Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
But it's very easy for a buyer to interpret that they ARE advertising something quite close to that.

"...wherever the road takes you, you’ll travel in total style and comfort" is what Airstream explicitly says about the Interstate.

They do NOT say, "...wherever the road takes you, you’ll travel in total style and comfort *AS LONG AS* you drive quickly from one stinky plywood-box-overrun, sardine-can campground hook-up to the next." They don't say anything remotely like that. They say WHEREVER. With those kinds of statements, they paint a convincing picture which arguably does not match reality.
A
OP, just for your perspective, this is a long-running point of contention on this forum, and posters can be counted on to fall reliably into two camps (pun intended) based on their personal interpretations as to how far they think advertising should go.

When people post reality-check threads such as you have done here, it resonates with me. I have sympathy for such posters because I identify so strongly with them. My husband and I are rumored to be smart people (he's a licensed mechanical engineer who helps space ships to fly; I've got a Master's degree in science and I run my own consultancy selling intellectual services for a living). We knew to expect some degree of sales pitch, but we didn't consciously realize how much pitch we'd unquestioning fallen for, when we bought our Interstate. We didn't expect the thing to take us to the Moon and stars and back, but we DID expect to be able to park in a national forest area and not have its battery go tango uniform within 24 hours. Our bad - that misperception was on us. But I feel for other people who make similar discoveries about their own rigs. We've been there.
We can disagree here, and see this from different perspectives.

I did a post on this thread, because of complaints about how quickly things run down without electricity.

I think accepting reality, rather than spinning in frustration because something is not what you want it nor can it be, is a good thing, and a needed goal to be a happy owner.

I also think some people purchase an illusion, a dream, without knowing beforehand whether their purchase can actually deliver said dream. While I empathize with their frustration when expectations are not met, adjusting to what is realistic might improve their experience.

Our older rigs, IB, in my experience and from all reports, do much better and for much longer overall without electricity than the newer, all electric ones.

Our batteries, carefully used, should not run down in 24 hours, and mine has never, but our hot water heater, frig and furnace run off propane when not connected to electricity...unlike the newer, all battery, all the time ones.

It also seems that some extrapolation occurs, from going wherever you want to go to being able to be without hookups for days in extreme temperatures. Rethinking this would be helpful.

I like to see fellow Interstate owners comfortable and working within the limitations of their rigs, rather than frustrated and upset because it cannot do what it was never intended nor advertised to.

You’re a scientist, I’m a career social worker, and also highly intelligent ...we look at this differently, but ultimately I believe both want the same thing...for our fellow travelers to enjoy their rigs.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Reading this thread and asking the question... Is there a better alternative to the AI?

Are we talking Advaced-Rv at a higher cost?

Seriously, what other, better, alternatives in this package (ClassB) are really better options? or provide better capabilities to stay off-grid?

We are too newbies to know... and have not done any boon-docking. And I will be the first to admit not doing enough research before jumping into the AI we bought...

We are happy with it so far. But again, have not really put it to the test in all aspects...

This is my first RV also. But, I have been sailing long distance for years and I know about being self-sufficient.

I just finished a 1.5 week trip with no shore power connections. The 2018 AI Tommy Bahama GT, in stock form, is barely marginal, energy wise. It definitely needs a MPPT solar controller, more house batteries, and better battery combiner. More solar is never a bad thing. Also, the generator needs a lot of insulation to make it bearable. It would be nice if it had a convection microwave and an inverter/batteries large enough to run it.

All of these things are easily fixable and I am collecting the parts to do the modifications. Wachuko, you have made most of these changes already and you should be good to go. I am following your lead!

As with anything electrical/mechanical, one must be able to troubleshoot and fix things on the road. With an RV this is much easier than being on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

Overall, I am happy with the AI. Then again, this is my first RV.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Agree...purchased new with no mods and it is best with electric hookup. You have to watch things so closely without it. I know a lot of people are able and do their own modifications, but I wonder where would you get all that done if you need to pay someone to do it. Any RV service center, JC, ohio?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think the OP's expectations were realistic. Traveling into those conditions and not knowing the capabilities of the van resulted in a nasty "surprise", and that's unfortunate. Parking in conditions like that require shore power to keep the A/C on 24/7, and that's going to be true with pretty much any B van out there except one (that I know of), and that's the AdvancedRV w/ Volta 48v electrical system. Their system can run the A/C for about 8hrs, then recharge the batteries from the engine in about 1hr, rinse and repeat. With an auto engine start, you're good as long as you have diesel.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I was just posting my experience. I knew what I was buying. I am not a "rough it" person. I'm most happy at a campground with hook ups and a full shower. My first big trip in the AI got off to a late start to Texas hill country to visit family I hadn't seen in a while. I forewarned my family that I'd pay for an electrician to put in a hook up because everyone lives in the country AND IT IS HOT! I decided to test the unit using the generator and then not at my brothers home since we were not able to get an electrician out there.So I pretty much now know its limitations. What I like about the forum is all the input, because I find everyone's comments so helpful. So I now have a pretty good idea about what to do if I decide to plan trips without a hookup...but generally I think I'll be looking for a campground!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I was just posting my experience.

