Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We work on Sprinters every day and have yet to see one with a failed glow plug that didn't set the check engine light. Coolant temp is a major input as to how long they stay glowing. Surprisinly even with a few dead glow plugs they will fire up with a few extra revolutions of the engine on a cold frosty morning.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
We work on Sprinters every day and have yet to see one with a failed glow plug that didn't set the check engine light. Coolant temp is a major input as to how long they stay glowing. Surprisinly even with a few dead glow plugs they will fire up with a few extra revolutions of the engine on a cold frosty morning.

Vinnie
So do you know how low the coolant temperature has to be to get the glow plugs to turn on?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I will look up the specs in WIS tomorrow and post.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah. Honestly, the guy seemed more concerned about whether the truck had a transponder in the key (and thus needed more parts) than whether it was a diesel.
This brings up something I found out the hard way: My new Honda Fit has an RFID chip in the key. So does my Airstream Interstate. I have to keep the keys on two separate keyrings. With both keys on one keyring, the chip reader in the ignition of my Honda locked me out, because it was reading both RFID chips and mistakenly believed that the wrong key was inserted. Once that happened in the Honda, I didn't try again to see if it would happen in the Interstate. Chances are it world. So, separate keyrings for each vehicle.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This brings up something I found out the hard way: My new Honda Fit has an RFID chip in the key. So does my Airstream Interstate. I have to keep the keys on two separate keyrings. With both keys on one keyring, the chip reader in the ignition of my Honda locked me out, because it was reading both RFID chips and mistakenly believed that the wrong key was inserted. Once that happened in the Honda, I didn't try again to see if it would happen in the Interstate. Chances are it world. So, separate keyrings for each vehicle.
Ugh. I generally keep my keys on separate rings anyway (on the grounds that it's a lot in my pocket, and I'm not driving both at the same time), but I can see that being pretty annoying.

BTW, the remote start on the truck works perfectly. After I tell it to start, it turns on the parking lights, waits for the glow plug light to turn off, then hits the starter.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote