Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
revbec

1992 25' Excella
tacoma , Washington
Question Freshwater Overflow Geyser

My "handy" husband filled the freshwater tank for the first time on our Excella '92 classic-and really (over)filled it, as water appeared between the rear twin beds- found a thread referring to this happening to others but also the suggestion of a crack in the top of the tank- but we just came back from rough roads up and down around Mt. Rainier, and if there was a crack in the tank I think more would have sloshed out but seems to not be leaking- also no leaks on the ground- this happen to anyone else? Should we only fill the freshwater 2/3 or so? What is the best way to clean/dry it so carpet does not get a musty odor?
Thank you for your help. Those who have SOB are missing out on a wonderful community...
RevBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you should be able to fill your tank right to the top with no leaks! something is wrong for sure!

start by finding the "basement" in your trailer, that is the location where all the piping to the tank goes through the floor. then if you can with a flashlight and possibly a small mirror look to see if the large AND the small hoses from the filler are still attached. you also may need to try to recreate the filling incident while watching this area.

hopefully it is just a hose problem. if not a tank repair or replacement may be in order.

as for drying out the trailer, run the ac unit it will draw the moisture out.

john
Old 09-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
revbec

1992 25' Excella
tacoma , Washington
Thank you John- I will look at the bottom of the rig, so far no evidence of water near the hot water heater or the drains in the closet, just on the floor between the twin beds... I thought water would find its way down and out- so am curious as to how it comes to the inside and top of the freshwater tank...
I did find a thread about some owners with Excella's that reported a "top leak" like this and one was going to e mail AS- but there the thread ended. Seemed curious that all had the same leak in the same place- any other ideas?
Thank you-
Also- it did not leak the rest of the trip when filled 2/3 full- is there an overflow valve like a pressure release on a freshwater tank?
RevBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
is there an overflow valve like a pressure release on a freshwater tank?
no, but there is a small hose that runs from the top of the tank to the back of the filler.

it lets the air out when you fill the tank.

john
Old 04-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Pueblo , Colorado
I have a 1993 30' Excella. The water fill connection on the street side has what looks like an aluminum ring that tightens the hose; mine us cracked. does anyone know the proper name so I can order a new one?

Jerry
jerry1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Freshwater Overflow Geyser

Just replaced the fresh water filler door assembly on our 2006 Bunkhouse with a stainless piece. Was shocked when I got the old door/housing off to find that the filler piece had just been sitting in the filler tube since it came from the factory. The hose clamp had been tightened so low on the hose that it could NEVER have had a water tight seal. I imagine that every fill up of the fresh water tank resulted in some leakage into the trailer behind the cabinets. Sigh........fortunately, we aren't seeing any damage, but if I had never had the door assembly off, we would never have known.
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote