anyway. I would love to see more articles from members about trips took or more fixit DIY articles. I would hope that if members submitted them they would be printed. Incidentely I found an caraven That we can attend. Its a three dayer over a weekend! ZOINKS!! A weekender that working people can attend. Has somebody been listening to the members?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I really like the ideas from Steph, Renee and Tim. I think it would help immensely to see more about how the events turned out with pictures and stories. Once in a while I see a picture of a hobo rally or some such thing but it does not inspire me to attend. Just like members here on the forum post their pictures and stories of the fun they have at their rallies is the type of thing that would show people more of what it's all about. Less forms, repetition of rules and guidelines, and less emphasis on the aging of the club --yeah the Sky Med and the orbits is a huge turnoff.

As Tim said the club has the talent within, perhaps those currently in charge of the publication could offer to let themselves be helped. Those few enumerated changes would make a world of difference. You tell me just who among us picks the product with the worst packaging? How about those old Woolworth menu food pictures??? Not exactly appetizing.

As Renee and Steph said if the pictures and stories get sent in there is a much better chance to having them published. I'd like to see more variety than all the columns with the very same author each issue.

Aluminations and the Rocky Mountain Vintage, or the Texas rally, the Sierra Nevada Unit, among MANY others would be a treat to read more about. News-real news like Heart of Texas and the 4 corners units trying to get established. That is really club news and it seems to be censored and discouraged. Hide it and it may go away? Not to be encouraged? Well then print the viewpoint on both sides. That is a newsletter. The Blue Beret should be complete and it should be impartial in its representation. If a few ads and forms have to be sent out separately in a coupon book so be it, and make some room and some attempt to find current news for the newsletter.

I just want to add that the long standing members that are active and motivated may not rely heavily upon the Blue Beret for information, but if we are to reach new people the Blue Beret is the only assured communication they receive with the club. It is delivered right to their hands and it needs to appeal to a newbie and give them what they need to know what it's all about.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
OKAY..HERE'S THE SCOOP

I've checked with Don Shafer to verify the meaning of his message. It has nothing to do with the name change but was stimulated by an incident that occured at the International Rally wherein one member was notably inappropriate in their words to another. It is important we be nice to one another.

If you are a WBCCI member, then you are the face of the club. You represent the club when you interact with others. A new or potential member can be not only hurt, but also totally turned away from an organization by one person if that person is unkind or rude.

We as a club are hurt by folks who act inappropriately and might be dubbed "enemies in our midst". I believe his is a caution to all of us to remember that hurtful, unwelcoming comments are not in keeping with our goals of fun, fellowship and adveture.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
How come there's never any hype about the upcoming issue of the Blue Beret? Subscribers weigh in from all over the continent waiting and tracking their issue of Airstream Life.
I think it boils down to "for profit" vs. "not for profit" model.

Airstream Life is in it for profit and wouldn't make money if they didn't continue to publish something worth paying for.

BB is a nfp organization run mostly by volunteers.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Hi----Eventhough I'm new to this forum, I'll chime in on the BB just in case the leadership of WBCCI uses us for idea gathering. The current leadership wants the BB to look like it does and its content to be what it is, or they are missing a great opportunity. The BB is the leadership's primary (only) vehicle of communicating with the members. If the current version of BB doesn't meet the leaders expectations, then consider less frequent but better.

Salem was my first internatiional and very interesting. Everyone was very friendly and went out of their way to greet us first timers with our distinctive badging. The AS supplier 30 minute seminars were great and major value added. Ditto the seminars on the various aspects of caravaning. The evening entertainment was enjoyable. The lack of diversity of any type in the top leadership (age,size, dress, AS vehicle, etc, etc) was very evident.
At future internationals, it would be great to have the top leaders dispersed around the grounds and interfacing with the membership instead of having their own exclusive camp at the front door of the meeting halls.----Bob WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote