Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Sugarfoot, Airstreams draw people faster than a discount on beer. It's kinda cool to watch them approach with that Oooo thats cooool look in their eyes. The downside is you have to keep it tidy inside cause your gonna get guests.

Did someone say discount on beer? You know it has to be a Canadian brand

Sugarfoot,regarding your first trip in the TW.Isn't it a great feeling to look into your tow mirrors and see YOUR OWN Airstream back there.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Did someone say discount on beer? You know it has to be a Canadian brand

Sugarfoot,regarding your first trip in the TW.Isn't it a great feeling to look into your tow mirrors and see YOUR OWN Airstream back there.
Intemidating at first! I mean, I tow with a truck and the first time I looked in the windshield rear view mirror, I mean it was right on my back bumper...literally and figuratively!!! I mean it was surprising to see something that big that close for the first time. Now it is comforting that it is still back there! And with my luck so far, that is saying something.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Intemidating at first! I mean, I tow with a truck and the first time I looked in the windshield rear view mirror, I mean it was right on my back bumper...literally and figuratively!!! I mean it was surprising to see something that big that close for the first time. Now it is comforting that it is still back there! And with my luck so far, that is saying something.
You should have seen me during first tow bringing it 150 miles from east of Atlanta. A good brave friend with lots of towing experience agreed to go with me. He kept reminding me, "Dacia you've GOT to STOP looking in the mirrors all the time! You're going to miss something serious in FRONT of you! It's STILL back there!" Yes, intimidating is a good word. But it is a really good feeling. I had to tow after dark to go home and it warmed my heart to see those yellow and red clearance markers shining brightly in my tow mirrors!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh, I ran the gamut on my first tow from the dealer. We got ran off the road by some yahoo that pulled onto the four lane highway from the opposite side and proceeded to cross all four lanes without looking to get to the convenience store on the other side. Glad Tennessee has wide shoulders in those mountains. Hit a torrential down pour in Chattanooga and had to pull off the road it was raining so hard. Got stuck in the rain in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the aftermath of the storm behind a serious wreck. Missed our turn-off and had to find a place to turn a 20' long crew cab pulling a 30' Airstream around in the city. Hit a guard rail two days later coming out of the campground. Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, had a great time!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I'll never forget my first experience either.I was a total greenhorn,never having towed before or know much about it either.
I bought the Safari privately.It was around 50 miles from where I was living at the time.It was a 23 foot model and I had a 3/4 ton Suburban to bring it home.
All was fine at slow speed and I proceeded to enter the freeway.When I got up to 50 miles an hour the wheel started to pull hard.Looked into my passenger mirror and saw my Safari at about a 45 degree angle and a couple of seconds later saw it in my drivers side mirror and so on .It looked like it was attempting to pass me. Each swing lifted my tow vehicles corresponding wheels clear of the pavement.After the longest 30 seconds of my life,I think my white knuckles had to be pried off the steering wheel.
Maybe it would have been a good idea to have some sort of anti-sway bars installed before departure .Like I said,we were green.We limped to the nearest shop to install some bars feeling thankful that no one was hurt .

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
OMGoodness Mike! I had a little problem with my trailer meandering at first but nothing like that. If I had I would have taken it back!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
There is such great fun in being a part of the Airstream Community and WBCCI offers a super network of owners.

In short, getting involved in WBCCI offers the opportunity to be a part of a great group with a significant history. It offers us human resources as we learn to tow and figure out the ins and outs of our Airstream and learn about travel destinations.

It also offers a chance to be involved in an intergenerational community. Young, old and in between can benefit from the relationships. I was about 33 when I joined WBCCI about 18 years ago and find as time goes by, that more and more "younger" members or pre-retirees (as young as in their 20's) are getting involved. More "younger" members were at the International Rally this year than I have ever seen.

The main differences I'm seeing are differences in needs based on differences in generational experiences - but that is not unique to WBCCI. With a little understanding and communication, it can be bridged to form enriching relationships instead of being a barrier.

The comments on this thread reflect the positive because the positive exists. In this day and age where life is often so scattered, WBCCI offers a great opportunity for a sense of shared community.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
WBCCI #27910

WBCCI is built on member volunteers. Join in the fun as a member and you can also help to make WBCCI a vibrant place to be.
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Mike and Minnie's Mate, you both had a MUCH more hair-raising experience on your first tow than I did. I'm glad it turned out OK in the end for you both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
There is such great fun in being a part of the Airstream Community and WBCCI offers a super network of owners.

In short, getting involved in WBCCI offers the opportunity to be a part of a great group with a significant history. It offers us human resources as we learn to tow and figure out the ins and outs of our Airstream and learn about travel destinations.

It also offers a chance to be involved in an intergenerational community. Young, old and in between can benefit from the relationships. I was about 33 when I joined WBCCI about 18 years ago and find as time goes by, that more and more "younger" members or pre-retirees (as young as in their 20's) are getting involved. More "younger" members were at the International Rally this year than I have ever seen.

The main differences I'm seeing are differences in needs based on differences in generational experiences - but that is not unique to WBCCI. With a little understanding and communication, it can be bridged to form enriching relationships instead of being a barrier.

The comments on this thread reflect the positive because the positive exists. In this day and age where life is often so scattered, WBCCI offers a great opportunity for a sense of shared community.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
WBCCI #27910

WBCCI is built on member volunteers. Join in the fun as a member and you can also help to make WBCCI a vibrant place to be.
Renee, thanks for your informative post. I see you are part of Region 3 near my area. It's good to hear there is diversity within the WBCCI and there are those willing to overcome adversity. You're right, differences exist in any organization or situation having the human element. Differences can also enhance one's overall experience. Your comments add to the positive note of this thread.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
OMGoodness Mike! I had a little problem with my trailer meandering at first but nothing like that. If I had I would have taken it back!
I must admit that at the time I didn't know any better. I had been looking for close to 2 years for a 23'-25' in good condition at the right price.That size was very rare in Alberta at that time.There were lots of 31'ers.
Just chalk one up to experience.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Old photos or stories?

Just a friendly reminder that if anyone would like to contribute new/old photos or stories that are WBCCI related they would be much appreciated on our units website.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 12-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Good times

I recently ran across this picture of the Arizona Unit and thought I'd share it. To me it is what WBCCI is all about both past and present.

Miscellaneous Harrison Airstream memorabilia
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote