Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
2nd A/C for a 34' - 2002 Classic

Hi all, we just purchased a 1997 34' classic with a single A/C. Living in Texas especially this year, it's been very hot and I have a question about adding a second A/C. Is it better to upgrade the 13.5 unit to a 15000 or just add a second unit, which brings up the question about ease of this conversion. Is the roof in the bedroom able to accommodate the a/c, or do you have to mod the trailer.

Also does anyone know of a good shop in the DFW area to preform the work.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1997 34' Excella Classic
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Arlington, Texas
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Lots of info...

Go to Google dot com and type this...

"2nd ac site:airforums.com" without the quotes

I've added a second one to mine and it makes a HUGE difference!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
I think you'll be happier w/a second one...besides which if one ever fails at least you have the other to help keep things livable.

On our current AS and our last rig having 2 allowed us to primarily run tghe one where we were not sitting/sleeping (when it wasn't too hot) making it a lot quieter.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post

1997 34' Excella Classic
Arlington, Texas
There is an Airstream service facility (ex dealer, no longer sells Airstreams) in Carolton, TX, which I used about 6 years ago (I'm assuming they are still in business) basis a recommendation from Jackson Center, OH. I was having on-going air conditioner problems which were still under warranty. I was impressed with the quality of their work even though the facility itself was somewhat cluttered. They ran a 10 guage cable to my AC unit which required them to remove the refrigerator to access the ceiling to route the wiring. Again, I was impressed with their work and they did no damage to my coach (2002 ASCL 31').

Call Jackson Center Service to confirm they are still recommended by Airstream.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
There is an Airstream service facility (ex dealer, no longer sells Airstreams) in Carolton, TX, which I used about 6 years ago (I'm assuming they are still in business) basis a recommendation from Jackson Center, OH. I was having on-going air conditioner problems which were still under warranty. I was impressed with the quality of their work even though the facility itself was somewhat cluttered. They ran a 10 guage cable to my AC unit which required them to remove the refrigerator to access the ceiling to route the wiring. Again, I was impressed with their work and they did no damage to my coach (2002 ASCL 31').

Call Jackson Center Service to confirm they are still recommended by Airstream.
I think that's North Dallas RV. Good people.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
To support a second a/c you'll need to upgrade to 50 amp electrical service, or provide a dedicated circuit for the second unit.

I'm getting by with my 13.5K unit in my '34 here in Austin (112º on Sunday) but to do it I have a patio mister hose stretched along the roof centerline with the nozzles spraying water upward to keep down the heat gain through the overhead.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
We added a second a/c after the first summer of triple digit temps. Found that even in the 90's the single unit only kept the interior temps tolerable and did not effectively cool the unit.

Crusty is correct re: 50 amps. Fortunately our unit was 50 amps from the factory.

If I may suggest, you may also consider converting the Bath vent to a FF even if you do not go forward with the 2nd a/c . Wish I had done this sooner, although I had a FF in the bedroom before it was removed for the second a/c install. It is much more effective at removing the moisture in the bath than the puny vent fan.

FWIW ,

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Thanks for all the information. I think I will pursue the second unit idea first, (cost,trouble ect..) then try some of the other suggestions. Again thank everyone for the input.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here is what I did...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post839907

My only 2 suggestions...11,000 btu MAX...anything larger will blast frigid air into the small bedroom for 60 seconds, shut off for 10 minutes, then repeat...

Use a 3/8" min inside dia drain and assure it never slopes upward...

Ok...a 3rd item...run the new AC off of a new breaker panel and separate 15/20/30 amp inlet. Hooking up a second power cable may seem like a PITA but it offers options...I've had a couple of cases where I only had a single 30A hookup...I could choose to run the rear air and sleep cool...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying
Hi all, we just purchased a 1997 34' classic with a single A/C. Living in Texas especially this year, it's been very hot and I have a question about adding a second A/C. Is it better to upgrade the 13.5 unit to a 15000 or just add a second unit, which brings up the question about ease of this conversion. Is the roof in the bedroom able to accommodate the a/c, or do you have to mod the trailer.

1997 34' Excella Classic
Arlington, Texas
Just a update to our second a/c issue. I had North Dallas RV in Carrolton, TX install a second 13500 btu unit in our bedroom. We took the fantastic fan and moved it to the bathroom per another member's recommendation. We installed a new circuit breaker panel, as well as converted the trailer to 50 amp service, along with a marinco power inlet that installs through the skin of the trailer, like the new trailers. I ordered a new 36' power cord from airstream, which makes hookup much easier, no need to get on your knees or even bend over. Everything in the trailer runs off one cord, both a/c's, converter everything. I'll let you know next summer how well it works. One last note, North Dallas RV did a really nice job on the install, they are a little hard to get too, their lot is really crowded, but they are very nice to work with, no complaints what so ever. Again thank everyone for the input.

Tags
2002 classic