Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Flaky MagnaSine 1000

Has this happened to you? And what did you do?

My MagnaSine 1000 inverter charger has been acting weird. When hooked up to shore power I thought I should always be seeing a positive charge on my Victron BMV-712 app but lately I see it is allowing small draws of amperage.

We are lately plugged in somewhere each night and on the road each day as well. The maximum I've seen it draw down is about 36A, which is about half what we would see if we had no shore power at all. So it's like it is letting SOME current in from the shore power but not all that is available. If we had no shore power I would be seeing a draw of 5A-8A

Here's the conditions from the latest situation:

7am - only 1A Solar coming in - Plugged into shore power

Magnum says Float Charging 0A
BMV says drawing -1.0A (typical these days) and shows the batteries are down -18A and it’s been 9hr since a full charge

Cycle the Magnum Charger at the ME-RC panel - no change (sometimes this works to reset things)
Cycle the 12V power - no change (sometimes this works to reset things)

Turn off the 12V power completely and the ME-RC ramps up to 13.5V (but fluctuating around) but still showing 0A
BMV says adding 1.8A

Wait two minutes, then turn 12V back on
ME-RC says Absorb Charging 13.5V (steady) and 17A
BMV agrees
ML-ACR kicks in to help charge chassis battery

I'm confused. Yes, I have the SB164 solenoid installed and maybe that's a problem. I have not had access to that chamber lately to feel if it is getting hot or if it's reading voltages properly (if I even know what should be happening there).
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote