Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Blue Berets NEW LOOK for American Olympians

American Olympians are sporting berets and look a lot like Wally Byam berets! Did Ralph Lauren copy Wally!!?

Classic tailoring and traditional red, white and blue have come together in Ralph Lauren’s collection for Team USA, which was unveiled exclusively on TODAY Tuesday.

Mitts, the first to model the look, is a two-time gold medalist, winning both in Beijing in 2008 and Athens in 2004. She wore a white blouse and navy blazer, pairing the ensemble with a knee-length cream skirt and a scarf with red, white and navy stripes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ralphlauren-olympics.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	162855  
Attached Images

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You know what they say...if you wait long enough, everything comes back in style!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The models look dorky. They should have stayed with the cowboy hats, much more USA in my opinion. Leave the berets to the French.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The models look dorky.
OK, this time without the models...perhaps it is the models that deter attention from the style. Yankee Doodle Dandies however do come in all shapes sizes and ages. Cowboy hats you say? Well then, Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies. The search goes on for the "look."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	style.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	162862  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
On the news this morning it was said that the uniforms were French designed and being made in China. They can't even find a company in the US to make clothing for our American Olympians. Sort of sad in my opinion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
100% agreement with AWCHIEF
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Leave the berets to the French.
And the US Army...

Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thread shift from what I thought bore a striking similarity to WBCCI uniforms and berets has taken a turn towards the outcry of our USA team uniforms being made in China and the comment that those uniforms "should be burned," as spoken by senate majority leader Reid.

Still noteworthy however is that Airstreams are made in America! Perhaps new hats and shirts could typlify the new American Airstream camper rather than resembling the military. I am not certain of the current impact of the International and diplomatic overtures of the club ventures having pertinence or success in spreading goodwill among peoples and lands as pursued 50 years ago Airstream by Airstream, over the influence and interaction and presence of today's internet to close the gaps between countries. This social club may have gotten a bit big in its britches and convinced itself of its own importance, viability and philanthropy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	olympicdud.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	162992  
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No problem, it is your thread so you can high jack it if you wish.
Personally I think the "uniforms" stink and at over $600 per outfit someone at the US Olympic Committee should be held accountable for this outrage.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I agree that I like to see products made in the USA and I like employing as many Americans as we can, perhaps at the exclusion of earning less profits but certainly creating security for more people like our own neighbors first and foremost before outsourcing or relying heavily on trade. I am thinking Ralph does other business where ever he contracted for these items. How 'bout those Ralph Lauren Airstreams!!! Still on topic mods! Yessirie.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Made in China and Polo insignias??????? Yes , let Ralph Lauren design them, make them here, and leave the Polo emblems off. No commercials please. Advertise our country only. "U. S..A." [I used silver because white doesn't show well on white]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
How many of us complain about Chinese products then go buy at Walmart and such? There are American-made products available and would be a heck of a lot more if we rejected this stuff. Look at the label, if it's not "Made in U.S.A.", toss it back.

Complaining about these uniforms is a fool's message if we don't take responsibility for our own buying habits. Forget politics, only we can fix our economy and have the power to do it with a shopping cart.

Start today.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The US Olympic committee has caved in to all the negative press. They say it is too late to buy US for this Olympics but for the next and in the future the uniforms will be made in the USA. Amazing how you sometimes have to embarrass someone to get them to do the right thing.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
How many of us complain about Chinese products then go buy at Walmart and such? There are American-made products available and would be a heck of a lot more if we rejected this stuff. Look at the label, if it's not "Made in U.S.A.", toss it back.

Complaining about these uniforms is a fool's message if we don't take responsibility for our own buying habits. Forget politics, only we can fix our economy and have the power to do it with a shopping cart.

Start today.
Well said. It's easy to sit and say buy American, but it's actually rather hard to buy USA for a LOT of goods. Such as the computer we're all using (whether it's a phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop)...the components mostly (if not all) come from China.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Start today.

doug k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Well said. It's easy to sit and say buy American, but it's actually rather hard to buy USA for a LOT of goods. Such as the computer we're all using (whether it's a phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop)...the components mostly (if not all) come from China.
Hi, of course Wal-Mart is filled with items from China, but so are the so called upper scale stores like Nordstrom's too. Would you like to buy an $800.00 blouse from Nordstrom's that is also made in China? I bought some egg pans from Macy's, but had to return them due to a design defect; Macy's made labels to cover up the made in China printed on the box. [I peeled one off] Wal-Mart has become an easy target for things made in China, but every store sells items made in China. [or parts within]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
just curious....where are the WBCCI berets made??????

hmmmm ...
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, of course Wal-Mart is filled with items from China, but so are the so called upper scale stores like Nordstrom's too. Would you like to buy an $800.00 blouse from Nordstrom's that is also made in China? I bought some egg pans from Macy's, but had to return them due to a design defect; Macy's made labels to cover up the made in China printed on the box. [I peeled one off] Wal-Mart has become an easy target for things made in China, but every store sells items made in China. [or parts within]
Yeah. I didn't mean to pick on Wal-Mart specifically. How many clothing manufacturers do we even have here in the US any more?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's some. Use them.

Made in America: The short list - CNN.com

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I agree that I like to see products made in the USA and I like employing as many Americans as we can, perhaps at the exclusion of earning less profits but certainly creating security for more people like our own neighbors first and foremost before outsourcing or relying heavily on trade. I am thinking Ralph does other business where ever he contracted for these items. How 'bout those Ralph Lauren Airstreams!!! Still on topic mods! Yessirie.
Of course, my All-American Airstream Interstate was built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis that was made in Dusseldorf, Germany according to the VIN.

And just to add fuel to the fire, the Fiamma F65 awning and Project 2000 retractable step on my Interstate were made in Italy. The Nova Kool refrigerator is Canadian, eh. The SMEV propane stove is British. The Kenwood/Garmin head unit in the dashboard is made by Kenwood Corporation of Japan, though sold by Kenwood USA.

And, just to cap it all off, the Ultraleather upholstery is made in China at the Changyi Yuhua Textile Materials Company.

I love my German/Italian/Canadian/British/Japanese/Chinese/American Airstream Interstate. I'm just glad that it doesn't include any appliances made by Dometic, or I'd have to add Swedish to the list of nationalities. That would be really confusing.

I don't much care for Ralph Lauren apparel, but I don't see any reason to put him down for not always using American-made, when even an American icon like Airstream doesn't always buy American-made components, either.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I see no reason to criticize Ralph Lauren. I didn't even know the designed uniforms weren't being made in America when I started the thread before the press seized upon the story. We have lots of made in America thread twists. That wasn't my point. I just thought the similarities between his new design for the Olympics and the design of the WBCCI uniforms was strikingly the same. Right down to the emblem on the beret, it looks alot like what the WBCCI wears.

Name:   america_comes.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  8.9 KB

Name:   america2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:   americanimages.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  7.2 KB

I love what he did with the Airstreams. I wonder if he is an Airstream fan.

Classic Driver - MAGAZINE - Classic Life

Name:	iAmerican3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	163507

Name:   american4.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:	american5.jpg
Views:	188