Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Glow plug controller

We have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has the same Mercedes 3L CRD diesel engine as the Sprinters. I had to have the glow plug controller relay changed the other day because the Jeep would not start at -20C, an I had a CEL.
I add diesel conditioner every time we gas up when weather is below freezing otherwise she no go! When the weather gets chilly we also plug in an hour or so before travel and keep her out of the wind (wind chill can be below-40 around here). The other thing we do sometimes in real cold weather is double glow plug, turn key to run until glow plug light goes off, turn off key, turn on to run again until glow plug light goes off, then start vehicle. Works like a charm usually, learned this on an old VW diesel from a diesel mechanic.
I agree with wayneskid and protagonist, I am not sure 73shark has a problem, if his glow plug indicator is going on and off as he describes this seems normal. It sounds to me that 73shark wants his glowplug indicator coil light to stay ON, but it shouldn't. 13 degrees Fahrenheit could cause some difficulty starting for any unconditioned diesel that isn't run a lot in the winter. IMHO

flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks to all for all of the inputs. When the dealer gets a battery isolation manager in (mine appears to be bad as the relay clicks continuously any time the solar panel is charging, even when on shore power), I'll have them explain it also and see if there's a consensus.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A remote-starter doesn't know how long to let the glow plugs do their things before starting the vehicle.
I believe at least some models can be programmed/wired to check that. I'll find out more tonight - we're having a remote start installed on our diesel F-250, and I was careful to mention it was a diesel when I set up the appointment.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I believe at least some models can be programmed/wired to check that. I'll find out more tonight - we're having a remote start installed on our diesel F-250, and I was careful to mention it was a diesel when I set up the appointment.
Your right some have a programmable timer to wait for the glow plugs and some can be wired to the light for the glow plugs so that when the light goes out it tries to start.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Yep. That's why I didn't spring for the remote-start module that went with my aftermarket Viper alarm system. A remote-starter doesn't know how long to let the glow plugs do their things before starting the vehicle.

I had a Clifford alarm/remote start and it was programed to alow for glow plug warm up and also to allow for a 3 minute cool down; this was on my 2002 7.3 F-350. The Clifford is made by the same company as Viper so I am sure you could have had your Viper programed for glow plug warm up on a remote start.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Your right some have a programmable timer to wait for the glow plugs and some can be wired to the light for the glow plugs so that when the light goes out it tries to start.
Yeah. Honestly, the guy seemed more concerned about whether the truck had a transponder in the key (and thus needed more parts) than whether it was a diesel. I should have it back Thursday...can't wait to see how it works.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
We work on Sprinters every day and have yet to see one with a failed glow plug that didn't set the check engine light. Coolant temp is a major input as to how long they stay glowing. Surprisinly even with a few dead glow plugs they will fire up with a few extra revolutions of the engine on a cold frosty morning.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
We work on Sprinters every day and have yet to see one with a failed glow plug that didn't set the check engine light. Coolant temp is a major input as to how long they stay glowing. Surprisinly even with a few dead glow plugs they will fire up with a few extra revolutions of the engine on a cold frosty morning.

Vinnie
So do you know how low the coolant temperature has to be to get the glow plugs to turn on?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I will look up the specs in WIS tomorrow and post.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah. Honestly, the guy seemed more concerned about whether the truck had a transponder in the key (and thus needed more parts) than whether it was a diesel.
This brings up something I found out the hard way: My new Honda Fit has an RFID chip in the key. So does my Airstream Interstate. I have to keep the keys on two separate keyrings. With both keys on one keyring, the chip reader in the ignition of my Honda locked me out, because it was reading both RFID chips and mistakenly believed that the wrong key was inserted. Once that happened in the Honda, I didn't try again to see if it would happen in the Interstate. Chances are it world. So, separate keyrings for each vehicle.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
This brings up something I found out the hard way: My new Honda Fit has an RFID chip in the key. So does my Airstream Interstate. I have to keep the keys on two separate keyrings. With both keys on one keyring, the chip reader in the ignition of my Honda locked me out, because it was reading both RFID chips and mistakenly believed that the wrong key was inserted. Once that happened in the Honda, I didn't try again to see if it would happen in the Interstate. Chances are it world. So, separate keyrings for each vehicle.
Ugh. I generally keep my keys on separate rings anyway (on the grounds that it's a lot in my pocket, and I'm not driving both at the same time), but I can see that being pretty annoying.

BTW, the remote start on the truck works perfectly. After I tell it to start, it turns on the parking lights, waits for the glow plug light to turn off, then hits the starter.