It's been a while since I last posted so thought I'd give an update.
We had a slow summer (not much work on the trailer) but we've spent the last few months solely on the windows and the frame.
Mostly spent a few hours here and a few hours there grinding rust and old paint off the frame... removing various little things as I go (wheel covers, break lines, etc.). I think the frame is starting to look clean and ready for the por15 treatment. We also removed the axels and attached some new 1/2" iron plates to the outriggers (the little plat that the belly pan rivets to).
Below are some progress pictures.
I also have a few questions
1. Any thoughts on the frame condition? We were pleasantly surprised with the condition. It all seems very solid. There is a bit of pitting in the front and rear but I don't think it is anything major.
2. I am about to start the por15 treatment. I have a tad bit of grinding / sandblasting left. But overall, does the frame look like its in a good state to paint?
3. From what I've read on the por15 treatment, I think it goes as follows: degrease the frame / rinse / let dry, apply metal prep / rinse / let dry, paint on 2 coats of por15. Do I have that right? Any tips?
4. Next steps... after I paint the frame, I think I am ready for the new subfloor. Heard a trick to slide in full sheets through the wheel well. Anyone ever try this? Any luck? How else can I get full sheets in?
5. I would also like to patch up the roof... any tips for this? Do I just need to orderer some aluminum, cut to fit, screw it in and seal it with sikaflex? Also, what does everyone do with the fridge exhaust? We aren't planning on having a full sized fridge so won't need that hole anymore.
6. Windows... oh boy. All of ours were double paned. All of which either had water inside and or had the internal tint deteriorating. We're opting to convert them all to single paned (heard that was a thing people do?) but haven't found any good details on how people put the windows back together with just one pane? We were thinking about finding a rubber gasket type thing that we could wedge in beween the outer pane and the inside of the window frame. Then using a seal around the outside and in...? Thoughts? Also, we have 2 stubborn window frames that refuse to come apart. They will not separate on the bottom... I think that internal rod has rusted / stuck to the inside of the frame. How have people overcome this?