Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Here's my solution for our '04 22' CCD fridge fan noise (quite loud!):

SilenX 120mm 11 dBA Fan $26.00
Part number: 0000375

11dBA is virtually silent.

I ordered it from EastLuna.com. According to my measurements, it should be a direct fit as a replacement for the factory original.

Best regards,

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
The SilenX replacement I just received and installed was a perfect match for the factory fan (i.e. holes lined up). I have not fired mine up yet but am hopeful that it will be "liveable" as-is with only one SilenX installed...

It was an E-Z install.

X
UPDATE*****

The SilenX was STILL too noisy for my liking so I went down to Radio Shack and bought a 100 Ohm 10 Watt resistor (part #271-135 - around a dollar) and spliced into the fan's red power line. Dropped the fan speed to about half and, I believe, is a perfect solution.

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Not sure what is it (100 Ohm 10 Watt resistor, part #271-135 - around a dollar) or how to intsall it (spliced into the fan's red power line), but will find out.

Thanks for the update......

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

If you can tie your shoe, you can install this resistor.

Simple.

X
Old 05-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

We had the same problem with our 03 22’AS International, we could not sit outside and enjoy the peace and quiet or sleep at night. After reading several threads about the problem, I asked our IT guy at work about quiet fans, he handed me an old set of fans from a server and said try this. I set up a test running both off a battery on the workbench – what a difference! You can barely hear the fan run – The located of the fan is covered by the door when its locked open, so I mounted the duel fans so that one fan is always free from obstruction of the door. I used the housing that came with the fan, it made for real clean installation.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Installed the SilenX with Radio Shack resistor tonight. Quite easy for a non-electrician. Of course, these posts helped!

Quiet, quiet, quiet!!!!!! NICE!!

Dumb question. Is the fan suppose to draw air AWAY from the fins or blow in ON TO the fins? I paid no attention to the old fan. It is suppose to draw air away from the fins, isn't it?

Thanks!

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 05-12-2004, 08:10 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

I have a 2004 CCD and I don't have these problems. Did you try working with your dealer?
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Bet your fan is turned off

A/S installs a power switch accessable from the upper refrig outside (mine is about an inch below the lower lip on the right hand side of the opening. If you have not heard your factory fan, then you need to see if it is even turned on. This issue is not a defect, but rather just the noise that a 12V 4" fan makes. The noise carries into the interior readily due to the way that A/S mounted it, but the fan A/S chose was not one of the quieter designs to begin with.

BTW, I have my dual fan mounting bracket finished and some pics taken. I have not yet installed as the A/S is 15 miles away at its enclosed storage. I also added a switch that allows me to run the fans at half speed (ie in series) or at full speed (in parallel) should the need ever arise. The 2 fans in series are unbelievably quiet and move a large volume of air. I will post pics in the next day or so

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:57 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
A/S does not install a switch for the fan anymore. My 2004 Bambi has a termostat instead.

Can anybody answer my dumb question? The fan draws air away from the fins, right?

Thanks.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Paul,

The fan blows to the outside - away from the fins.

Good job on the install.

X
Old 05-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks, X for the advice and the instructions. This thing is great.

I'll sleep well this weekend. Going to Cape May.

Have a good one.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 06-20-2004, 12:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Jay and Paul,

I've noticed that my Silenex fan fails to come on occasionally. I installed it with the Radio Shack 100 ohm 10 Watt resistor, just like you guys did. I know it's not running when I hear a subtle high pitched sound. At first, I thought it was the noise the fan made while running, however, I later discovered that it is trying and failing to start. When I go out and "finger" start it, the noise goes away and it is totally quiet. However, if it doesn't have the amperage to start then I guess I'll have to remove the resistor.

Are you guys experiencing the same "starting" problems with your Silenex fan/resister combo? Is there a smaller resistor that will offer the quietness, but not reduce the amperage so much that the fan fails to start?

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Jay and Paul,

I've noticed that my Silenex fan fails to come on occasionally. I installed it with the Radio Shack 100 ohm 10 Watt resistor, just like you guys did. I know it's not running when I hear a subtle high pitched sound. At first, I thought it was the noise the fan made while running, however, I later discovered that it is trying and failing to start. When I go out and "finger" start it, the noise goes away and it is totally quiet. However, if it doesn't have the amperage to start then I guess I'll have to remove the resistor.

Are you guys experiencing the same "starting" problems with your Silenex fan/resister combo? Is there a smaller resistor that will offer the quietness, but not reduce the amperage so much that the fan fails to start?

Bob
Bob,

My setup like yours is working flawlessly and has been running on and off for over a month now. No problems.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Fridge fan noise! Is it really the fan or the compressor???

