Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #1381
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

I haven’t been in there in a long time, tho truthfully after 11 years my Interstate wants for nothing I can think of.

My recent purchase of the pretty, pocketed organizer that I attached with suction cups to the wall behind the toilet was a good one....it holds all manner of small bathroom things that previously were jammed into the little medicine cabinet or other odd places.

I like it, it’s the perfect size, and uses that oh-so-valuable vertical space.

Have fun there!

Maggie
Old 05-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #1382
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I just found this thread, and it's terrific! It took me a few days to read through the 99 pages, but it was worth it. In addition to our Airstream trailer, we have a 24 ft Chinook motorhome. The tips in the thread are useful for all small spaces. Thanks to all!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #1383
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Mentioning this because this vendor has not been discussed on this thread before --

The FitRV is plugging Organized Obie, which makes products for RV organization (among other things).

The products look well-designed but of course they come with prices to match. Anyway, it's a really nice assemblage of useful items in one place. And there's a discount code THEFITRV for 5% off.

Sales disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with either site and I get no benefits from either. I just know that I've tried to find certain items such as the netting that these guys sell, and I've had difficulty finding good quality stuff in the past. Anything I've got in the way of netting I have made as DIY projects because of this.

For instance, this shower curtain holder is something I made myself for our wet bath, but Organized Obie does sell similar products:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #1384
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Magnetic Paper Towel Holder

Googling these this morning, this and very similar items came up, from varying vendors, at slightly varying prices, in both red and black.

I ordered this one from WalMart, and will mount it on the heat shield over the burners.

It is a bit lower profile than the one I have had before, and the ends can be set by you to hold the towel roll more snugly...which I like, as it may prevent unraveling while traveling.

Yes, these hold the paper towels well away from the burners, while keeping them handy and convenient for use.

I have had one for 8 years or so, not as low profile as this, mounted on my heat shield with never a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C4A66A2-12A5-4551-8998-0736665A7A91.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	314861  
Old 06-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #1385
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A couple of years ago, I bought a CGear sand free mat, used it one time, and concluded that it's just too big and bulky for our needs. Bulky and uncooperative on the issue of folding. So it sat on a garage shelf following that.

Today I cut it down to a more manageable size and re-bound it so that it would better fit under our awning. Short blog post with #vansizedsewing details here. (And yes, I need to mow our lawn.)

Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #1386
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Removing front TV

Finally got around to removing the front TV and replacing with something more useful. Now I have a handy place for guidebooks, maps, widgets, a clean workspace, and no squeaks/rattles behind the drivers seat.

TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #1387
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Finally got around to removing the front TV and replacing with something more useful. Now I have a handy place for guidebooks, maps, widgets, a clean workspace, and no squeaks/rattles behind the drivers seat.

Same bin, except mine is white, that replaced my rear TV. My front TV is on a swing-down mount so that we can watch it comfortably from the second-row seats.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #1388
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
There are a few folks in San Luis Obispo County with AI's but I don't have their contact information. I have two chrome towel bars that fit over the tops of the upper cabinet doors. They work as if they were designed for AI's. I kept them back when I traded in my Airstream on my new Unity but unfortunately they wont fit the Unity uppers. First one that speaks up can have them, FREE. If you go to Amazon, look up:

InterDesign Axis Over-the-Cabinet Kitchen Dish Towel Bar Holder - 9", Chrome

I'm not interested in packaging them to ship.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180630_164722.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	315637  
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #1389
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
There are a few folks in San Luis Obispo County with AI's but I don't have their contact information. I have two chrome towel bars that fit over the tops of the upper cabinet doors. They work as if they were designed for AI's. I kept them back when I traded in my Airstream on my new Unity but unfortunately they wont fit the Unity uppers. First one that speaks up can have them, FREE. If you go to Amazon, look up:

InterDesign Axis Over-the-Cabinet Kitchen Dish Towel Bar Holder - 9", Chrome

I'm not interested in packaging them to ship.

I live south of you and am driving up to San Francisco in a few weeks. If they are still available I'd be happy to stop by. Thanks, Roger
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #1390
Contributing Member

I just bought 2 of these towel bars on Amazon. Put them on the cabinets this morning. They look great and it is nice to have a place for the dish towel and dish cloth.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #1391
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
I live south of you and am driving up to San Francisco in a few weeks. If they are still available I'd be happy to stop by. Thanks, Roger
Sure, contact me when you're enroute. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere convenient.
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #1392
2 Rivet Member

Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Same bin, except mine is white, that replaced my rear TV. My front TV is on a swing-down mount so that we can watch it comfortably from the second-row seats.
This is an amazing add on as I am going to remove both TV's. Is this from Container Store? And how did you mount it without messing with too much?
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #1393
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
This is an amazing add on as I am going to remove both TV's. Is this from Container Store? And how did you mount it without messing with too much?
I found it at Staples. They had it in black and white.

I used one of the bolts that held the TV mount in the original top-left hole, the one closest to the aisle. The bolt fitted easily through the grommet on the mag holder. I drilled a tight-fitting hole in the plywood for the other top bolt and screwed it carefully into the wall. I just needed to be careful to not strip out the hole.

At the bottom of the magazine holder, I put a short piece of double-sided mounting tape near each lower corner. It has held up fine for over a year, now.

I ended up with just one very small screw hole that was not hidden. That hole is above the magazine holder and barely noticeable. Some day I will fill it in.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #1394
Contributing Member

I use the high-strength double-sided mounting tape a lot. I always wipe down the surfaces with alcohol before applying the tape. Amazing how strong it is.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #1395
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Office Depot. The series of products is branded "Jane's". You can make up your own arrangement from different modules.

Used double sided 3M VHB tape.

There were 4 small screw holes left behind the TV, the organizer completely covers them. I just left them as-is.

There is a grommet hole in the pantry wall where the TV power & signal cables are routed. We pushed the cables back into the pantry and coiled them up. We left the grommet hold as-is. It's visible, but we are not picky.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #1396
Contributing Member

My rear TV Replacement

Nice to look at and fills a definite need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180706_105657.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	316161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_105825.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	316162  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #1397
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If it were me (and I realize it's not), I would fill that entire area with a magnetic organizer board. That way you could have the larger office unit as shown (just mount magnets on the back), but you could also organize other stuff on it as well, such as shallower baskets and whatnot, for small loose items that you wouldn't want disappearing into the bottom of those deeper bins.

I turned the area behind the driver's seat into just such a contraption. This is a very early photo which does not show the full range of stuff placed there now.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #1398
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
IB - I think that organizer is very impressive. At the top, are those small magnetic containers for things like paper clips, etc? Did you get a commercial board and cut to shape?

I'm currently in the internal debate on whether to remove one or both TVs. With a couple of MacBook Pros and iPads & phones I think we have enough screen real estate already. DVD's can be easily ripped and stored on drives...

TIA

-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #1399
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If it were me (and I realize it's not), I would fill that entire area with a magnetic organizer board. ...
Are you concerned that those magnets or things they hold might be dangerous in a front-end collision?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #1400
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I am recalling a news story of a lady who sustained an unusual traumatic brain injury in an auto accident and it took the medical crew a while to figure out what probably happened.

She had gotten groceries which included a frozen turkey, and had stored them in her back seat for the drive home. They figured the turkey became airborne upon contact with the other vehicle and nailed her in the back of the head. She survived, but was severely disabled.

I don't worry too much about that kind of thing with this board, as my items are generally small. The largest item on there right now is our danged smoke detector which reliably goes off uninvited no matter where else we put it in the van (and it still goes off routinely behind the driver's seat). But I don't have it stored directly behind my head.

One of these days, I'll take a better pic of the many uses that thing can offer. But for now, here is the link to my original blog post with fabrication instructions. I do recommend getting a thicker piece of steel than what we used. It's on my to-do list to replace that thing with a better sheet.