Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Good Mechanic in Orange County CA?

I am wondering if any of you know a good Sprinter and or RV mechanic in OC? Doesn’t necessarily have to be the same person. I have a 2012 AI and there are a number of issues with varying degrees of complexity I need worked on including: engine light came on and went into limp mode (the most important issue), alternator not charging house battery (tho solar does charge it), persistent beeping coming from around sliding door area only when driving, microwave doesn’t work (maybe a coincidence but it stopped working after the kitchen sink flooded), and I would like to do general maintenance such as onan oil change. The Mercedes dealership near me is always booked way in advance. Many thanks for your ideas.
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
When I owned a Mercedes 300SD, I had good luck with Haydon Brothers in Anaheim http://haydonbros.com/

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
I am wondering if any of you know a good Sprinter and or RV mechanic in OC? Doesn’t necessarily have to be the same person. I have a 2012 AI and there are a number of issues with varying degrees of complexity I need worked on including: engine light came on and went into limp mode (the most important issue), alternator not charging house battery (tho solar does charge it), persistent beeping coming from around sliding door area only when driving, microwave doesn’t work (maybe a coincidence but it stopped working after the kitchen sink flooded), and I would like to do general maintenance such as onan oil change. The Mercedes dealership near me is always booked way in advance. Many thanks for your ideas.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Your profile shows Las Vegas but asking about OC shops. Were you talking about Fletcher Jones in LV or dealer close to you in OC? I have used FJ LV for my sedans but do not know how booked they are in their newly established Sprinter division. Airstream LV at Russell is fairly new also (1yr), my unit is currently there for warranty work. No other info on how busy they are. Van City (previous AS dealer before AS LV opened) has been around awhile. I know & have worked with a few of their mechanics who are very knowledgeable with the Class B "house" systems. So if you still spend time in LV, might want to check them out if they can work with your needs.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
The persistent beeping from around the sliding door is generally indicative of either an extended step or an awning which is not fully retracted. The beeper is located behind the small plastic storage compartment with the bungee type bands located to the left of the step.

Had an awning issue on a long trip, and after securing the awning with duct tape and Velcro straps, I removed the beeper from the socket it was plugged into for my wife’s sanity until I could effect a repair to the awning. Both the awning and the step are on the same circuit for the purpose of the beeper.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
In SOUTH ORANGE county, I have found reliable fair priced service at Elite Sprinter, for the Mercedes services. It is located in Laguna Niguel right off the I-5. I use Toms Trailers in San Clemente for Airstream house needs. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Me BAD. The RV repair is RICKS TRAILERS, the owner is Tom. Sorry for confusion
AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Thanks so much for the tip. I will look into this. It will be a welcome relief for my wife whose hearing is better than mine.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Your profile shows Las Vegas but asking about OC shops. Were you talking about Fletcher Jones in LV or dealer close to you in OC? I have used FJ LV for my sedans but do not know how booked they are in their newly established Sprinter division. Airstream LV at Russell is fairly new also (1yr), my unit is currently there for warranty work. No other info on how busy they are. Van City (previous AS dealer before AS LV opened) has been around awhile. I know & have worked with a few of their mechanics who are very knowledgeable with the Class B "house" systems. So if you still spend time in LV, might want to check them out if they can work with your needs.

The vehicle is in Orange County now but appreciate the tips on Vegas since we are often there.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
In SOUTH ORANGE county, I have found reliable fair priced service at Elite Sprinter, for the Mercedes services. It is located in Laguna Niguel right off the I-5. I use Toms Trailers in San Clemente for Airstream house needs. AEW

Really appreciate these referrals. Reliable and fair priced seems mutually exclusive in a lot of shops these days. I will look these folks up.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Since posting I have been to a few places for work. Here’s some feedback - hopefully useful to someone in the future.

Laguna Mercedes - replaced driver airbag under warranty. Good work. Dealer prices.

Elite Sprinter (Laguna) - tried to use scare tactics to upsell me on unnecessary work.

Fix My Sprinter (Gardena) - Oil change. Claims to use Mobil 1ESP but actually uses the cheap no name brands. They are a busy shop but not an honest one.

In other words, the search continues for an good & honest Sprinter mechanic in So Cal who doesn’t charge dealer prices.