Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Overhead console enclosure/Audio system input

On the 2012 Interstate (and other years), there is a rectangular enclosure in the front overhead console, above the interior cab lights/glasses holder. It has a grey plastic cover plate. Inside, there is a four conductor connector.
I haven't seen a thread on this or a picture with something in this special enclosure.
Is this for a video/audio device, a CB radio, camera, or what?
I want to connect our portable XM radio to the audio system (Kenwood DNX7180) which has an audio input. I just can't find where to connect my XM radio to that Kenwood audio input. The RCA connectors in the large front overhead compartment connect to the front TV. We can listen to the XM through that TV, but the TV shuts off every 15 minutes.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
vagem55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Airforums.

I noticed the wires in there when I pulled the cover to see if it would work for CD storage but didn't determine what they were.

Why does the TV shut off every 15 minutes?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagem55 View Post
On the 2012 Interstate (and other years), there is a rectangular enclosure in the front overhead console, above the interior cab lights/glasses holder. It has a grey plastic cover plate. Inside, there is a four conductor connector.
I haven't seen a thread on this or a picture with something in this special enclosure.
Is this for a video/audio device, a CB radio, camera, or what?
I want to connect our portable XM radio to the audio system (Kenwood DNX7180) which has an audio input. I just can't find where to connect my XM radio to that Kenwood audio input. The RCA connectors in the large front overhead compartment connect to the front TV. We can listen to the XM through that TV, but the TV shuts off every 15 minutes.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
That overhead enclosure is for equipment like a CB radio. The attached file has some details on the connector.

For hooking your portable XM radio to the Kenwood head unit you need to get to the Kenwood's AV input. Do you have the Aux input cables in your glove box? On my 2013 this cable uses the AV input, but mine only has the older iPhone and USB connectors. Depending on your set-up you may need to pull the head unit to get to the connectors on back of the unit.

You can get the manuals with details at this Kenwood web site. The quick start manual has the details on connectors built into back of unit.
http://manual.kenwood.com/en_contents/search/keyword

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprinter - Equipment Book FF8 page 120.pdf (5.3 KB, 82 views)
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]That overhead enclosure is for equipment like a CB radio. The attached file has some details on the connector.
However, I have yet to find a CB radio that will fit. That enclosure might make a good place to install an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system, though…
Old 06-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
The attached file has some details on the connector.

My computer is not feeling the love for this file. Two blank pages w/ an error message on the 2nd page.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
My computer is not feeling the love for this file. Two blank pages w/ an error message on the 2nd page.
I uploaded the wrong file -- my computer was giving me no love today.

Here is the right file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprinter - Storage Slot under roof liner.pdf (287.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I would love to open it. How is it attached? Velcro? And how did you "pull" it. No room around mine to get something behind the edges.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I would love to open it. How is it attached? Velcro? And how did you "pull" it. No room around mine to get something behind the edges.
It just snaps in. Use a pocketknife blade to pry it open around the edges.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
It's the size of a single-din head unit so the possibilities are many. I put a DVD/digital media player with an 8" screen and powered it from a house battery lead found above the front headliner. It gives the second row passengers a separate entertainment option as I placed the speakers favorably towards the second row.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Boxster1971, thank you for that information. I assumed it was for a CB radio, thought the red was probably power (don't have my VOM on this trip), and hoped the others might go to the speakers.
Where did you get this information, and do you have a link to the full document? The information I could Google was severely lacking.
I saw the connections in the Kenwood document that came with my unit. I only have the Apple connections in my glove box. I had a problem with the head unit not coming on, but it started again as I was going to the dealer for repair, so they said they couldn't do anything. I paid to have it pulled and the tech confirmed the A/V input was connected. I just don't know where the connected wires go.
I am hesitant to mess with it myself, though I have the skill. At that time, it was under factory warranty and now it is under extended warranty.
I did try to pull the head unit with the special tools and got nowhere. The tech told me he had to remove the trim and unbolt the unit. I'm not sure how he removed the trim and sure don't want to mess anything up and have them void my warranty.
73Shark, as for the 15 minutes and shut off, I assume the TV shuts off every 15 minutes (we timed it) because it isn't getting any video input, so it must think there is no signal and it times out. My wife had to reach back and turn it on as we're traveling, or I do it with the remote if we're stopped. Besides the PITA, it would be nice to have the nice sound/volume control/rear speakers of the audio system rather than the TV.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
... Where did you get this information, and do you have a link to the full document? The information I could Google was severely lacking.
I saw the connections in the Kenwood document that came with my unit. I only have the Apple connections in my glove box. I had a problem with the head unit not coming on, but it started again as I was going to the dealer for repair, so they said they couldn't do anything. I paid to have it pulled and the tech confirmed the A/V input was connected. I just don't know where the connected wires go.
I am hesitant to mess with it myself, though I have the skill. At that time, it was under factory warranty and now it is under extended warranty.
I did try to pull the head unit with the special tools and got nowhere. The tech told me he had to remove the trim and unbolt the unit. I'm not sure how he removed the trim and sure don't want to mess anything up and have them void my warranty.
73Shark, as for the 15 minutes and shut off, I assume the TV shuts off every 15 minutes (we timed it) because it isn't getting any video input, so it must think there is no signal and it times out. My wife had to reach back and turn it on as we're traveling, or I do it with the remote if we're stopped. Besides the PITA, it would be nice to have the nice sound/volume control/rear speakers of the audio system rather than the TV.

I collect all the Sprinter tech data I can find. Even older documents are fairly accurate as the basic design of current Sprinter has not changed much since 2008. You can read about Sprinter history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

The page I posted came from the 2011 Sprinter Equipment Book (2 volumes) uploaded by a poster on the Sprinter-Source forum, her is link:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16289

I tried to extract just the single page but the document is locked and can only be viewed and printed since it is an official M-B document. So I scanned it from a printed page - thus the poor quality.

To help get your XM radio connected to the Kenwood AV input I need to know what specific portable XM radio you are using and what connections are available on that radio. It may be possible to get an adapter set-up that will work.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
It's the size of a single-din head unit so the possibilities are many. I put a DVD/digital media player with an 8" screen and powered it from a house battery lead found above the front headliner. It gives the second row passengers a separate entertainment option as I placed the speakers favorably towards the second row.
Now THAT would be a great place for your rearview camera monitor, so that you can have both an inside rearview mirror AND a rearview camera!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Now THAT would be a great place for your rearview camera monitor, so that you can have both an inside rearview mirror AND a rearview camera!
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Other than keeping an eye on the miscreants in the back, a rear view mirror isn't of much use due to the high placement of the rear windows. I use the mirror on my sunvisor for keeping the young ones under control.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
I collect all the Sprinter tech data I can find. Even older documents are fairly accurate as the basic design of current Sprinter has not changed much since 2008. You can read about Sprinter history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

The page I posted came from the 2011 Sprinter Equipment Book (2 volumes) uploaded by a poster on the Sprinter-Source forum, her is link:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16289

I tried to extract just the single page but the document is locked and can only be viewed and printed since it is an official M-B document. So I scanned it from a printed page - thus the poor quality.

To help get your XM radio connected to the Kenwood AV input I need to know what specific portable XM radio you are using and what connections are available on that radio. It may be possible to get an adapter set-up that will work.
Thanks again Boxster1971. The Pioneer Inno has a mini-stereo headphone jack and comes with an adapter to convert that output to the standard RCA plugs (red, white). That's how I'm now connecting it to the A/V input RCA connections in the large overhead console above the cab, forward of the front TV. I had hoped those connections went to the head unit, but they go to the TV, obviously for your satellite receiver, as the antenna input is also there.
If the tech who pulled the head unit was correct, and the A/V input cables from the Kenwood adapter are connected to another cable, I wish I knew where that other cable terminated.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
If the tech who pulled the head unit was correct, and the A/V input cables from the Kenwood adapter are connected to another cable, I wish I knew where that other cable terminated.
Normally Airstream installs a Kenwood KAC-iP202 adapter cable to the AV and USB inputs. It should be in the glove box in front of passenger seat. If it's not there maybe it got shoved behind the glove box -- you could look there.

I've attached a photo of mine and a copy of the connections from Kenwood manual. If you have this cable adapter installed it's an easy step to get an adapter so you can plug the headphone jack on your Pioneer Inno into the iPod connector going to Kenwood unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KCA-iP202 Adapter photo s.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	213978  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KCA-iP202 connections.pdf (32.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I use the mirror on my sunvisor for keeping the young ones under control.
I use the steering wheel and gas and brake pedals to keep the young ones in the back under control.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Normally Airstream installs a Kenwood KAC-iP202 adapter cable to the AV and USB inputs. It should be in the glove box in front of passenger seat. If it's not there maybe it got shoved behind the glove box -- you could look there.

I've attached a photo of mine and a copy of the connections from Kenwood manual. If you have this cable adapter installed it's an easy step to get an adapter so you can plug the headphone jack on your Pioneer Inno into the iPod connector going to Kenwood unit.

Oops - meant to say it was a KCA-iP202 adapter cable.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:

Thanks. Mine has the USB and iPod connector, but I thought that may need to see some of the other control signals for the iPod input (i.e. viewing music files to select). Sorry, I'm not an Apple guy.
The USB on my Inno is for loading software updates, not outputs.

I had hoped to find where the A/V input cables from the head unit were attached to, but I'll try purchasing a 3.5mm to iPod cable as you advised.

As a side note, do you know if the built-in Sirius antenna is connectable or adaptable to the XM portable radio input? FWIW, I got an XM XExpressEZ and the connector and antenna are the same.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks. Mine has the USB and iPod connector, but I thought that may need to see some of the other control signals for the iPod input (i.e. viewing music files to select). Sorry, I'm not an Apple guy.
The USB on my Inno is for loading software updates, not outputs.

I had hoped to find where the A/V input cables from the head unit were attached to, but I'll try purchasing a 3.5mm to iPod cable as you advised.

There are several adapters that should work. I'm thinking of getting on myself so I can plug in my other MP3 players into the iPod connector provided by Airstream. I've read lots of reviews on these adapters and they all seem to have some issues in vehicles. So you can go two ways

1. Buy this cheap item from Amazon and hope it works.
Amazon.com : Audio iPod iPhone input converter to regular MP3 plug - iPod Iphone Female End to 3.5mm Male plug cable : MP3 Players & Accessories

2. Buy this more expensive item with better odds that it might work.
Amazon.com: CableJive dockBoss: Instantly upgrade your audio dock. Connect iPhone or Android smartphones and tablets to a pre-iPhone 5 audio dock. Compatible with Bose SoundDock, iHome, JBL, and many other popular audio docks.: Cell Phones & Accessor

Either way Amazon's return policy will allow you to return either if they don't work.

Enjoy,