Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Smile Voltage Regulator

I just had a friend suggest I invest in a voltage regulator to use when I plug into the grid. I find no mention in my owners manual that the 2003 International CCD has one already installed somewhere inside of it. A voltage regulator makes sense, does anyone have an idea on this? Thanks.
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You already have one... It's in the firm of your converter.
It takes 110 mains voltage and converts it to 14 or so regulated volts for charging your battery bank and bowering your 12 volt buss.
You need nothing more!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
I just had a friend suggest I invest in a voltage regulator to use when I plug into the grid.
Do you mean a surge protector?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I 2nd the surge protector.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I now believe my friend meant to say was a surge protector. It only make sense to get one. I don't have one, any suggestions as far as brands? Thanks J
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/R1yyYY9tV0M

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
In addition to a surge protector, it's also possible to use a voltage regulator. A voltage regulator is relatively optional, primarily protecting your heat pump / air conditioner from low voltage situations that might otherwise cause your surge guard to shut off power to the trailer.

Before our dog Skipper left us earlier this month for the Rainbow Bridge, it was super important to know that the AC would keep running if he stayed in the trailer on a warm day while we went out and about. The voltage regulator helps ensure safe power to the trailer with longer periods of enough voltage to keep the AC running without damage, even if there's a sag in the incoming voltage due to other users at the campground. (If you don't have pets in your trailer, this may be less of a concern.)

So, we have a TRC voltage regulator and have used it any time we're likely to be running our heat pump / air conditioning. Here's a link so you can see what one looks like: http://amzn.to/1TzsMVz

Here's how we include it in our circuit:

Post => 30 amp cord => TRC Voltage Regulator => TRC Surge Guard => 30 amp cord => Trailer

We wire it this way so the regulator can protect the surge guard from low voltages, which would otherwise cause the surge guard to shut off power to the trailer. Then the surge guard protects the trailer from any other problems that may come up.

You can of course also do this if your trailer uses 50 amp power.

Regardless, we heartily recommend a surge protector such as the TRC any time you're connected to shore power - either hard-wired into your trailer or as an external unit. Perhaps I should also mention that we always test the circuit at the post with a basic checker before connecting anything to it.

Happy camping!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote