Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Swing down front TV

Since I converted our lounge to twin beds, the second row seats in the front are the most convenient TV viewing spot. The trouble is that the TV is mounted way too high and there is a limit to how far the seat backs recline. The results are stiff necks.

I have been considering a new TV mount that would store the TV in the current position, but allow it to swing down 180 degrees for watching. When at rest, there is little need to access the cab. My first thought is a sturdy swing-out mount turned 90 degrees so that the TV is stored in its present place when the mount is closed and drops about 18" when the mount is open.

This would also greatly improve access to the overhead storage. It is badly blocked now, especially on the left for access to the Blu-Ray player and HDMI switch.

I can several things I need to address:
  1. A sturdy restraint for when the TV is stored in the up position.
  2. A latch of some sort to keep the TV vertical when it is in the down position.
  3. Probably some cable extensions.

I don't see any of these things as very difficult. Perhaps a spring-loaded pin similar to the rear TV latch for the up position and some sort of notched arm to hook on the top of the TV to keep it upright in the down position. There is a mess of cable behind the TV now; maybe I can improve that.

Has anyone done something of this type? I would be grateful for any ideas/photos.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Here's my solution. The tv stores in essentially the stock position but drops down about 16 inches to a comfortable viewing height. It also has a spring pin which will allow it to swivel side to side. It is a very standard swing mount turned 90 degrees. The large spring pin latches the bulk of the mount and tv in the up position and I added a 2nd one near the top of the mount to keep the top of the tv in place. Unfortunately I used too light of a pin which broke so I have a heavier one on order. It came with one locking knob which was fine for using the mount as it was intended but in no way could you get enough torque on it to keep the tv in position when used as shown. My solution was to replace the single locking knob with two handle type friction locks which work fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Mount.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	287817   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Mount II.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	287818  

c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Thanks. I knew I am not the only one wanting a lower TV.

Your "fix" is exactly what I envisioned doing. I'm glad it is proving successful for someone else. I want to make the switch before our next trip.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post

Your "fix" is exactly what I envisioned doing. I'm glad it is proving successful for someone else. I want to make the switch before our next trip.
I believe my mount may be a Mor/ryde brand mount. On 2nd thought it didn't come with a locking knob, just bolts with nyloc nuts at the hinge points. That's where I added the friction handles. You will also need some short cable extensions.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:

I'm 90% certain this is the mount I used. Mor-Ryde TV1-025H TV Wall Mount Swivel Small Extending. $80.43 on Amazon right now.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Contributing Member

I have a Mor-Ryde mount ordered. It should be here later this week. It looks like a really secure mount.

I'll take down the TV in the morning and see what extensions I will need.

This is something that Airstream should have done for the price they get for these units. It is pretty obvious there is no way to comfortably watch that front TV.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I have a Mor-Ryde mount ordered. It should be here later this week. It looks like a really secure mount.

I'll take down the TV in the morning and see what extensions I will need.

This is something that Airstream should have done for the price they get for these units. It is pretty obvious there is no way to comfortably watch that front TV.
Yes, my wife hated it until I changed out the mount. Here is what I have on order to secure the top of the tv in the storage position: GN417-6-C INDEXING PLUNGER WITH REST. I ordered it from J. Winco for under 10 bucks.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The Mor-Ryde TV1-025H looks like a good solution. I used this model, but had to modify it to make it work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The Mor-Ryde TV1-025H looks like a good solution. I used this model, but had to modify it to make it work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one is definitely better priced. What I liked about the Mor is the fact that it has one latch built in so only had to add one latch to keep the top of the tv in place in the storage position. The Mor also allows you to swivel the tv from side to side about 10 degrees.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
After a bit more research, this is the mount I used. Doesn't look a whole lot different from the one I previously mentioned. Mor-Ryde TV1-021H TV Wall Mount Swivel Extending Light Duty
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
After a bit more research, this is the mount I used. Doesn't look a whole lot different from the one I previously mentioned. Mor-Ryde TV1-021H TV Wall Mount Swivel Extending Light Duty
Exactly the one I ordered. I shied away from the even lighter model because of impact loads while on the road.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #12
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Exactly the one I ordered. I shied away from the even lighter model because of impact loads while on the road.
When I initially installed the friction handles, I tried it with one thru bolt. I couldn't get enough squeeze to keep the tv verticle so I redid it with two bolts each of which feeds from inside of the large rectangle tube. Works great now.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Durham , North Carolina
Thank you for posting this question/topic. I am a newbie (9 mos) to the RV world and have enjoyed our 2015 Interstate Coach. I found the front TV in a locked positioned to be a pain in the neck as well. I am not inclined to make any improvements like you are doing myself but would appreciate any suggestions on a business that anyone might recommend for such upgrades. Would you to an Auto Electronics store, Camping World or Walmart Auto center?
Does Airstream review any of the feeds for future improvements to their products?
JFClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFClayton View Post
Thank you for posting this question/topic. I am a newbie (9 mos) to the RV world and have enjoyed our 2015 Interstate Coach. I found the front TV in a locked positioned to be a pain in the neck as well. I am not inclined to make any improvements like you are doing myself but would appreciate any suggestions on a business that anyone might recommend for such upgrades. Would you to an Auto Electronics store, Camping World or Walmart Auto center?
Does Airstream review any of the feeds for future improvements to their products?
Welcome to the Air Forums.

