Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
HELP! Accidentally putting E-85 instead of diesel in AI

I accidentally put E-5 instead of diesel into my 2012 AI. I was tired and the pump was a green color. So it didn't occur to me that it wasn't diesel. Tow operator says that if you had driven with the E-5 fuel, the Mercedes Sprinter will be ruined and cost a lot of money. It may even be totaled. Help!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Call your local dealership ASAP. They will know the proper procedures.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Agh!!!!

Do not start the engine for any reason or you will ruin it! Push or tow it away from the fuel pump.

The tank will have to be drained of the contaminated fuel. It will likely need to be towed to a MB dealership or other competent mechanic to accomplish this.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I did the same thing last year while in Idaho. I had the good sense not to start it and was towed to Wally's garage where they pumped out my tank, put in 5 gallons of diesel and I was good to go. It ended up costing me 3 hours of time, a full tank of gas and $50 in labor. The tow was on a flat bed courtesy of my AAA card. Oh, and a $20 tip for the tow driver for hooking we up with Wally's.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Ok calm down, the diesel engine is a lot tougher than you give it credit for. I ran into a guy that did the same thing and he started it before realizing his mistake. Granted this was in an F-250, but the dealer drained the tank and flushed the lines and the truck was just fine. Its a costly mistake but your coach will be back on the road tomorrow. There really needs to be some consistency in pump handle colors IMO. GL and let us know all is well.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
BP is the main offender that I've found on putting green handles on their gas pumps.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
HELP! Accidentally putting E-85 instead of diesel in AI

Drain (most) all of the fuel and replace it with diesel flush the lines, change the filter, and all will be fine.

The water separator will mistake it as water and cut the fuel before engine damage.

I had an employee do this to a Duramax two weeks ago, he then drove the truck until it would run no more.... It was running fine the afternoon of the same day.

Unfortunately, this was not the first time this happened to this truck.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
"Unfortunately, this was not the first time this happened to this truck."

Job security... LOL
Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Thanks everyone for your advice. Sadly, I did drive it a short distance from gas station to entrance onto freeway and just into freeway. But pulled over quickly when I noticed the weird jumpiness of car. I also. Tried turning engine over three times, including once when coach net asked me to and when highway patrol. . It was towed by flatbed to Keys European cars in Van Nuys who are authorized sprinter dealers and repair. Anyone heard of them? I live in Bay Area and considering towing by flatbed up there because I'm know the repair shops and if any problems I can take easily. Your thoughts?

roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Used to work at MB dealership, happens all the time. All will be well.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did it to my Dodge Ram. Drove it about 20 miles. Had it towed to a Dodge dealer. They replaced both fuel pumps. Cost $7500. Truck has been fine for another 65000 miles so far.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
"Unfortunately, this was not the first time this happened to this truck."

Job security... LOL

Lol, yea.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thankfully my salesman told me a story about a person driving through that used a BP station and filled up with gasoline. Now there are two things I check before I put the nozzle in. One is to make sure its diesel fuel and second is to make sure it's not biodiesel. I know Mercedes says 5% or less is OK but all my small engine yard tools say that 10% ethanol is OK and they all have had carburetor problems. Switched to alcohol free gas and no longer have carburetor problems. Coincidence? I think not.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. Sadly, I did drive it a short distance from gas station to entrance onto freeway and just into freeway. But pulled over quickly when I noticed the weird jumpiness of car. I also. Tried turning engine over three times, including once when coach net asked me to and when highway patrol. . It was towed by flatbed to Keys European cars in Van Nuys who are authorized sprinter dealers and repair. Anyone heard of them? I live in Bay Area and considering towing by flatbed up there because I'm know the repair shops and if any problems I can take easily. Your thoughts?

The cost of transporting your AI to the bay area could be cost prohibitive. If like bill said in his post it will cost $7500 to fix it in Van Nuys then shipping might be an option. Remember they need to give you an estimate, you decide how much and what they are authorized to do. I would get the lines flushed and tank drained and see how things go. This only cost you time and a few materials. No matter what, this needs to be done either here or at home. Once that is done then running the engine will either work or throw codes. If the pump(s) are shot then you can cross that bridge when you get there. One step at a time. Keep us in the loop.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Call your insurance company

I just read a blog post with a similar story:

Putting Regular Gas in a Diesel Vehicle | Camper Chronicles

The upshot is that your insurance company will likely cover it under "accidental fuel contamination."
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Do you suppose that it is just a coincidence that the dealer has a $9,000 solution to a problem that I have gotten out of for about $200 plus towing three times now?

Sorry about my skepticism, SOMETIMES "the experts" are all about making a buck....

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
A costly fix it can be, my repair bill was over $1500.00 on my RAM ecodiesel. After filling up with DIESEL as I usually do, I drove home, Later that day as I pulled out of my driveway the truck had almost no power & the valves were clanging. Towed to the dealer it was determined that the fuel I got was contaminated and the repairs not covered under warranty so I filed an insurance claim & only had to pay my deductible of $250.00. Allstate is investigating the cause. What I did learn was that even if I had put gasoline in or mixed it with the diesel my insurance would still cover the repairs under the comprehensive part of my policy.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Whatever you do, do not start your motor!! Tow your vehicle to the dealer ASAP.

1) Fuel tank will hafta be removed and thoroughly drained.

2) Fuel tank should be sent to a radiator shop for professional cleaning.

3) Whether you started the engine or not, fuel lines should also be thoroughly drained.

4) Replace fuel filter(s).

This is not the time to take short-cuts. If there was ever a time to be thorough, this would be it. Leave no stone unturned.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #19
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Somewhat on the subject they need to get rid of this bio fuel nonsense. Serves no purpose other putting money into someones pocket and just confuses the consumer. Getting fuel use to be a no brainer now we all have to take a double look at the pump to make sure what we are getting is what we want.

Hopefully no damage done.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Been there done that!

I, too, was a victim of momentary inattentiveness due to haste combined with the BP infamous green "branding" on their gasolibe handles. BP uses black handles for their diesel. I learned this from the blogs that are filled with exchanges between BP and unwary consumers. Yes, a standard should be in place. That is routine in most industries regarding safety issues. And being stuck on the freeway is a safety issue.

After putting gasoline in my Jetta Sportswagen TDI I drove for about 4-5 miles onto I-95 in SC and I then felt a sudden engine miss. I stopped immediately and checked my fuel receipt. My heart sunk when it read "Reg" fuel.

I called AAA and was towed on a flatbed 100 mikes to the VW dealer in Fayetteville, NC. They drained the tanks and lines and inspected the injectors, compressor, etc. they said I averted a likely $8 - $10,000 repair bill because I stopped immediately. They said there was enough undiluted diesel in the fuel lines and system to get me the distance I drove, but after that I would certainly have done major damage. Good news: the car is still in great shape after another 50,000+ miles (despite the current VW defeat fiasco).

I now take even more care when fueling my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel. And my wife and I now are quite deliberate in our language concerning the difference between the words "fuel" vs. "gas" as a frequent reminder.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote