Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #61
_

. , .
i find it difficult to make even honest remarks related to the wb' when someone so personally connected to the club and its history is involved....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
...It is probably time for the WBCCI members and Airstream owners to know more of what is actually going on....it is difficult for the right hand to know what the left hand is doing...Pee Wee
Quote:
Regardless of whether the trip is sponsored or indorsed by the WBCCI, or Airstream any calamaty will be the burdern indured the those organizations. ...All of this is at risk if anything goes wrong on the trip. The individual members names won't be the headlines...Airstream and Wally Byam will be the headlines....Pee Wee
but here goes....

the wb' voted NOT to be involved with the c2c caravan...

the responsiblity to let them know 'more of what is actually going on' ends there....

they COULD have taken other actions, NONE of which would have placed the club at financial risk....

they could have voted to investigate more, encourage, explore, consider, support, applaud...

or some other wording that did NOT close the door to their association...

the trip is still 2 years off, and any positive statement could have kept them involved and connected..

the wb doesn't have a 'hand' in this enterprize, at least not now.

one could make a case for thor stockholders having some right to more information IF a/s sales or growth is at risk...

but the sad truth in this world is that an "event" might boost sales, not hurt the company.

the club and it's long history is largely irrelevant to all/most new airstreamers...

it is almost as if the wb vote not to endorse was meant to suggest...

'no one with an airstream can travel abroad'

we won't be sporting wb numbers, or berets or flags or anything else related to the wbcci....

some of us won't even be members of the wb' in 2009...

except for the historical connection, none of us are living in 1959.

travelers on this trip will be dealing with heat, dirt, delays, critters, mechanical issues, meals, water and so on...

while some media products may connect the old trip with the new...

in the films, blogs or streamin' video that follows,

capetown2cairo caravanners will be living in the moment...

cheers
2air'

besides, when a plane crashes now, does ANYONE blame orville or wilbur?

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #62
Certifiable

. , .
Well said 2air.
FWIW, I'm sure there were a lot of naysayers back in the 50s as well.
I only wish I could afford to join you on this unique adventure through Africa.
Someday I will go...

Other than a shot of karma every once in awhile, is there some way an envious forum member can support this undertaking?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #63
_

. , .
i'm feeling extra 'tidy' today m'blue...

so i'll reply over here....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/423247-post113.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #64
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
There are several reasons which jump out in my mind as to why the WBCCI wouldn't support the CCC. Some have already been posted. Here are my thoughts on the matter and why I wouldn't participate in this journey:

1) The logistics/costs involved with such a trip in today's economy are going to be astronomical. If the trip is going to cost $100/day, and let's say that it is just per trailer and not per person, do the math; how long did the original trip actually take? Let me refresh your memory: 220 days....That's $22,000 for the math impaired. Take into account the cost of the trailer, cost of shipping, cost of tow vehicle, cost of plane ticket and constant cost of repairs on the road. How many folks have that much cash to throw away? I know I don't.

2) When I was in Special Forces, I was in several countries that are on the CCC route. I can tell you from experience that many of the roads are no better than they were in 1959. Has anyone actually bothered to watch the DVD of the original trip? Vehicles got stuck quite often and will again. That, to me, is not adventure but a giant pain in the you know what.

3) Last time I checked, Sudan and Ethiopia block the path to Egypt. Anyone read the papers? The countries along this trip aren't controlled by Europe anymore, ie. 1959 laws no longer apply, only chaos and war. Oh yeah, don't forget about dysentery, dengue fever and malaria just to name a few diseases. Are you up to date on your shots?

4) Has anyone taken into account the bribe money needed for safe passage through these areas? Better yet, does anyone trust the locals to actually lead you through to safety? As an intelligence analyst, I sure as heck wouldn't.

4) 1975-1980 Airstreams.....hmmmmm.....can you say rear end separation????? Potholed roads are a recipe for constant repair. I hope they bring along someone who can weld and plenty of spare metal.

IMO, WBCCI sees no potential gain from this trip. If anything, there is almost certain loss. How would their PR department deal with losing one or more WBCCI members to tribal warfare and/or terrorists?