Check to see if there are any upfitters in your area. They do this type of mods a lot.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Contributing Member

First steps

I disconnected and took down the front TV this morning and made a quick inventory of cabling that I need to extend.

Cabling turns out to be a fairly minor problem. I already have a short antenna coax and connector. I bought a short HDMI extension today. Most of the remaining cables are already long enough. I still need to extend one yellow signal cable and the 14v power cable.

The power cable will be easy; a little wire splicing and some shrink wrap should take care of that.

I'll be ready to roll when the swing arm is delivered.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I disconnected and took down the front TV this morning and made a quick inventory of cabling that I need to extend.

Cabling turns out to be a fairly minor problem. I already have a short antenna coax and connector. I bought a short HDMI extension today. Most of the remaining cables are already long enough. I still need to extend one yellow signal cable and the 14v power cable.

The power cable will be easy; a little wire splicing and some shrink wrap should take care of that.

Very kewl. Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:

BTW, you do much better pictures than I do so perhaps you could share photo's of your mods to the group.
Bill
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
BTW, you do much better pictures than I do so perhaps you could share photo's of your mods to the group.
Bill
I'll do that.

Yesterday, I mounted the swing arm provisionally on the slanted steel OEM mount. As I suspected, I was not at all happy with the results. The TV was too far out and too easy to bump when getting in and out of the sliding door. Operationally, it worked fine when folded down.

Since I have a lot of the matching 1/2" laminated plywood left over from my twin bed mod, I decided to remove the slanted mount altogether and mount the arm vertically on a slab of the plywood, with the plywood extending from the ceiling to the seam at the bottom of the shelf. The plywood will be about 1" wider than the mounting plate and edge trimmed with iron-on trim.

The mounting plate for the TV is quite large in order to match a wide variety of TV brands and sizes. When the TV is on the mounting plate, the plate sticks up about 1 1/4" above the TV itself. I want the TV right up against the ceiling, so I removed the plate and brought it home. Once I get set up, I'll take 1 1/4" off each edge of the plate, use my grinder to round the corners, then spray it gloss black. Cutting the plate down will improve access to the connectors on the rear of the TV.

I did not take any photos today. I promise to take some when I mount the plywood and plate.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Contributing Member

This morning, I cut the plywood mounting block for the TV mount. Then, I could not find my iron-on edging. I know it is somewhere in my cluttered shop. I know I put it somewhere safe and that is the trouble. I'll go back for another look.

I had removed the TV mounting plate from the arm. It is suitable for much larger TVs and way too big. I put a cutoff wheel on my table saw and removed a lot of unneeded metal (see photo) using numerous passes with the wheel raised just a smidgen each pass.. I'll bet the neighbors were wondering what that noise was. I used my grinder to round the corners and smooth the edges.

After lunch, I'll go back for another look for the edging. When that is done, it is time to go back to storage and finish the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170624_113548.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	288087  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Nearly done

I found my edge banding and ironed it on the backing plywood. I have paint matching the edge banding in the coach. I'll paint this edge banding later so that everything matches.

First image is the mount on the backing plywood, sans TV. Upside down, for some reason.

Second image, TV in raised position.

Third image, TV lowered.

Fourth image, Side view from sliding door. Image is sideways, the gremlin is after me today. I may make a plywood piece to block the view of the mount mechanism from the door. Just to look nice.

I could have mounted the TV so that it would have come down another 10" or so, but I like the lowered position with the top of the TV about where the bottom was before the change.

I like the TV stored in the vertical position. It seems more out of the way. When down, I can easily swing it out for access to the cab.

All that remains is getting the cabling sorted out. I'll shorten the wires and mount the earphone switch on the back of the TV and enclose the other wires in flexible covers with some restraints to keep the wires out of the folding parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mount.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	288112   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV raised.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	288113  

Name:	TV lowered.jpg