Tonight, while prepping for our 1st rally in Sisters, OR, I was trying out my new generator (works great!), turned on the fridge to cool it down for the trip in two days and noticed the fridge fan was on. So for the first time I opened the fridge vent outside the A/S to see if all the noise was in fact coming from the fan.....and I don't think it's the fan making the noise....I believe it might be the compressor motor! Now all you who have replaced your fans and the noise went completely away...you probably had a noisy fan. But the noise inside is kind of a high pitched "whirrrrrr" (kinda like an air raid siren when it starts up), completely different from the fan noise outside. In fact I think the fan is pretty quiet. So do you think the fan noise can be vibrating through the fridge to the inside to cause a completely different sound? I was ready to order the SilenX fans recommended on the forums, but now I'm not sure!
Help!
Jim Jordan

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Tonight, while prepping for our 1st rally in Sisters, OR, I was trying out my new generator (works great!), turned on the fridge to cool it down for the trip in two days and noticed the fridge fan was on. So for the first time I opened the fridge vent outside the A/S to see if all the noise was in fact coming from the fan.....and I don't think it's the fan making the noise....I believe it might be the compressor motor! Now all you who have replaced your fans and the noise went completely away...you probably had a noisy fan. But the noise inside is kind of a high pitched "whirrrrrr" (kinda like an air raid siren when it starts up), completely different from the fan noise outside. In fact I think the fan is pretty quiet. So do you think the fan noise can be vibrating through the fridge to the inside to cause a completely different sound? I was ready to order the SilenX fans recommended on the forums, but now I'm not sure!
Help!
Jim Jordan
Hi Jim,

I am using a single SilenX and resistor as installed according the instructions earlier in this thread.

Quote:
SilenX 120mm 11 dBA Fan now $32.00
Part number: 0000375
http://www.eastluna.com/hardware/det...ProductID=0375
Quote:
The SilenX was STILL too noisy for my liking so I went down to Radio Shack and bought a 100 Ohm 10 Watt resistor (part #271-135 - around a dollar) and spliced into the fan's red power line.
I have to stick my head to the outside upper fridge vent in order to tell if the fan is running, it is so quiet now. It is barely audible. I can't hear it from inside the coach.

The original fan was very loud inside and could be your problem. I was surprised at how loud it was. And, it runs almost all the time while the fridge is on (A/C or propane). I would disconnect the fan and see if the noise disappears... I had to switch fans out of necessity. I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

There are no compressors in our fridges so that can't be it. In fact, other than the fan, there are no moving parts required to cool your fridge. On my 22' CCD, I hear nothing but crickets at night now. It was probably the best upgrade I've done so far...

Please let us know what you find.

Best regards and have a great trip!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
sorry to bring back an old thread....
i just received this fan in the mail today (after reviewing this thread).
i noticed it has a 3 prong connector or a 4 prong connector.
is this plug and play or do i need to splice these wires when i remove the old fan?
thanks in advance!
ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I did the fan modification a couple years back and I had to splice the wire from the new fan into the existing wiring. I used 2 fans and I am very happy with the results

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Are these fan noise issues common to all A/S, or just certain models or sizes?
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I think the old airstreams had a vent up the side through the roof to let the heat from the frig heat exchanger rise through the top. But, the newer models that don't have that roof vent need some help to get the heat out....so, they use fans. I'm guessing almost all models have them.

I haven't searched for a quieter fan yet, but, it certainly can get irritating.

I remember in the old days, I had a Pinnacle MH whose frig needed help even with the roof vent. When parked, I would put a small 7" house fan in the side to get more airflow. It really made a difference to make that frig cool down.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
No More Refer Cooling Fan Noise ... Period

Look up GentleTyphoon 120mm Silent Case Fan Series D1225C12B 1450,1850 and 4250 RPM. Order the 1850 RPM unit and never look back. Using the factory brackets, I simply cut some shims out of plastic rain gutter spreaders to compensate for the thinner unit. I kept it outboard, close to the louvers. Install was simple. Finally, NO more Noise ... period! I'm out $19.50 & about $5 shipping. The install took about 1/2 hour, because I had to make the shims and sip a Coke.

The main difference is high volume, slower RPM with what feels like more air, and double ball bearings. When I showed Nancy, she had to put her ear up to the louvers to hear it run. The manufacturer will answer any questions that you may have. See how far you can throw that old fan! Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren View Post
sorry to bring back an old thread....
i just received this fan in the mail today (after reviewing this thread).
i noticed it has a 3 prong connector or a 4 prong connector.
is this plug and play or do i need to splice these wires when i remove the old fan?
thanks in advance!
You only need two of the wires, so I cut off the connector. Of the three wires, one is +, one is -, and the other is for speed control (which you will not use).

Tags
2004 international