Human life, to me, is too valuable....My best friend died in my arms at the hands of an Albanian Anti-Tank mine in Kosovo; that's not something I care to re-live ever again.

If you want to waste your money and risk your life on this trip, be my guest; The Darwin Awards will have something to write about. I'm staying in the comfort of my tin can in Texas. If I want to go on the Capetown to Cairo trip, I'll pop in the DVD from my Limited Edition Wanderlust.

Sorry for the rant, sarcasm and cynicism, but I'd hate to see anyone die for the sake of nostalgia.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
There are several reasons which jump out in my mind as to why the WBCCI wouldn't support the CCC. Some have already been posted. Here are my thoughts on the matter and why I wouldn't participate in this journey:

1) The logistics/costs involved with such a trip in today's economy are going to be astronomical. If the trip is going to cost $100/day, and let's say that it is just per trailer and not per person, do the math; how long did the original trip actually take? Let me refresh your memory: 220 days....That's $22,000 for the math impaired. Take into account the cost of the trailer, cost of shipping, cost of tow vehicle, cost of plane ticket and constant cost of repairs on the road. How many folks have that much cash to throw away? I know I don't.

2) When I was in Special Forces, I was in several countries that are on the CCC route. I can tell you from experience that many of the roads are no better than they were in 1959. Has anyone actually bothered to watch the DVD of the original trip? Vehicles got stuck quite often and will again. That, to me, is not adventure but a giant pain in the you know what.

3) Last time I checked, Sudan and Ethiopia block the path to Egypt. Anyone read the papers? The countries along this trip aren't controlled by Europe anymore, ie. 1959 laws no longer apply, only chaos and war. Oh yeah, don't forget about dysentery, dengue fever and malaria just to name a few diseases. Are you up to date on your shots?

4) Has anyone taken into account the bribe money needed for safe passage through these areas? Better yet, does anyone trust the locals to actually lead you through to safety? As an intelligence analyst, I sure as heck wouldn't.

4) 1975-1980 Airstreams.....hmmmmm.....can you say rear end separation????? Potholed roads are a recipe for constant repair. I hope they bring along someone who can weld and plenty of spare metal.

IMO, WBCCI sees no potential gain from this trip. If anything, there is almost certain loss. How would their PR department deal with losing one or more WBCCI members to tribal warfare and/or terrorists?

Human life, to me, is too valuable....My best friend died in my arms at the hands of an Albanian Anti-Tank mine in Kosovo; that's not something I care to re-live ever again.

If you want to waste your money and risk your life on this trip, be my guest; The Darwin Awards will have something to write about. I'm staying in the comfort of my tin can in Texas. If I want to go on the Capetown to Cairo trip, I'll pop in the DVD from my Limited Edition Wanderlust.

Sorry for the rant, sarcasm and cynicism, but I'd hate to see anyone die for the sake of nostalgia.

Frederic
Frederic,

You have detailed what I wrote a few weeks ago. No life is worth sacrificing for the bragging rights of duplicating the 1959 Caravan to Africa. In fact the 1959 Caravan can not be duplicated since several of the nations are no longer open for travel due to politics, etc.

I have attached two African Caravan photos. Northern Sudan and Southern Ethiopia.
Attached Images

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #66
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Frederic,

You have detailed what I wrote a few weeks ago. No life is worth sacrificing for the bragging rights of duplicating the 1959 Caravan to Africa. In fact the 1959 Caravan can not be duplicated since several of the nations are no longer open for travel due to politics, etc.

I have attached two African Caravan photos. Northern Sudan and Southern Ethiopia.
Pee Wee, my apologies, I thought I had read all the posts, but I must have missed yours....my intention was not repetition of someone else's post, but it seems to me that this is one giant elephant in the room, and it's being ignored. My guess is that the trip will not come to fruition, kinda like the rebuilding of the Titanic......lotsa talk, no action.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Pee Wee, my apologies, I thought I had read all the posts, but I must have missed yours....my intention was not repetition of someone else's post, but it seems to me that this is one giant elephant in the room, and it's being ignored. My guess is that the trip will not come to fruition, kinda like the rebuilding of the Titanic......lotsa talk, no action.

Frederic
Frederic,

I think it is great that independently you and I have the same thoughts about the proposed 2009 African Caravan. And for similar reasons.

Best.

DAle "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 A (1).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	43861  
Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Dale,

Considering your ties to Airstream, and your personal experience in the Heart of Darkness, I would think that people would listen to you. I would love to bend your ear with some thoughts.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 08-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
What a great thread. I have to say I admire those who would take on this challenge. They are not going forward uniformed and are aware of what may lay ahead. The cost is known and hazards are documented. Everyone has to do what gives them a thrill. I sail and I know people who will not set foot on a boat, to this day I get a thrill just looking at the smallest boat and what to be on her and underway. Some think I am crazy, but it is what makes life worth living.

Those who are undertaking this adventure should be asked to read this thread to see all sides of the risks involved. So much knowledge and so many opinions are presented that they would come away with a complete understanding of the situation to assist in making an informed decision.

Keep it going this is a geat thread to keep up with.

PeeWee thanks for your input and the great pictures
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Current Headlines from Africa

I thought that these headlines might be of interest to those going to Africa in 2009. You might of missed them. Most of them are from today's news, some are earlier this year.

Congo warlord continues to recruit children
A warlord in eastern Congo is continuing to recruit child soldiers in violation of international law, United Nations officials said.

Severe floods hit 17 countries in Africa
Fish swam alongside the dugout canoes residents were using to flee their flooded homes, riding the water gushing through the streets of this town in eastern Uganda.

Zimbabwean inflation under 7,000%

Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate slowed in August to 6,592.8% from July's record of 7,634.8%, according to the Central Statistical Office

KINSHASA, Congo — More than 100 people have died in a suspected hemorrhagic fever outbreak in a remote part of Congo, local health officials said Wednesday.
People began dying of the suspected fever two weeks ago in the Mweka area of the province of Kasai Occidental, said Jean-Constatin Kanow, the chief medical inspector for the province.
Congo has in the past seen large outbreaks of Marburg and Ebola, both hemorrhagic fevers caused by viruses that in severe cases attack the central nervous system and cause bleeding from the eyes, ears and other parts of the body.
Ethiopia/Eritrea: Rebel Group Threatens to Kidnap More Tourists

A rebel group pressing for autonomy in the Afar region that straddles Ethiopia, Eritrea and Djibouti warned that it would kidnap any foreigners who venture into the region without prior approval. A spokesman for the Afar Revolutionary Democratic Union Front claimed responsibility for kidnapping five Europeans and eight Ethiopians early in March and vowed to [read more]
Kenya: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak, Carjackings in Nairobi

An outbreak of Rift Valley Fever that began in mid-December has spread to about half the country, appearing in coastal tourist areas for the first time recently. Nairobi has been put on alert as a high-risk area. At least 120 people have died. The disease is spread by mosquitoes and is often deadly for livestock.
Zimbabwe economy in free fall

Inflation tops 7,600 percent as the country's economic crisis forces people to flee the country or scrounge for food.

Kenya says Rift Valley fever returns, two dead

Thu 20 Sep 2007, 13:44 GMT

NAIROBI, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Rift Valley fever has killed two women in Kenya, the government said on Thursday, raising fears of another outbreak of the disease that claimed more than 150 lives earlier this year.
Qaeda urges attacks on Darfur force, talks questioned

Thu 20 Sep 2007, 14:43 GMT
KHARTOUM, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Al Qaeda urged Sudanese Muslims on Thursday to fight African Union and United Nations peacekeeping troops in Darfur as rebels cast doubt on whether peace talks to pave the way for the force could succeed.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
PeeWee,

I wanted to quote your post above but it would have been too long so I will say this is in response OR addition to what you have to say.

Yes, those are bad things to happen to any region and others will chime in about simular events here in the US and areas in the US they would not go. The big difference is - here you are a US citizen and when bad things happen you have rights and privileges that can protect you. In Africa you will always be the "outsider" and when sick, hurt, stuck or in legal trouble then THAT'S when the differences will appear.

Quote:
<snip>You might of missed them.<snip>
I doubt the participants miss anything but ignore might be a better word.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote