Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I can only report out experiences, but we've been WBCCI members for a little over three years, and really enjoy our unit rallys. I've been to a couple of region rallys, and they are also fun, but because they are a week long, a little tiring. We've not been to an International Rally, but plan to go this year to see what it's all about. We have made lots of really good friends of all ages, and wouldn't trade anything for the experiences we have had.

To us, it's all about the unit, and I suggest to anyone to find a unit close to where you live and give it a try.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
We are Vintage folks and look forward to participating for the first time this year in the Vinatge Rocky Mt. Rally. Our biggest challenge is not really having a home base as we live in Mexico. We don't always know where we will be to sign up in advance.

hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Airforums here is always a good place to check in to find out about rallies as is the WBCCI/VAC publications like the Blue Beret & Vintage Advantage. Also, just google "vintage trailer rally" and lots of options will come up. The Rocky Mountain Rally has an entire website with info maintained year round...however, if you haven't already signed up - it's too late for this year. Sorry ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Airforums here is always a good place to check in to find out about rallies as is the WBCCI/VAC publications like the Blue Beret & Vintage Advantage. Also, just google "vintage trailer rally" and lots of options will come up. The Rocky Mountain Rally has an entire website with info maintained year round...however, if you haven't already signed up - it's too late for this year. Sorry ~

Shari
Sad, that we missed it. Any chance we could waitlist or perhaps camp in the park just to meet folks?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Holly, you are very welcome to visit and meet everybody during the Public Open House on Saturday afternoon from 1-4pm. But this rally is not at a campground or RV Park, so you can't just camp in the same area, you would have to find a place to stay off-site and we are not able to accommodate visitors for the other events.

You could also drop a line to the registrar (link on website) to see if any spots have opened up or if there is a waiting list for last minute cancelations - but unfortunately, the numbers are set and our counts have been turned in so they can't be changed at this late date and we can't add more.

Sorry ~ if it doesn't work out this year, keep an eye on the website - the RMVAC rallies are normally announced right after the first of the year and there usually isn't a cut-off for number of trailers if you sign-up prior to the deadline.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Holly, you are very welcome to visit and meet everybody during the Public Open House on Saturday afternoon from 1-4pm. But this rally is not at a campground or RV Park, so you can't just camp in the same area, you would have to find a place to stay off-site and we are not able to accommodate visitors for the other events.

You could also drop a line to the registrar (link on website) to see if any spots have opened up or if there is a waiting list for last minute cancelations - but unfortunately, the numbers are set and our counts have been turned in so they can't be changed at this late date and we can't add more.

Sorry ~ if it doesn't work out this year, keep an eye on the website - the RMVAC rallies are normally announced right after the first of the year and there usually isn't a cut-off for number of trailers if you sign-up prior to the deadline.

Shari
Thanks for the info. We just happen to be driving across this year, likely a one time deal. When traveling like this we don't really know where we will be on any given day so we have to be super flexible. I saw the rally was over a week I think and hoped we might make part of it. I'll inquire as you suggest.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #77
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not really an expensive club. I joined and went to my first rally last year and what a great experience. Good opportunity to meet folks and talk about how to fix this and that and see what others have done to their trailers and to get first hand recommendations about various RV parks around the country. Can't say that I even noticed an age thing.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #78
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
It's good to see this thread come back around

The WBCCI is the oldest and largest single brand RV club anywhere, and in the Airstream world the 75 or so bucks to be a member is not gonna make or break anyone.

The folks that founded the club back in the 50's were light years ahead of everyone else. They founded it to celebrate the trailer and the freedom it provided to gather together and travel the globe, WITH THEIR FRIENDS.

Still holds true today.

Before the days of the ''forum rally'', club sponsored events were the only game in town. They laid the ground work for what we have today. Club politics have evolved now to the point it might be disappointing to the early founders, much like Washington today might be disappointing to our nations founding fathers. Some of it necessary evil as times change, some of it just evil.

If you follow much of national politics, it will quickly bring you down. So, you live your life, best you can, enjoying the simple life WITH YOUR FRIENDS.

If you follow much of WBCCI politics, it can also bring you down. So again, you live the simple life, outside of politics, and ENJOY YOUR FRIENDS.

Even if the joining cost was 0, some folks are just not joiners. They tend to be the naysayers. But that is what makes our country great.....you get to make the choice.

It really is a great club, with a grand history, and worthy of at least a try.

John Leake
WBCCI 3892
Region 3, 2ndVP
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I can't help but agree with the majority here that you might want to try a WBCCI Unit before you nix the idea. We didn't think we were right for the club when we got our AS, but we were invited to a rally by the 4CU ... we went ...had a great time ... we were welcomed with open arms.... and found a great mix of ages, people and interests.... and at the end of that rally we joined up. The rest is history. Now I am the membership chair, so I guess that says something! I have found that very few folks who give our unit a try walk away from it...there's just something about sharing with fellow fun Airstreamers, all with a shared enthusiasm and sense of community, no matter who we are... You need to decide for yourself. We'd love to have you check the 4CU out and experience it for yourself! The DenCO Unit is another great bunch of campers, many of whom are Affiliate members of the 4CU...
Well said.
We where charter members of the 4CU, left for 3 years when I went back to work but we are back now.For us the 4CU is the BEST.Very one is always welcome to visit this unit to see if they like it.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
I just joined, plan on making my own evaluation over the next year. Then we will decide whether to re-up next year.

I will then have my own ideas, and will share with anyone that wishes to share a campfire with me.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
I just joined, plan on making my own evaluation over the next year. Then we will decide whether to re-up next year.

I will then have my own ideas, and will share with anyone that wishes to share a campfire with me.
We're going to be thrilled to have you as members, David. Bruce told us at dinner Saturday you were joining, and I'm confident you will enjoy the TAU.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
One of the good things about being a member. As you travel across the country you can find courtesy parking and meet local folks. In addition you can tap the club website and find local events happening while you are in the area. Also you can contact local people for advice on things to see and do. It is the people and the caravan and the rally that makes the club great.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #83
Chip and Jeff

1991 25' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
As a member of the Georgia Unit, we are not spring chickens (in our 40s), but as a same sex couple we have been very well received by the other members over the past year. It seems that when you have a similar interest and are passionate about it the differences seem to fade away. My fear is that WBCCI will not survive in the future if the younger set does not join and find a place in the organization. I agree with others that maybe adding some rallies that are during weekends instead of all-weekers will help to attract members that are not retired.

We all have a common interest...obsession...addiction to all things AS. One of the elements that makes us different from the White Boxes is the WBCCI and our history. Hopefully whoever said not to join to the original poster in Jackson Center can be persuaded to have a change of heart...
ctcbcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Each WBCCI local has developed over the years their own traditions and personality, but they do change from year to year based on the priorities and personality of the president that year. You can either find a local that fits your personal preferences or become a volunteer officer to change and hopefully improve the local experience. The national events reflect the long term goals and priorities of the majority of the past members. Caravaning requires your ability take some time off to enjoy them. Longer treks and working full time, at a fixed location, do not mix well.