Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Windshield Replacement --- FINALLY

Our insurance company's preferred vendor is Safelite. I contacted the vendor and they said they would send two guys to replace it the next Thursday. After 10 days, I call them and they said they needed a picture of the manufacturer information in the lower driver side of the windshield before ordering it. So I drove the 10 mile round trip to the storage area, took and sent the picture. Then about a week later they called saying their techs would be at our residence on the following Thursday between 8 and 5. I retrieved the AI from storage again and about 4:30 PM a lone tech showed, looked at the windshield and said yup, they had ordered the right one... and he drove off. I took the AI back to storage. They called and scheduled the replacement for another Thursday - two weeks later. I retrieved the AI from storage again. Same tech showed at about 4:30 PM. No promised call prior to arriving. And he was by himself again. He got the windshield out of his van and showed me the two leads coming off the top of the windshield and said that he'd have to drop the "headliner" during his installation. It quickly became apparent that he had never done a Sprinter in his 23 years of experience. I looked at my watch and said "You need to leave." Astounded, he put the windshield back in his van and drove away. I was done with Safelite and their incompetence.
I called AmFam and they immediately had Reliable Glass (Phx area) call me. They asked if I could bring it into their shop and I said sure. A few days later they installed the windshield in about an hour and a half. They simply dropped the dome light module to hook up the heating leads. I watched the whole operation and left their shop happy. I will admit the heating element in the new windshield is shiny and more visible, but I haven't energized it yet

iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks for the update and glad you got it done right after the bad experience with Safelite.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote