Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Sprinter Sliding Door Conversion

Sprinter Sliding Door Conversion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_171124.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	319034  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Just what I would like to have. Where did you find this? I could see me spending a bit for this.

I had envisioned the same way of a slight bulge to provide a place for the door.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Wonder if it has a build in screen door?

Looks like it would work great with the automatic step standard feature too.

I do like the Chevy-based swing out door, just wish it opened a little taller.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Just what I would like to have. Where did you find this? I could see me spending a bit for this.

I had envisioned the same way of a slight bulge to provide a place for the door.
JOHN - the manufacturer is in Australia. The option is a hot item there for Sprinter conversions. They have option to have factory retrofit or DIY. But they do not supply elsewhere outside of Australia. I have put a call to my body expert to see if he can do this mod. If he can, I will check closer into how to obtain it from AU.

https://www.diyrvsolutions.com.au/door-conversions

ROWIEBOWIE - they do utilize screen doors
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...3145202&type=3
Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
I want it!
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JOHN - the manufacturer is in Australia. The option is a hot item there for Sprinter conversions.

And it looks better than the rear caboose storage option for Sprinters you found.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Does the sliding door still work?
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Does the sliding door still work?
LB_3 - have not been able to confirm, have not received email response yet. My feeling is I will only consider this IF the sliding door functionality is not compromised. Not willing to give that up completely, although we rarely use it anymore, slider is just too heavy even for my young son-in-law who is a PT who trains in MMA and cross-trains in long distance endurance cycling events with me. If a young (half my age) strong dude doesn't like using it, then I feel it can't be good for me, wife, or daughters. Also, family is used to using passenger swing out door now. Will be even more easier to use when I finish modifying the step (just started today).

ROWIEBOWIE - I agree
Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
...Will be even more easier to use when I finish modifying the step (just started today)...
Details, details!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Maybe it is because of the way this one in the photo was done, but I can't stand looking at it... sorry... does not contours to the curvature of the side of the Sprinter... paint does not match.... looks awful. At a minimum it needs to be color matched. And I get that this would be an easier way to go in and out of the AI. I too do not like how heavy and the effort to open the sliding door... but I do not see myself switching to this.

From the photos on their FB page, sliding door is not functional. But unless there are clearance issues, I do not see why the install position can't be modify so you can still keep a working sliding door. All the side window/glass needs to be replaced on the door...but should be doable. And yes, there is an internal screen door.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	404956_604014576281568_662056218_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	319265   Click image for larger version

Name:	544442_604009212948771_437891767_n.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	319266  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
Contributing Member

I would happily do away with the sliding door function. The rear doors can accommodate anything large that might need to be moved in or out.

At the approximate 3K price point, it would be a definite go for me.

Paint matching is a trivial question. Love the screen door since my 2014.5 is one of the last models with no built-in screens. Magnetic or velcro attached netting has no appeal to me.

We do not use the front doors when set up at a site. The front seats are rotated and moved far forward to make maximum room in the living area.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Maybe it is because of the way this one in the photo was done, but I can't stand looking at it... sorry... does not contours to the curvature of the side of the Sprinter... paint does not match.... looks awful. At a minimum it needs to be color matched. And I get that this would be an easier way to go in and out of the AI. I too do not like how heavy and the effort to open the sliding door... but I do not see myself switching to this.

From the photos on their FB page, sliding door is not functional. But unless there are clearance issues, I do not see why the install position can't be modify so you can still keep a working sliding door. All the side window/glass needs to be replaced on the door...but should be doable. And yes, there is an internal screen door.
WACHUKO - actually, with a flat rectangular door, there is no way to avoid the bulge. I would love it if my body guy can do it and follow door curvature. I already gave him the go ahead (if he thinks he can tackle it) to buy a spare door and experiment hacking it. We are hoping to find one in local salvage. The paint on the pics was not done to match Sprinter paint. I think with proper paint matching and body trim reinstalled, it would look much better. Even in its current state, I am willing to try if the sliding functionality is left intact. I agree, the glass also needs to be put back in. That would be tricky since it will be cut in half and the door glass needs to be framed all way around. Disabling slider is a definite deal breaker for me.

If this does not pan out, I have another option that I know is definitely feasible from local west coast source but it is considerably more expensive ($8-10K). But that is just too much to think abut for now.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Contributing Member

I had a curved door on my long-ago Scamp and it is difficult to get a perfect curve match with fiberglass. I like the bulge because it permits a flat door and a flat screen door that will seal better and operate better.

A curved door means hinges will probably protrude to get a linear hinge axis.

Again, I don't care even a bit about retaining the sliding feature. What does it buy, given the wide rear door access, except unneeded complexity?

I think the Aussies have it right.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
To ugly imo, ruins the sleek look of the stock Sprinter. To each his own, we have no problem with opening the slider any way.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I like the bulge because it permits a flat door and a flat screen door that will seal better and operate better.

I think the Aussies have it right.
JOHN - yeah, as others have rightfully noted, the bulge detracts from the Sprinter's natural curved walls. But it is obvious why the bulge is there, to permit a nice flat door that seals properly & vertically. What I have asked my local guy to do is figure out a way to do the same but inset the flat door a little bit further in to maybe minimize the bulge outside (i.e. split the difference between the inside wall and outside wall. He is waiting for a salvage door to experiment with. I still think with some minor finessing in the hands of my expert body professional, I can make this work.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I would like to see the door painted to match the body before declaring it uglier than a mud fense.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I would like to see the door painted to match the body before declaring it uglier than a mud fense.
LB_3 - Me thinks if one thinks it ugly without paint, still ugly with paint. Kinda like makeup on a pig, still a pig.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
JOHN - Found another Aussie door conversion version from
http://www.sunshinemotorhomeconversi...onversions.htm

Similar concept, Slightly less bulge. This is really starting to grow on me, especially this less bulgy one. Just like when I first saw the Sprinter in Italy in 2003 being used by the market square vendors, I thought it was not for me. Didn't like the high roof slim stance. Then it grew on me every year, and with the 3500 EXT Dually, I really like it now. Even my wife comments on how she likes it's rear stance (this from a woman who never cared how her cars look as long as they run flawlessly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mercedes_sprinter1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	319474   Click image for larger version

Name:	mercedes_sprinter2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	319475  

Name:	mercedes_sprinter3_small.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	319478  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Since the track for the slider is covered up, sort of implies that there's no longer any slider function.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
73SHARK - Off topic - your signature below made me smile.

As former design engineer always looking for efficiencies & savings, that is so true. But then when I became a failure analysis engineer, the meaning shifted to "the glass developed a leak."