Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
WBCCI - One Man's Positive Opinion

Last weekend I attended our Region 11 Rally in Fort Collins, CO. The weather was miserable. Our cheerful Colorado sunshine was absent, muscled aside by dreary overcast gray days with penetrating cold temperatures to heighten the uniformly dull mood. Nighttime brought darkness, below freezing temperatures, a few inches of snow and, on the last night, a thin coat of freezing rain. People’s water hoses and sewer hoses froze, their water pumps malfunctioned, and some tow vehicles had a hard time starting each morning. Was I disappointed and sorry I attended such a potentially miserable WBCCI event? Not in the least!

I looked forward to this low altitude, 3 point hook-up winter condition rally to test how my ’64 Globe Trotter would fare during winter camping. I had the catalytic heater running on high all weekend and the trailer remained comfortable, giving me confidence it could handle cold weather but telling me it might benefit from the largest catalytic heater available. Watching my neighbors on their knees, laboriously thawing their water hoses and sewer pipes with electric hair dryers, taught us all how to adjust our use of water in below-freezing temperatures. Two warm night’s sleep told me I had piled on just the right number of wool blankets. All this freezing weather camping helps me prepare for celebrating this New Year’s Eve boondocking at 11,000’ elevation in Rocky Mountain National Park without any hookups. I’m now confident I’ll survive up there.

Was every facet of the Region 11 Rally to my personal liking? Of course not. The food, though not inspired, was good, was warm, and I did not have to prepare it (though I contributed). There were informative seminars on trailer maintenance and repair, and some that held no interest for me, though others might have found them enjoyable. If an event did not appeal to me, rather than suffer through it I simply did not attend it. That’s pretty easy to figure out.

Yet the entertainment (a violin and accordion duo that made talk difficult during dinner and for which we all had to shut up and politely listen to immediately afterwards, as if in church) remained insipid in a way only the WBCCI has truly mastered. If Hollywood every awarded “SIPPYS” for totally uninspiring and annoying entertainment, the WBCCI would sweep each category. They gotta get a new booking agent! Better yet, just can the entertainment entirely and promote Fellowship by letting us members talk and enjoy each other’s company instead of making us sit down and shut up as if in a pew.

Nevertheless, for me the most enjoyable part of the Rally was talking to my WBCCI elders about the neatest places to see and visit throughout the Rocky Mountain West. The collective camping and travel experience and knowledge of WBCCI members is awesome. Our elders can tell you firsthand about the best places to visit nationwide or in your locale, the best routes to take or avoid getting there, where and where not to stay, and what to do or avoid while there. If you don’t like what’s on the rally agenda they have provided, then ask them individually about the travel and camping agenda that most interests you. Yeah, at times they may be as crabby, demanding, grumpy or interesting as your Mother. But they also are a tremendous resource, with much wisdom and experience to impart. So dig the potatoes out of your ears, open up your mind, ask and listen. You can learn a lot if you occasionally turn off the music in your head and direct your attention elsewhere.

I look forward to many more WBCCI events with friends I know and those I have yet to meet.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jan and I attended the same rally with Fred last week. We are in Southern Utah working our way home.

We did not know what to expect at the rally, but as a Unit President I felt that we needed to attend. We were pleasantly surprised and had a great time. We enjoyed the time we spent with our friends old and new. The food was fine and the entertainment was entertaining. There were members of all ages from all over the region.

It certainly was not a 4CU type rally, but being with our friends made it worth the trip.

The weather was miserable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	88940  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Smile WBCCI - One Man's Positive Opinion

Greetings Fred!

I am with you . . . each WBCCI event is in great part what you want to make of the experience. One of the first things that I did in 1995 (when I was 36 years old) after I purchased my Overlander was to join the WBCCI and have been a member ever since (a Lifetime member for the past several years in fact). I have yet to attend a WBCCI function where I haven't found plenty of interesting things to do. My experience mirrors yours; while I am not interested in every activity offered, I feel like I have always found plenty to get my money's worth.

In many ways my WBCCI friends are a big part of my extended family. I find myself looking forward to attending many events just to have the opportunity to catch up with my WBCCI family. One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is how much an Airstream seems to be a "Fountain of Youth" - - outsiders looking in upon a WBCCI event may think many of the members are "old-timers", when the truth is that despite a little gray hair most of these WBCCI members have more verve and stamina than persons 15 or 20 years their junior.

I am fortunate as well in that I belong to a very wonderful local unit - - the Wisconsin Unit. When I joined, Wisconsin was my home . . . even after moving several hundred miles South, I have maintained my membership there as I still enjoy making as many of the Unit activities as I can. Over the years, I have attended activites hosted by a number of different Units including DENCO, Southern Illinois, Cleveland OH, and Western Kentucky. Each Unit tends to interpret the rally experience in a slightly different way, but that is part of what makes being a WBCCI member so enjoyable for me.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Froodles anyone?

We were the newbies there and are glad we went. The folks are great. Our trailer was put thru the test and passed with flying colors. We used the onboard tank for water and kept the spigot hose inside. When we were readying to leave, and to our suprise, the dump valves were not frozen. So we could take care of that business.

The only winter downside was being met back at home with 14 inches of snow. So we needed our 4-wheel drive to get through town to our house.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Violin and accordion is my second favorite instrumental duet. The first is bagpipe and picalo (sp).

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Sounds like an adventure! We enjoy our outings with our unit although we agree on the entertainment. Especially the "sitting in a church pew" part. We were pushed to leave the table we had dinner at to sit at the chairs lined up at the stage. When we didn't move we certainly go looks! But I think everyone is trying to respect each other even though we do get teased for I late night at the campfires! In my own belief, the problems with the WBCCI is not at the unit level. Somehow things get distorted at the International level.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Let me entertain you!

Be careful what you wish for. My instrument of choice is the accordion. Maybe we'll see you at a rally and you can dance to the "beer barrel polka"...or the quintesencial "lady of spain"...and if that doesn't excite you...we'll break out the ukulele's!
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Lettuce Entertain U . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Be careful what you wish for. My instrument of choice is the accordion. Maybe we'll see you at a rally and you can dance to the "beer barrel polka"...or the quintesencial "lady of spain"...and if that doesn't excite you...we'll break out the ukulele's!
Hi Roadrunner: I have nothing against either the violin or the accordion. In fact, I enjoy them both . . . but not in my ear during dinner when I have to fight them to carry on a conversation . . . or during dessert when I'd rather continue chatting with my table mates than have to stifle myself out of respect for the performers (which I did). It's not the instruments that bother me, its the mandatory imposition of silence at a time when Fellowship is flourishing at the dinner table. I'd much rather chat with my friends and catch up with their goings-on than suffer in silence listening to some performers whom I wouldn't even summon to my worse enemy's funeral.

As for ukuleles, I'll simply note I have many fine ukin' friends in the California El Camino Real Unit who make the Arthur Godfrey Play-Along-Club look like a bunch of pikers. I greatly enjoy their enthusiasm and strum-urn-dang! But they respectfully wait until after everybody has finished dinner, dessert, a cigar and brandy before breaking out their mighty ukes and into song.

From my point of view, entertainment has its time and place . . . but it does not intersect with dinner or dessert. Perhaps I'll have to create an imaginary drawing room to retire to whilst the dinner music plays. . . .
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Here is a picture of the ECR ukulele group at the Salem International after the VAC awards presentation.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Uke Band.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	88954  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Here is a picture of the ECR ukulele group at the Salem International after the VAC awards presentation.

Bill
Thanks for the video, that's the best rendition of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" I've ever heard.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Fred!

I am with you . . . each WBCCI event is in great part what you want to make of the experience. One of the first things that I did in 1995 (when I was 36 years old) after I purchased my Overlander was to join the WBCCI and have been a member ever since (a Lifetime member for the past several years in fact). I have yet to attend a WBCCI function where I haven't found plenty of interesting things to do. My experience mirrors yours; while I am not interested in every activity offered, I feel like I have always found plenty to get my money's worth.

In many ways my WBCCI friends are a big part of my extended family. I find myself looking forward to attending many events just to have the opportunity to catch up with my WBCCI family. One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is how much an Airstream seems to be a "Fountain of Youth" - - outsiders looking in upon a WBCCI event may think many of the members are "old-timers", when the truth is that despite a little gray hair most of these WBCCI members have more verve and stamina than persons 15 or 20 years their junior.

I am fortunate as well in that I belong to a very wonderful local unit - - the Wisconsin Unit. When I joined, Wisconsin was my home . . . even after moving several hundred miles South, I have maintained my membership there as I still enjoy making as many of the Unit activities as I can. Over the years, I have attended activites hosted by a number of different Units including DENCO, Southern Illinois, Cleveland OH, and Western Kentucky. Each Unit tends to interpret the rally experience in a slightly different way, but that is part of what makes being a WBCCI member so enjoyable for me.

Kevin
Hi Kevin! As some of the newest members of the WI Unit (haven't even attended a WI rally yet), we look forward to meeting you down the road!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This appears to be culture wars all over again. Some people like a very orderly club and others don't. Some people like to talk during dinner and some like "entertainment". People disagree what is entertainment or whether there should be any. I guess some WBCCI rallies have "old fashioned" entertainment and that's what part of the rally fees are for. Another reason to avoid them to me.

A formal club is not for some; an informal club is not for some. To the former, the latter may look like chaos; to the latter, the former may look tyrannical.

I doubt culture wars ever get resolved except by attrition. The Forum is the informal group and thus the situation is solved for the Airstreamers who don't want to be part of the WBCCI. There's really no reason to start another club, because it's here. Just like in the WBCCI, information about Airstreams and places to visit are passed on here. There no 1950's music or any other here (except sometimes from UTube, and that's optional). For most Airstream owners the WBCCI is more and more something from the past and the present organizational leadership appears to want it that way or they'd do something else. So, everyone has their group, some are in both, and tune in in 2015 and see what's happened.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Violin and accordion is my second favorite instrumental duet. The first is bagpipe and picalo (sp).
Accordions, bagpipes, and mimes all have the power to turn me into a serial killer in a very short period of time.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

and I thought I was the only one who enjoyed the WBCCI "mix". Can't wait for our next rally to hear about the old dude that was deported, came back to the USA and fought in WWII. Only at a WBCCI rally will you hear a story like that.

And YES he is grouchy!!!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My Gawd I have become one!

Quote:
As I remember the real outdoorsman activities of my reckless youth with nostalgic yearning, sitting in my aluminum cocoon. I am reading about the old fogies (not my term but perhaps apt) of the WBCCI. The thought crosses my mind (not so fogie as foggy) that I have become one, and you know what? It's not too shabby and I'm enjoying myself, have recovered from my mid life crisis, and still have a rabbit or 2 left in my hat.

By the way I play autoharp and play you old folkey stuff. Any requests?

Just a cynical ex hippy now working for the establishment.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I too was at the Region 11 Rally...and had a great time! Dang...nothing gets past Fred, I guess that's what I get for parking next to him...gives him the chance to air all our dirty laundry.

Yes, we did leave the valve open with the hose attached and had to wrestle with a frozen hose - but this wouldn't have happened if we hadn't been so excited & distracted upon our late arrival to see friends and meet some new folks & trailers. When the sun went down...it froze fast and we hadn't had a chance to fill our tank! Oh well, no damage - lessons learned...just a bit of embarassment - not to mention leaving our back hatch under the bed open all night until morning! Yeah, that first night was a bit chilly...

But had we not gone to the rally, I wouldn't have gotten the chance to snap the shot of "somebody...uh, somebody from AZ who likes to drown worms" (but who's naming names) kicking up their heels line dancing with their lovely wife, either!

I agree, the "entertainment" at this particular Regional Rally was less than desirable, however they were very talented musicians - just not my style and the timing hardly made it optional. My take on it is the "entertainment" or lack there of, is directly related to the rally planners/hosts for a particular event. I know when different members step up to host future rallies, the entertainment and activities will follow their interests & tastes. To me, it's only fair to allow others to "do their thing" in order for them to allow me to "do my thing" when it's my turn. The key for rally variety is not to leave the planning to the same bunch...the more people that step up to host or co-host a rally the more varied the rallies will be. I for one, can't wait to plan a rally for next spring...I can assure you, it will definately not be a repeat of this rally and some will probably be bored with my style of "entertainment".

IMO, it's all good...and if it weren't for some boring moments during rallies, I would have not had as many opportunities to share "squawking flamingos" with Fred ~ hic...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0120[1].jpg
Views:	153
Size:	779.0 KB
ID:	89037  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Musical Chairs and Musical Bands

Quote:
A half full jug band!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Can't wait for our next rally to hear about the old dude that was deported, came back to the USA and fought in WWII.
Ed, Sounds great as long as I don't have to wear a tie to do it. I agree that you sure meet folks with some great stories... just think of the club we'd have if the "powers that be" understood the varied extent of their membership.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Positively

Hi fred
Thanks for the opportunity to say something positive about the club. I joined wbcci and the Vintage club over six years ago.

New England Region One is very active because of the efforts of seasoned club members that work very hard to plan and carry out a variety of rallies, meets and events throughout the camping season. At every rally we meet experienced and new travellers and learn something new every time.

In the last year we attended two Regional rallies, one in Vermont (09)and the last in Prince Edward Island, Canada(08). Also a rally in Acadia National Park and one just last week next to the Cape Cod National Seashore in Provencetown, MA.

Because of the club and others work to put these rallies together we have met many interesting and fun people.
Shout out to the NEU and all they have done to increase membership in the club!

I have been fortunate enough to do much travelling over the last six years and am lucky enough to have met met MANY of the wbcci, Vintage club, VAP, Airstream Life, VTS and even the forum usual suspects.

It's been fun.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post

As for ukuleles, I'll simply note I have many fine ukin' friends in the California El Camino Real Unit who make the Arthur Godfrey Play-Along-Club look like a bunch of pikers. I greatly enjoy their enthusiasm and strum-urn-dang! But they respectfully wait until after everybody has finished dinner, dessert, a cigar and brandy before breaking out their mighty ukes and into song.

Thank you for the kind words Fred.

We do have a good time with our ukes. Just remember what I always remind those listening......

The more you drink, the better we sound.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote