Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
North Granby , Connecticut
Cleaned up old base support

Spent the past weekend cleaning up the light supports, wash them with Dawn dish soap both sides and a scrubby pad they cleaned up good. Let them dry then wipe them with denature alcohol this is so that the tape will stick to the aluminum supports. Installed new three way switches for them. Next pleased the LED strips onto the supports and tested each of them with a nine volt battery to make sure that they worked independently. Am weighting for the connector leads that i order to come in from Amazon so i can hook them up to work on the new switches. Will post my progress after the leads come in. Should be in a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light change over 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	256632   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light change over 007.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	256633  

Name:	LED light change over 003.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	256634   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED light change over 009.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	256635  

Big G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Hi all just got back from my vacation over seas. let me tell you what i have completed so far. Installed six led lights to each of the four aluminum plates that held the incandescent lights. Had to wait for the connector to come in, back order from Amazon. Received them while i was on holiday, installed them last Saturday. Have them connected to new three way switches just like the old lights. Photo to follow. Short six connectors for the last light will order them next week as well as more led lights. am going to put them over the windows in the front as well as the sleeping area and bath room. The photo below are of the lights in each position with one set for the first light and so on. Lights are tested using my jump start battery 12v.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camper and floor 008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	257805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and floor 009.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	257806  

Name:	Camper and floor 010.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	257807  
Old 03-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Hi All, Well last night i finished changing over the incandescent light fixtures to LEDs. Started with the over head lights that attach to the ceiling then moved on to the two lights that were over the twin beds, then lastly replaced the six lights that were over the bathroom mirror. photos below of all seven lights. Need to replace the switches on the twin bed lights, one works part time and the other dose not work at all. Come spring will remove the shell and finish the frame welding and save up for new axles to replace the worn out ones. Will keep you up dated as progress go on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lights and floor 019.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	258460   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights and floor 020.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	258461  

Name:	lights and floor 021.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	258462  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Hi all
I just spent the last couple of weeks in my spare time reading the book I order from amazon. The title is Restoring a Dream by Tim Shephard. I found that the way he did his overhaul is kind of the same way that I am doing mine. But at a slower pace. On the east coast ware we have to deal with colder winters that he does not have to.
To start with you should have a solid frame under your AS. In my case I had to remove some rust in a long area 1”x 12” behind the rear wheels on the street side of the trailer. This was simply cutting out the damage area and replacing it with new steel that I welded into place, than I had to inforce two lower side rails on both side of the front area, one on the street side and on the curbside in front of the stairs.
Come spring after the ground firms up I will continue working on the rest of the frame and finished it. Once the frame is secured than I will install the precut sub flooring that is secured to the “c” channel on the shell and bolt it to the frame.
Over the winter I have spent my time overhauling the incandescent light that was used on the overhead panels. Time well spent. I will be using Tim’s book as a reference when I come across an area that I am having a problem with. Thank you Tim for the book. If someone is thinking about doing an over haul I highly recommend this book to start with.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I also enjoyed Tim Sheppard's bood Restoring a Dream. He discusses his experiences which are similar to most of us who renovate one of these vintage Airstreams. And his Vintage Airstream Podcast (the VAP) series was great fun too as well as informational. Listen in sometime.

http://www.thevap.com/

Keep us posted as you progress down your renovation journey.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Mouse in fresh water tank

Was getting ready to per install the fresh water tank when i notice a smell coming from the tank. Looked inside and did not see anything in the tank. I then added about ten gallons of water to see if could loosen up anything and lo and behold I found the dead mouse at the bottom of the tank. Next I drained the tank and proceeded to remove the mouse but it came out in pieces and smelled so bad that I had to put on a respirator to finish removing it. Removed all remients of the mouse from the tank. Now I have this problem should I wash out the tank with bleach at a 50 50 mix or replace the tank?
Old 06-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
1974 International Land Yacht Overlander Project

Bleach it at about 25% solution. That will kill anything, including viruses.

Dead mice can really smell bad, but flushing tank thoroughly a couple times with bleach will cure it.

I'd be looking for mouse holes unless the drain valve was left open or uncapped. (bad practice, IMHO)

Had a dead one under the sink at home. That was really awful.

Try not to think about it too much. It's disgusting but curable.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Mouse

Thanks rmkrum, The tank was removed last fall and stored in my garage last winter standing upright with the opening were not taped closed. Will try your mix and see if it works. I just do not to get sick from this little critter.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Have not posted any thing for some time, because i have been sick and working on the Overlander between Dr. appointments. Have cleaned the inter panels with comet or Ajax, simple green. have photos of before and after
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Big G: Hope you are getting better. Working on a vintage Airstream helps the healing process so I'm told.

Since we last posted, I've acquired a 75 Overlander that I am currently working on. I wonder what differences there were between 74 and 75. Maybe just interior decorating.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote