Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
starter battery dead

for the second time this winter my starter battery went dead despite starting the engine every one or two weeks - it's a 2014 that we have only had since august 2013
i have the coach battery switch off - is there something else i should be doing?
thanks
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Since its a 2014 Airstream you should have the new Magnum inverter system. Can you leave it plugged into shore power even if only 20 amps circuit? Is it sitting where the sun shines on the solar panel on the roof? If you cannot do those things, then learn where the disconnect for the starter battery is under and alongside of the gas pedal. Fully explained in the Mercedes manual. You can turn off the rv battery system with the switch on the post at the end of the sliding door opening but this I believe will still leave a current draw on the rv batteries for the propane valve and propane leak detector. Your rv batteries if kept charged with the solar and or being plugged into shore power will also keep the engine start battery charged. If you have not taken the time to fully read over the Airstream manuals I'd suggest taking some time to do so and I think its pretty well explained within them.

But guaranteed you will get plenty of thoughts and ideas from this forum. Welcome to the Airstream community.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I cannot disconnect the chassis battery on mine. If I do, it sets off the Viper alarm system. So I leave it hooked up all the time.

My chassis battery used to run down in a week or less if I didn't start the engine AND drive it for about half an hour. But after the Mercedes dealer replaced the battery under warranty, it has no trouble going a week or two between charges, even with the alarm system activated..

When Airstream was doing the conversion, and while it was sitting on the dealer's lot waiting to be sold, there's no telling how far the chassis battery might have run down. Don't assume that just because you bought the vehicle "new" that it had a new battery. That battery was probably a year old by the time you bought the vehicle.

Have your local Sprinter dealer check the battery. If it's bad, they'll replace it under warranty.

Even if they don't replace the battery, bear in mind what I said earlier about having to start it AND drive it to charge the battery. Letting the engine run at idle means the alternator is turning at minimum RPMs as well, and it's not as efficient at charging that way. You have to get the engine RPMs up for proper charging through the alternator.