Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Travel to Canada

We're planning a bucket list trip for a close friend and will be going to Niagara Falls, through Canada, starting in the area of Detroit.

I understand that I should have medicines in their original bottles. What about food? Can we take food in th fridge into and out of Canada?

What issues might we need to prepare for?

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
I think it's mainly fresh fruits & vegetables and remember, no Kinder Eggs back into the USA...
Old 09-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Bring common sense. Leave fireams at home.

All the information you need is here: Government of Canada - Be Aware and Declare! - What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products?

Have a great trip.

Niagara Falls is a tourist trap and really quite awful. If you have time, you may wish to visit Niagara on the Lake, about 45 minutes away. Yes, also a bit of a tourist trap, but beautiful.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I think it's mainly fresh fruits & vegetables and remember, no Kinder Eggs back into the USA...
Lol. Funny.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Getting into Canada is probably going to be a lot easier than getting back into the U.S. - but regardless - have passports ready and pet vaccination certificates available - as far as food products we've made it a standard practice for many years now to try and cross without perishables on board - then stock up on the other side.

Although you didn't ask about routes you might want to consider staying away from the 400 series highways if you want to take a bit more of a leisurely trip through the countryside - suggest highway 3 as one consideration.

Also - Niagara Falls is a busy place - you might also want to think about taking advantage of day-tours - a number are listed here: Niagara Falls Tours - Cruises and Tours of Niagara Falls . They are a great way to see busier destinations and avoid fighting traffic and wasting time looking for parking. We've found this kind of service helpful for at least the first day - then we have our bearings and can plan from there.

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Niagara Falls is to be avoided. There are so many great things to see in that region, there isn't much point in the tourist traps. Like theatre? Head up to Stratford. Like art? Hit the ROM in Toronto or head North to Kleinburg and spend a day at the McMichael Gallery. Like nature? Head a bit further North and explore cottage country!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
As Ranger Jay said, it's tougher coming back into the USA. Going into Canada at Sault St Marie, we were ready with vet certs on the dog, etc. The immigration officer just wanted to know about our Airstream and what mileage we got with our Sprinter, besides where we were headed. It was a breeze, and a pleasure, and one of the reasons we've been back to Canada whenever we can.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
As others have said, you'll find it easier getting into Canada than you will getting back into the US. Like Ranger Jay, we rarely take any food at all into the US, New York State's Wegman's stores are where we stock up after crossing the border.

Niagara Falls is very touristy but you should try it once, just to say that you've been; it's not so bad. In the UK the seaside town of Blackpool is much the same (without the waterfall of course) and it's every Englishman's duty to visit it once in their lifetime

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
As others have said, you'll find it easier getting into Canada than you will getting back into the US. Like Ranger Jay, we rarely take any food at all into the US, New York State's Wegman's stores are where we stock up after crossing the border.

Niagara Falls is very touristy but you should try it once, just to say that you've been; it's not so bad. In the UK the seaside town of Blackpool is much the same (without the waterfall of course) and it's every Englishman's duty to visit it once in their lifetime
Too funny - don't you mean Margate or Clapton-on-Sea?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Too funny - don't you mean Margate or Clapton-on-Sea?
Yes, but I'm a softy southerner so I think Margate and Clacton are wonderful

Clifton Hill on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls does run Blackpool to a very close second:

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

Our last trip to Niagara Falls, crossing into Canada was terrible. We must have looked menacing (just kidding). My wife and I and our two kids were all asked to stand by the wall while two Canadian border guards went through our Airstream for 20 - 25 minutes. It took us another 15 minutes to get it back together, as we had to stow items that the officers took out from under the dinette, cabinets etc.

We love Niagara Falls - the tourist traps and the contrast with the amazing natural beauty.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Brighton , Michigan
I just got back from a week in northern Ontario. I don't take fruits and veggies, but anything packaged has been fine. Bring everything you can as there are NO bargains in Canada. Make sure your tank is full as well, gas is at least 30% higher. Id suggest one of the truck stops at Zeeb rd., assuming your taking I94 from I69. If your taking 23 to 94, you might be best to top off in Ohio. Zeeb rd is easy on/off and about 50 miles from the bridge. Much closer and you start getting into the Romulus/Detroit mess. Niagra Falls are beautiful and surrounded by tourist trap. Two nights is plenty.
Enjoy,
Dan
Danruehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tourist traps and travel go together, if you want to see the great features of the world. Make the best of them and enjoy yourselves. I made the trip from Detroit to Niagara Falls through Canada 40 years ago and it is still a great memory. We plan to go again soon.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Don't you want to see what more than six million cubic feet (168,000 m3) of water falling over the crest line every minute looks like? The highest flow rate of any waterfall in the world?

Bring a raincoat.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
Don't bring more then one open bottle of booze. I had 2 new and had to pay an additional 78 bucks for the 2 and 3 bottles of wine and 2 bottles of beer.
Didn't know a 69 yr old was a menace. Took an hour and a half for the search.
Crossing to US was a breeze 4 wks later.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We spent a couple nights at Niagara-on-the-Lake two months ago -- saw the falls and experienced almost nothing of the tourist trap extravaganza. I should say no kids were in tow. We camped at the former Shalamar Lake campground (now Vine Ridge) just south of N-o-t-L. There are a good assortment of restaurants in the latter.

The falls are a leisurely 20 minutes south of N-o-t-L and well worth seeing. The big Horseshoe Falls is best viewed from the Canadian side. Maid of the Mist docks on the American side -- a very wet boat ride. There is a large parking area just south of the Canadian side of the falls but it's about $20 to park there. Niagara Parkway has a number of features with free parking and regular bus service into town. We enjoyed the Butterfly Conservatory at the arboretum on Niagara Parkway.

Bring no guns or personal defense sprays into Canada. Do your homework first if any of the traveling party has ever had a DUI -- Canada has gotten a bit more lenient but they used to turn anyone away with that status. It's two 750ml bottles of alcohol products per person, whether entering Canada or the US. Getting back into the US is the bigger issue for Americans -- no fresh fruits or veggies as has been said. Canada welcomes tourism. I've never had anything but a fast entry to Canada as long as I told them I was going home...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I think the falls themselves are worth seeing-- but the city, no-- although natives might point out some good restaurants or something. The Canadian falls are in a city park-like area, somewhat insulated from all the kitsch.

I think one bottle of alcohol, two bottles of wine, or a six-pack per person is the limit on alcohol. Have your passports at the ready to hand over, with rabies certificates for any pets, as well. (We have only been asked about them twice, but they can request them.) The link posted above is worthwhile perusing, because every so often the rules change. We once had to sacrifice an entire box of US strawberries to the Crown, and massive quantities of cheese are verboten for some reason.

Be prepared for long delays at the border. Over an hour is not unusual. Crossing times vary and you should be able to find them on-line. Depending upon your plans, we usually prefered crossing at Sarnia rather than Detroit.

The US is fussier about produce and meat than Canada and its rules change depending upon what problem they're concerned about at the moment.

So the big questions are: what do you like to do, and will the time of year affect open hours for places you want to visit?

If you want to stay in eastern Canada but can manage a trip along the St. Lawrence River through Quebec, it is well worth doing. Quebec City is still a walled city, with a very Old Europe flare. There are guided tours that are very informative.

Of course our favourite parts are the Canadian Rockies and coast! Another trip, perhaps?

Have a super trip!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes, Len n Jeanne. It's complicated -- for Visitors to Canada; Alcohol & Tobacco guidelines

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Brighton , Michigan
A bottle of alcohol or 24 beers per drinking age. Don't know about wine. No weapons. DUI is a major problem.
Danruehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
We fish near Atikokan ,Ontario and cross the border at Thunder Bay. I take a weeks worth of food in from the US because you are not going to buy anthing where we are at. No problem coming or going. Strict rules on alcohol,tobacco, and firearms that you must follow. Pets must have a current rabies certificate. Canadian customs is much more hospitable to US citizens than the US agents are I have to say.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote