Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Yearly inspection for maintaining warranty

We have owned our 2014.5 AI for almost a year now, and have put about 12K miles on it. Had our chassis serviced by Mercedes earlier this year, but are coming up on the year deadline for having the house inspected by an Airstream service dept. to maintain the warranty. We had set up an appointment at the dealership where we purchased our AI (about 350 miles from where we live, because a dealership closer to our home town made it clear they would only be able to "work us in" between their "own customers"), and they said the inspection would take 3 or 4 days to complete. If the inspection really takes that long, we are concerned that there will be a whopping big charge for it (and we would have to add to that the cost of the three or four nights we stay in a hotel waiting for the inspection to be completed).

Additionally, we need to have our bathroom vent fan replaced (under warranty), and were told that it would take even longer to get that done, as the warranty work has to be submitted and approved by Airstream before it can be completed (a process which they told us would take several days).

We are starting to feel a distinct sense that we are SOL when it comes to cooperation from Airstream, and are thinking this inspection requirement is one more hoop to jump through with little payoff in terms of service. Anyone have information about the cost of getting their AI inspected? Any advice about whether we should even get this inspection or not?

andybree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybree View Post
If the inspection really takes that long, we are concerned that there will be a whopping big charge for it (and we would have to add to that the cost of the three or four nights we stay in a hotel waiting for the inspection to be completed).
It will take less than a day's labor to inspect everything. But it might take a few days of "an hour here, an hour there" to get that entire "less than a day" in, depending on how full their schedule is.

Ask the dealer if they have courtesy parking, and if you can stay in your Interstate at night when they're not inspecting it.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would take to the selling dealer since local doesn't want to earn your future and continued business.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like that dealership is trying to lose your business. First I would contact Jackson Center and let them know about this crappy customer service. Next I would find another dealership that would appreciate your business.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
I had thought about this issue when buying our 2015 AI, and decided to pay several $K more to our "local" dealer (the only one in-state) rather than travel ~ 300 miles away to another. I was afraid of this kind of difficulty in lining up future service with the local. And yes, you can call Jackson ... but there are so many ways a dealer can still mess with you regardless. The problem is the thin dealership network across geographies. Just a fact of life I guess.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
More than one Airstream dealership has lost their franchise because of bad customer service and for warranty repair issues. The mothership has no way of knowing if they are not notified. Warranty work pays the same for labor no matter where the unit was purchased.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Both good points. I remember asking my local dealer what service would be like if I wound up buying somewhere else. He made the same point you're making about warranty labor. Then he also said something about giving "priority" to customers who had actually bought there, when they were busy in service. Sounds like that's part of what Andy is hearing.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I can see first come first serve and taking care of prior appointments first. But to tell a customer that it would take several days for an inspection that should take no more than 3 or 4 hours is total smoke and mirrors. Must be nice that their business is so good that they can run customers away. The name of the dealership should be posted so others will know what to expect from them.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
A yearly inspection (by you or an authorized Dealer)is recommend for any Airstream product and not having one done does not necessarily void the warranty unless a know problem is not addressed.You should keep up with what condition your Airstream is in.Warranty authorization is given to a Dealership within 48hrs or less depending on the issue and a call to Airstream will always help clarify what needs to be done.
Most Dealers this time of year have a full schedule and are trying to keep up which usually is the reason for delays in completion of repair work.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I have ordered a 25' Flying Cloud from Can-Am in Ontario. Pick up on the 26-27 June.
Is everybody in Ontario happy with their service, or are there some disgruntled issues to deal with. I live about 350 KM. FROM THEM.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Dealers are the WEAK link in an otherwise good product. We have visited four AS dealers after purchasing our AS last August. We would only go back to one of the four, Airstream Desert Autoplex in Meza, AZ. They are excellent and the manager Denny Donaldson has owned an AS for years. The others I would not go back to unless it was absolutely necessary. We live in VA 2,500 miles from AZ so for us unless we are in the west and can get to Desert Autoplex it's The Mother Ship in Jackson Center.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
Thumbs up Warranty work refund

We too live far from the dealer we bought from. We store ours at an indoor storage warehouse that also does repairs on all kinds of RV's. We have had two warranty issues repaired by them. We paid the repair bill and submitted it along with the paper work to Jackson Center, with a nice note, both times they reimbursed us by return mail. They were very quick about it.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Hmmmmmmm....must've missed this in deliberations with dealer. Do not recall EVER hearing about an inspection requirement. Fortunately our unit has been bug-free. Must go back and RTFM.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mine didn't have an inspection requirement.

Must have come later.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Hmmmmmmm....must've missed this in deliberations with dealer. Do not recall EVER hearing about an inspection requirement. Fortunately our unit has been bug-free. Must go back and RTFM.....

Same here; and I've never had issues getting warranty work done from the dealer, even this last month.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Jim&Teach

1976 31' Sovereign
Portage , Indiana
Just bought a '76 31' LY. No warranty. Sorry trying to put a Ha! Ha! Out there.
jimmbob is offline   Reply With Quote