Always good to share experiences so others can learn from them.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I was just posting my experience.
Thank you for sharing.

I too find the stock AI limiting and, I think, I know what I'm doing... With few feature improvements, and few behavior (mine) adjustments it can be very capable and usable. It's too bad that manufacturers don't put much thought (how it's going to be used) into their products. But hey, it keeps our minds busy and our wallets light.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Quote:
Reading this thread and asking the question... Is there a better alternative to the AI?

Are we talking Advaced-Rv at a higher cost?

Seriously, what other, better, alternatives in this package (ClassB) are really better options? or provide better capabilities to stay off-grid?

We are too newbies to know... and have not done any boon-docking. And I will be the first to admit not doing enough research before jumping into the AI we bought...

We are happy with it so far. But again, have not really put it to the test in all aspects...
This might not be the best forum to ask about other Class Bs. Go over and read the classb forum where they talk about most of the brands.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
There seems to be increasing buzz about the Travato. Personally I don't like the configuration, but for the price point, some people are concluding that it's the best among a number of flawed choices. I'm seeing this over and over again around the web.

On the other issue, remember that things are never all one way, or all the other way - the sweet spot is usually somewhere in the middle. There's an ethical question that intrudes on the "buyer beware" mandate. If someone wants to bake a killer souffle' and there's a $15.99 "As Seen On TV" kitchen widget being advertised as the be-all, end-all tool for guaranteeing success in that task, that line of bull is self-evident - it's easy for the buyer to do enough research to beware of it. In contrast, the $159,990 Interstate is a highly complex piece of machinery. It's an order of magnitude easier for people to be fooled (intentionally or accidentally) by sales representations on something so complicated. For that reason too, while I firmly adhere to the principle of "buyer beware", I also think that phone needs to ring both ways. The more complicated the item being delivered, the more transparent the seller should aspire to be regarding its functionality. This is Ethics 101.

Gosh knows I'd never survive in my line of business unless I was delivering exactly what my words and turns of phrase promised. If I say some work product of mine will perform as advertised "wherever", then it danged well WILL work "wherever". It's not going to be limited to working in just 25% of forecast scenarios.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There seems to be increasing buzz about the Travato. Personally I don't like the configuration, but for the price point, some people are concluding that it's the best among a number of flawed choices. I'm seeing this over and over again around the web...
I have seen a couple of videos on it, but all tanks are of smaller capacity...

Do not get me wrong, we love our AI... but I did not look hard enough at what was out there... we only looked at the Roadtrek... so now I want to see all options available...

Will have to try to attend an RV show...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
With few feature improvements, and few behavior (mine) adjustments it can be very capable and usable. It's too bad that manufacturers don't put much thought (how it's going to be used) into their products. But hey, it keeps our minds busy and our wallets light.
The AI demographic is interesting. The VP of Sales, who is now the COO, said that 50% of AI's are never slept in. They are used for long distance travel, from houses in the north to houses in the south and back again to avoid the winter weather. I don't know if other brands have a similar demographic, but that data point has to effect product planning and execution. It would be interesting to know how the other half uses them, but I'd bet only a single digit percentage spend more than a week "camping" in them, and of those, there's likely a single digit percentage that boondock.

Given their marketing of AI's being a "Touring Coach" (it even says so right in the drop down that lists the models), I think they've struck a balance between comfort and convenience while touring vs. making accommodations for people who want to camp in them. We might not all like that because we see where adding a something here or changing to a different thing there would make it more suitable for OUR use, but given the choices out there, I think the AI is a very good base from which to make some changes if a person is inclined to do that.

Another interesting data point re. AI buyers is they are typically first time RV buyers (again, this is data from the sales VP/COO). As such, they are likely to not know much about RV's or RV'ing, and therefore don't really know what to expect when they get "out there". Some find the AI to perfectly meet their needs and expectations. Others.....not so much. Live and learn. The good news for that latter group is AI's hold their value really well, so resale doesn't necessarily result in an eye-watering loss. With that experience under their belt, they can then go out and invest in something that better meets their needs (or modify the AI to better suit how, when, and where they intend to use it).

With that said, is the AI the best platform from which to "roll your own"? Probably not. You could spend a hell of a lot less on SOB and modify it exactly how you want for a lot less money, but newbies won't know this until they're already in it. Again....live and learn. IMO the important thing is to not be paralyzed by analysis and if you can, just get SOMETHING and get out there. As they say in the boating world, untie the lines. Start your journey. Begin the adventure. Just take that first step to make it happen.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We camp in our AI, but we do not "boondock" and have no intention of doing so. In 16 months of ownership and close to 11,000 miles, my AI has never spent a night without hookups. Our use is many Airstream rallies of 4 to 7 nights, yearly travel to far-away relatives homes, and occasional nights in local state parks. We have Alumapalooza coming up which will be 15 or 16 nights.

Our first AI night off hookups will be on the way to Alumapalooza. That is because there is no single night reservation available on the holiday weekend. We have an overnight-permitted Super Walmart picked out with a big truck stop close by just in case. One of these should work for us.

I have to disagree with InterBlog on facilities, in over 20 years of RVing, we have only experienced unsatisfactory parks a couple of times. I usually carefully plan the outbound trip and reserve sites depending on time of year. A dip in a pool is great after a day of driving. Returning, we mostly take pot luck. I plan on driving 300-325 miles a day and extend that as necessary; I plan a bit more if it is mostly interstate. No more than 65 with the Smart tagging on behind, except 70 if I need to pass.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
The AI demographic is interesting. The VP of Sales, who is now the COO, said that 50% of AI's are never slept in. They are used for long distance travel, from houses in the north to houses in the south and back again to avoid the winter weather. I don't know if other brands have a similar demographic, but that data point has to effect product planning and execution. It would be interesting to know how the other half uses them, but I'd bet only a single digit percentage spend more than a week "camping" in them, and of those, there's likely a single digit percentage that boondock.
I kinda fall outside that COO's demographic data. We sleep in our AI, but only plan to for 1 to 2 nights max. My wife falls in the 5-Star hotel demo and I fall in the 3-Star hotel is ok so long as no bugs. We both fall in the no-boondocking demo. No tents for us. We don't cook inside the AI but would cook outside. We will eat in a restaurant most of the time if one is close by. Will put up with A/C noise to keep inside cold. No intentions to go anywhere without full-hookups. All the solar, quieter gen, 2nd alternator, multi-banks of lithium won't do me any good, as I would only be using them to exercise them, so they don't deteriorate from non-use. BUT if offered on the AI, I would be forking out $$$$ to get them. As a techie, my only vice is to buy latest tech stuff. We use our AI as a people mover when not going "glamping". Without the AI, my wife flies 1st class all the time, even a 1hr flight. I hate airports, I hate flying, I love cars, I love driving, my threshold for considering flying is if facing a 20hr drive. The AI makes her look forward to the drive, having her tiny house behind her. It is a shallow attitude for me & wife to take, but travelling in style is our primary reason for buying the AI. Everything else is secondary
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
but the bugs are a whole nother story. My interstate is covered in bugs. Hope I'll be able to scrub them off soon.

You got here in love bug season. Use a Bounce dryer sheet, really soaked with water, and it will take the bugs off.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
... in over 20 years of RVing, we have only experienced unsatisfactory parks a couple of times. ...
We may have done different travels. In Texas, a large number of what are advertised as "RV parks" are really good old fashioned trailer parks (maybe it's that way everywhere?). There might be 100 permanent trailers in there (the aforesaid plywood boxes) with 6 spaces set aside for over-nighters passing through. Which means that the prevailing clientele tends to be better in the nearest Walmart parking lot.

I have always scheduled one hook-up reservation on my way out of the deep south en route to Canada in the summer, just in case there's a heat wave and I cannot bear the overnight temperature and need to run the a/c (it hasn't happened yet but I'm not taking any chances). When I last did this about 9 months ago, I had to grab a big stick and defend myself against a pack of feral dogs in front of the facility. One of the countermeasures I developed for that kind of scenario was to walk my own dog with a knife strapped to my left leg (Google "Mako Shark Dive Knife with Leg Strap Sheath" for a really good buy).
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Alex AVI

Honest description of yourselves and how you use your Interstate gives people a good understanding of the vast differences in syles and use patterns.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Lots of good dialog in this thread

The AI was our fist RV. We are in our 40's and I still plan on working for some time. My wife would fly first class and only do 5 stars if she wasn't so fruggle but because she is were are able to buy the things we want, etc.

I had always talked about getting an RV but I always pictured one of the big diesel pushers. When we sat down and talked about how we would use it:
Driving to family on holidays.
Driving to our condo in LA (lower Alabama)
Driving to our son's college in the fall
Carrying family around to local events.

The Class B became the winner (the wife also said she would ride around in a thing that looked like an RV).

We will probably never stay more than 2 nights in it (at least in the short term) but I thought boondocking would be more appealing. We went to an RV show. We looked at tons of Class B's. Checked out the configurations and narrowed in on the AI Lounge. Got sucked into the TB theme and found a new 2017 TB with Air Suspension that the dealer had for a while and was ready to deal on and went for it.

I still have a long Wachuko list to make improvements (solar, batteries, Yeti 1000 potentially, the MPPT controller but we felt the AI was the best base for us to start from. We had narrowed down to the Roadtrek E-Trek, The Coachman Galleris Li3, and the AI TB.

We are still rookies but excited about the journey and the possibilities.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I kinda fall outside that COO's demographic data. We sleep in our AI, but only plan to for 1 to 2 nights max. My wife falls in the 5-Star hotel demo and I fall in the 3-Star hotel is ok so long as no bugs. We both fall in the no-boondocking demo. No tents for us. We don't cook inside the AI but would cook outside. We will eat in a restaurant most of the time if one is close by. Will put up with A/C noise to keep inside cold. No intentions to go anywhere without full-hookups. All the solar, quieter gen, 2nd alternator, multi-banks of lithium won't do me any good, as I would only be using them to exercise them, so they don't deteriorate from non-use. BUT if offered on the AI, I would be forking out $$$$ to get them. As a techie, my only vice is to buy latest tech stuff. We use our AI as a people mover when not going "glamping". Without the AI, my wife flies 1st class all the time, even a 1hr flight. I hate airports, I hate flying, I love cars, I love driving, my threshold for considering flying is if facing a 20hr drive. The AI makes her look forward to the drive, having her tiny house behind her. It is a shallow attitude for me & wife to take, but travelling in style is our primary reason for buying the AI. Everything else is secondary

I fall WELL outside of his "typical customer". I've owned RV's in the past, have never hooked up to external facilities, and my typical trips are 5+ days. My daughter and I love it. Wife....not so much. If she could step into a teleporter and be at her destination instantly, she'd do it. I'd rather drive. I find it very relaxing, and in something as well equipped and smooth driving as the Interstate, I find myself LOOKING for reasons to go places.

Last summer I took my daughter to Yellowstone with stops along the way to visit family and see the sights. This summer we're headed north to British Columbia and the Columbia Icefield Parkway. Daughter wants to see a bear "from a safe distance" (LOL!) and I'd like to show her some glaciers before they're all gone. The AI performs well enough for me in these adventures now that I've made a few changes. It will be interesting to see how my new GoalZero Yeti works now that I have it "integrated" into the AI. I'll be sure to report on that in another thread once we get back.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
The AI demographic is interesting. The VP of Sales, who is now the COO, said that 50% of AI's are never slept in. They are used for long distance travel, from houses in the north to houses in the south and back again to avoid the winter weather. ...
This is absolutely not a winning strategy. Maybe Airstream does not intend to win the “volume shipped” race. Maybe they only intend to win the “not slept in” segment of the market. But why would they make a decision like that? Businesses only thrive when they are innovating and expanding, and those things are contingent on winning a healthy market share. Generally they start by gaining share and then diversifying and strengthening their business from there. As it is in biology, so too is it in business.

Why do I say it’s not a winning strategy? This -->

"Class B sales continued to climb during the first three months of 2018, posting double-digit growth as overall registrations jumped 37.9%.

Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI) reported that Winnebago Industries Inc. led the segment through March with a 37.2% market share followed by Erwin Hymer Group North America (30%) and Thor Industries Inc. (13.1%)." (URL here).

I mentioned the Travato above. This is one of the reasons why.

Someone over on Class B Forum also said something interesting that relates to this... I suppose I knew this, but it wasn't until his comment that I consciously realized that the Interstate has no de facto brand ambassador. From poster BBQ:

"WGO have the FitRV and tons of Lichtsinn videos.

RT have the Roadtrekking Mike Wendell.

Hymer have the We're the Russos."

Airstream Interstate has Nobody. And if the Airstream Interstate eventually gets Somebody to assume this role, they better not be a member of the "never slept in" crowd, because that's just NOT a compelling story on any level. There has to be an explicit presentation of how the product enhances the lives of those who buy it. If all that story consists of is driving from Point A to Point B, it might as well be the story of my beater Toyota Sienna.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
a long Wachuko list
And a new term is coined! Congratulations Wachuko, you are the Kleenex of the Airstream Interstate world!������

After a bit of thought I realized that the word “long” is redundant. All Wachuko lists are long by default.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote