Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Positive Thoughts

I'm suprised there is not a thread of comments on the last Blue Beret. What a refreshing image of the new president and his wife, with NO tie, NO beret, in front of their rig. I'm very impressed.
At our region 1 rally, NO TIES, and only the Beret for the brief opening ceremony....even the flag ceremony was nicely abbreviated........and simplified. I"m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel?
Now if we could just renstate Leo and let him and others help the club with such fantastic ideas as the Nascar Rally.......
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Couldn't agree with you more Dan. It is a great cover and shot of the IP and First Lady with obviously more casual posing than we have been used to seeing. I also agree that Leo should be reinstated.

You can see and download the Blue Beret online here blueberet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbcoverbeu.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	109018  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Lite at the end of the Tunnel .Its actually an on coming train.
Id smile too if somelse paid all my travel expenses.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Lite at the end of the Tunnel .Its actually an on coming train.
Id smile too if somelse paid all my travel expenses.
I really gotta jump in here with an unfortunate observation.

I originally followed this multiple series of threads on WBCCI with mild interest – which quickly changed to pure entertainment value – eventually changed to morbid fascination – and I finally stopped following it out of disgust – opting to simply wait it out till the fighting was over and see what emerged from the ashes.

This particular thread was started in good faith – it pointed out a fresh and welcome observation – indications of the beginnings of a positive change - I really hope that it does not deteriorate into a tiresomely repetitive litany of shoot-from-the-hip comments like the one above – these are not helpful and do nothing more than demonstrate there is more than one set of folks of with their heads in the sand.

I don't know diddlysquat about this new President (or any President for that matter) – but there is some interesting context behind this guy. Doesn't matter what his politics are - he accepted the job in a time of plummeting membership and skyrocketing controversy - he accepted the job of running WBCCI at likely the lowest point in its history - this guy does NOT have an enviable job.

In the new issue of the Blue Beret there is some more fresh air emerging in the Presidents Message:
  • an obvious effort to change the visual image
  • a recognition of the need for change:
    • sentiments like "organization in transition",
  • a sign of listening to membership:
    • "influenced by your concerns and ideas",
    • "understand the difficulties of working families and participation".
Yes - maybe a lot to read between the lines.

Time will tell if the issues of WBCCI will truly be dealt with.

Regardless: I want to emphasis again - tiresome and shoot-from-the-hip comments like those above are simply not helpful in any way, shape or form.

I look forward to joining WBCCI one day – today may not be the day – but this issue of Blue Beret does show the promise of potential.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Let me agree 100% with RangerJay's observations on this thread.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Davenport , Iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to MRHottinger Send a message via Skype™ to MRHottinger
Well said RangerJay. We are new and right now in it for our local benefit and the people have been great. It was great to see the change for the positive happening. Maybe somebody woke up and said, "you know the membership really cares."
"Leaders need to be optimists. Their vision is beyond the present." Rudy Giuliani

Have a great weekend. Enjoy your Airstream and your freinds if you can and if you can't, just enjoy some good friends.
1980 31' Excella II
2003 Silverado HD Crew Cab

"We must become the change we want to see."
- Mahatma Gandhi
MRHottinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
WBCCI Member Forum

I received this email today concerning the WBCCI Member Forum. Any idea what this is about???????

"The current situation regarding the member private forum has been a subject of much discussion among the admin/moderators.

It has become a forum of complaints and arguments with little or no resolution which the leadership hasn't been able to find the time to read, and only occasionally respond to.

The frustration of posting members continues to grow to a level that isn't healthy for anyone. Certainly not the positive asset the club might have benefited from.

We are working to resolve the situation and expect to have the private forum reopened in the near future.

We appreciate you understanding at this time."

It was sent by
forum@vintage-airstream.com; on behalf of; cbburke@sitestar.net
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I received this email today concerning the WBCCI Member Forum. Any idea what this is about???????

"The current situation regarding the member private forum has been a subject of much discussion among the admin/moderators.

It has become a forum of complaints and arguments with little or no resolution which the leadership hasn't been able to find the time to read, and only occasionally respond to.

The frustration of posting members continues to grow to a level that isn't healthy for anyone. Certainly not the positive asset the club might have benefited from.

We are working to resolve the situation and expect to have the private forum reopened in the near future.

We appreciate you understanding at this time."

It was sent by
forum@vintage-airstream.com; on behalf of; cbburke@sitestar.net
This is obviously referring to the official WBCCI forum, members only section, not anything on Airforums
My hat is off to Charlie for recognizing the problem.
I am a member of that forum, and have received the same e mail
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Leo like this one?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-new-post.html

The thread is gone?

Can someone explain please?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Smile Reading Between The Lines

Yes! you are right on Ranger J. Many things are going on (between the lines) that will result in a much better WBCCI. Things have cooled off for several very good reasons. For these things to be successful they obviously cannot be discussed or debated in open forums. I am familiar with what is going on and I can tell you that our new WBCCI management team is fully on board.

And yes! They do read the Airforums threads and follow the comments. However, when they get vitriolic and contain personnel attacks they tune the stuff out, just as I do. I have been in the club for about 25 years and many times have tried, unsuccessfully, to make changes. For WBCCI to be truly successful I believe the club must be brought into the 21st Century so it can attract the thousands of younger Airstream owners that are not currently members.

Unfortunately there are hotheads on both sides. We tend to see the younger generation on Airforums because many of the older members don't speak computer. However, we should not forget that a majority of the current WBCCI members are either happy with the way the club has been run, just don't like change or do not care. Any governing group that runs an organization usually makes decisions that satisfy the majority of the members. This makes it tough for a new adminstration to institute any major changes in club operation. It takes some guts, intelligence and a recognition of the seriousness of the problems to go against the majority.

So lets cool it and stop the attacks and snide remarks which do nothing to help the situation. By doing this we can help the process and not stir up negative feelings which contribute nothing. Remember we have two generations to convince that this is the right thing to do for our club.

Ultimately it will be the Region Presidents that will make the final decision and they will be swayed by their members. If the changes that are made increase the membership, reduce costs and provide a pool of new talent to run the club than the majority of the members will gladly support them.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Leo like this one?

Airstream forums - Airstream Forums

The thread is gone?

Can someone explain please?
The link was inadvertently moved in between the original thread posting and the time post #10 above was made. The link should now work.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Thanks Jay & Howard for your post. We agree with you 100%. Couldn't have said it better.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
I am hopeful that the present IP will be the agent for change that many of us have been waiting for. Now I do not expect he will do everything needful in his term. I will feel warm all over if there is a real and meaningful movement in that direction. I will give him every benefit of the doubt and all assistance possible. This will be the last gasp and if there is no meaningful outcome, "good-by Club". The new IP and his lady seem to me like people I'd like to rally with! Let's cut them a bit of slack.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I too have been impressed with what I have seen and heard of the new WBCCI president. He has reached out to ask the Vintage Airstream Club to provide a running article in the Blue Beret. I have found him to be open to positive discussion of change.

And you are right, he stepped up in difficult times when it truly is hard to find anyone to who will make the commitment to run up the VP track to President. Running the club is a challenge that is not undertaken lightly. Contrary to what is often stated here, club officers are not reimbursed for their expenses anywhere near 100%. When they enter the VP track, they make a significant time and financial commitment to the club, even if some of their expenses are reimbursed.

I too see many signs that things are changing within the club. And it seems like the pace of change is increasing, too. I expect more of the same (meaning change) in the upcoming year, even if the pace of change is less than some members (or potential members) would like.

Does the club have issues? Yes, but while some are sitting on the sidelines waiting for change, some of us are involved and having fun. In the end, you are responsible for your own enjoyment level. I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said some like:
Quote:
I find that a man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be.
If you look for the positive in the club you will find it, but conversely, if you look for the negative, you too will find it.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I was shocked to #1 find an online version of the Blue Beret and #2 to find that the picture was casual. I also heard that the international rally had full hookups and the Region rallys are also going to full hookup locations. I attended my first WBCCI unit meeting as a kid with my parents over 30 years ago. To me, those people were OLD. 3 decades later, most members are no younger than 60 and many are in their 80's and higher. Many units are getting smaller as members are passing away. No doubt there is a major generational change happening and the WBCCI has to adapt to survive. Hopefully it will. The only time I ever wore my beret was to get a good laugh from the family...in this instance with my dad and the couple who signed us up at our first WBCCI meeting in 1977. We all took our berets out of storage for this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000-11-00-012.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	109255  
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote