Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
First impressions on overnighting in an Interstate

I am on my second Interstate having had a 2015 lounge and now a 2016 lounge. I traded in my 2015 to get the air suspension and glad I did. Now the people in the rear can be as comfortable as those in the front.

I use the Interstate as a day coach for day trips. On longer distances we stopped at hotels for the evening. Our 2016 will be coming up on its first anniversary in two months. We really enjoy it. It is a pleasure to drive and it seats 9. With our grandkids and ourselves, the bathroom facility is a big plus.

A few weeks ago we decided to take the Intertate to the Florida keys. We live in Florida. The plan was to test all the systems out since the warranty would be running out soon. We had not really extensively tested all the systems one would do by staying in it. It was only the wife and me.

Glad to say that everything worked. It was useful also in learning how to hook certain things up at the campground. I did learn that you must shut off the tv booster in order to use a cable connection. We stayed at Bluewater RV resort in Key West. We had a site right on the water with a large Chickee hut to relax in.

The smallest unit I had before was a 32 foot Class C. The largest was a 45 foot class A. The was several decades ago when my kids were small. The Interstate really takes a lot to get used to live in it. I found the bed and kitchen to be good. The bathroom was something else. Quite difficult to wash up and shave unless the door is open and you use the kitchen counter to put the toiletries. I found it almost impossible to shower.

However, that is the trade off for such a small and nimble coach. I guess it takes getting used to. One suggestion would be a bump out for the bathroom, if it was possible. Then the coach would be quite liveable for the misses and me.

All said and done, it was a great trip and everything worked. And I really love the Interstate.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
The bathroom was something else. Quite difficult to wash up and shave unless the door is open and you use the kitchen counter to put the toiletries. I found it almost impossible to shower.
Thanks for the report. Our 2016 is just a bit older than yours. We have done a number of overnights in it. On this point, our solution has been to not use the sink the bathroom. Instead we keep toothpaste, toothbrush, etc near the kitchen sink and use that. The toilet is only used as a toilet. And the shower had not been used yet (use the campground instead).

It is our first and only RV and I take special pleasure in turning into roads that says "No RVs."
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
The bathroom was something else. Quite difficult to wash up and shave unless the door is open and you use the kitchen counter to put the toiletries. I found it almost impossible to shower.

However, that is the trade off for such a small and nimble coach. I guess it takes getting used to. One suggestion would be a bump out for the bathroom, if it was possible. Then the coach would be quite liveable for the misses and me.
My understanding is many people leave the door open to give a bit more elbow room while showering.

My intent is to shower in it like I shower in marine heads on sailboats and use the toilet as a seat. Not only do I need very little room doing it that way, but when I'm on the boat I don't want to worry about a wake tossing me around while I'm showering! I don't think that will be an issue in the AI unless I'm trying to shower during an earthquake, but I live in CA so I'll be ready just in case, LOL.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Amg
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Thanks for the report. Our 2016 is just a bit older than yours. We have done a number of overnights in it. On this point, our solution has been to not use the sink the bathroom. Instead we keep toothpaste, toothbrush, etc near the kitchen sink and use that. The toilet is only used as a toilet. And the shower had not been used yet (use the campground instead).

It is our first and only RV and I take special pleasure in turning into roads that says "No RVs."

Using the kitchen sink sounds like a great idea. Thanks
Old 09-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
I have a much older unit than your's. It is a 2006. I guess it depends on how tall or how big a person is when it comes to using the shower. Don't take that statement the wrong way! Perhaps I don't have a problem because they didn't put a washbowl in the bathroom. I have to use the kitchen sink. Wiping it clean is no problem. You can always use the wipes to purify it. I also keep a squeegee in the bathroom and do all the walls before I get out. They show those shower extender rods and curtains. That might give you more arm movement. It ISdifficult to dry yourself in such a small space. Hope you can figure out a solution.
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Berwyn , Pennsylvania
We moved the soap/shampoo dispenser to the front wall and those few inches of shower width made all the difference. Now we both enjoy the shower and have no need to use campground facilities,
Hi Yo AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Amg
3 Rivet Member

I forgot to mention two items in my post. The power shades a little problematic. A few of the window shades fouled going either up or down and I had to manually put the shades into their tracks. I hope our service dealer can find a permenant solution

The other is the air conditioning. Numerous post complained about the noise while sleeping and the ability to cool the coach. I was concerned about the noise not allowing us to sleep. However, I found the contrary. I kept the fan on low and adjusted the air vents so it would not blow on us. I travel a lot for business and in order to mask out the noise of a hotel use a white noise machine or now an IPad app. Well the noice of the air conditioning was white noise and helped us sleep.
It was 95 degrees and humid in Key West and the air conditioning kept the coach plenty cool. Also during the day I parked the coach right next to the beach at Bahia Honda State Park. I kept the generator and air conditioning on. It was a perfect day. Walked out of the coach on the beach and into an 85 degree ocean. After lounging on the beach, I showered using the one on the outside of the coach. Then ate lunch in the cool inside. Doesn't get any better.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
I am also having chronic problems with the power shades, going in for a second warranty related repair soon. Have had to replace nearly every shade in the coach. Prone to failure and I have asked airstream if there is a manual solution because I'm getting fearful this will be a chronic issue. Anyone else with similar problems?
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I've discovered four things on these shades:

1) never touch them. They are quick to jump out of their tracks which will cause havoc

2) The fuse for the rear door shades (5 amp) would regularly blow when opening all shades at the same time (only time this would happen). Changed to 7.5 amp and never had another problem.

3) They are an absolute bear to adjust. Getting to the limit settings is a joke.

4) The wiring to the motors and momentary switch (for programming) is sloppily secured so the shades will eat the wiring and rip them apart.

When they work they are awesome and cool. Just bad design application.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
Anyone else with similar problems?
Nope!

Only time I had a problem with one is when I had something resting against it while it was closing. Ended up jumping the track, but was simple to put back in.

I know some folks complain about them, but oh my they are loads easier to use than the fiddly units found on the Road Treks that I looked at, and don't bang around like the MCDs found on many other units.

Overall, I'm very happy with them, and I use them a LOT!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
First night out

Last night and my first night out in my new-to-me 2014 1/2 Interstate. We have a rally coming up in a week and I wanted to get a feel for the unit and make sure everything works.

This is my fourth Airstream. The first was a 22' with a wet bath, so that is nothing new to me, although the bath in the 22 was a bit larger. My last Airstream was a Classic 28. I have spent a week loading the Interstate and I have boxes of stuff for the thrift shop.

At 84 years old, my worst problem is bending over in the narrow aisle to see the microwave controls. I still managed to nuke my dinner last night and cook my bacon and eggs this morning.

I found that since I have shrunk to 5' 7", I don't need the bed extensions. I had a great nights sleep on an artificial down pad and with a light-weight, all-season comforter over me. For heat, I had a ceramic heater running with the furnace on standby. The furnace finally came on at about 6 this morning. Not bad for January in mid-Texas. I was plenty warm under the comforter.

My worst problem was one of the second-row seats that had been jammed back so hard against the woodwork that I could not get it to slide forward. I finally had to lay down on the floor and use a screwdriver and flashlight to get the seat to release so I could move it forward. It was nice to get all 4 seats rotated.

I found the table is useless in the rear, so I removed the rear table mount. I have some screw holes to fill, but I am glad to get rid of the hump in the floor. The table works just fine in the front.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Sounds like it was a good night. Thanks for sharing John!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
First impressions on overnighting in an Interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Last night and my first night out in my new-to-me 2014 1/2 Interstate...

... At 84 years old, my worst problem is bending over in the narrow aisle to see the microwave controls. I still managed to nuke my dinner last night and cook my bacon and eggs this morning...

... I found the table is useless in the rear, so I removed the rear table mount. I have some screw holes to fill, but I am glad to get rid of the hump in the floor. The table works just fine in the front.

Thanks for sharing. I too have trouble with seeing the microwave controls on my 2013 Interstate. You are a inspiration to all and I hope to still be camping in a B-van when I'm 84!

Safe travels,
- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I too have trouble with seeing the microwave controls on my 2013 Interstate. You are a inspiration to all and I hope to still be camping in a B-van when I'm 84!

Safe travels,
- - Mike
I have the same problem: and since my 3rd microwave (Cuisinart CMW-200) has developed a fault, I was wondering whether the newer drawer-type microwave can be substituted. Anyone know?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I have the same problem: and since my 3rd microwave (Cuisinart CMW-200) has developed a fault, I was wondering whether the newer drawer-type microwave can be substituted. Anyone know?
I downloaded the Cuisinart manual last week since it is better than the Franklin manual. Interestingly, although it differs in some details, it is obvious that the Cuisinart is made by the same folks that made the (now bankrupt) Franklin in my unit. The buttons are pretty much in the same pattern and order. It would be nice if the drawer type would be a match if my Franklin gives up some day.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Contributing Member

First serious trip

We just returned from a 4-night rally at Brazos Bend State Park;186-miles each-way from home. 20.3 mpg going down with mostly a tailwind and 17.6 coming back with heavy side wind gusts. Given the wind gusts, I could not fault the Mercedes handling.

Everything at Brazos Bend appeared to be 100% until I noticed an ever-growing wet spot on the road side of the coach. I thought the low-point drain under the galley might not be closed tight, so I pulled the lower galley drawer to find that the cold water attachment to the outside shower was leaking badly. I tightened the fitting as much as I dared and that reduced the leak rate somewhat, but I could not stop the leak entirely. I was not ready to risk splitting the fitting and end up 4 days from home with no water. The water was pooling on the steel Mercedes floor, under the Airstream floor.

We disconnected the park water, filled the fresh water tank. We used the water pump only when we needed pressure and then released the pressure in the lines. The reduced pressure helped slow the leak even more.

Tomorrow morning I call the dealer and they can start to earn their one-year warranty. They will probably claim that it froze, but there have been no freezing nights since I bought the coach.

Other than that, count me 100% happy with the coach. We had a steady stream of visitors; all of our rally friends, and even the park hosts and rangers..
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
...the cold water attachment to the outside shower was leaking badly. I tightened the fitting as much as I dared and that reduced the leak rate somewhat, but I could not stop the leak entirely. I was not ready to risk splitting the fitting and end up 4 days from home with no water. The water was pooling on the steel Mercedes floor, under the Airstream floor.
My husband and I were not happy with the quality of the outdoor shower fittings. We had already experienced a galley fitting leak similar to what you described above, and did not want a repeat performance, especially given that we were installing lithium batteries near the outdoor shower connections.

After some spousal debate, we chose a two-pronged remediation: He upgraded the fittings where the shower lines penetrate the exterior vehicle wall (they had originally been plastic). He also upgraded the line segments from those fittings back to a pair of isolation valves which he added about two or three feet fore of the shower itself.

Those valves will remain closed and de-pressurized except during those rare times when we actually use the outdoor shower. By this approach, we got to keep the outdoor shower (which my husband wanted) but at the same time achieved far better electrical safety by having no "live" water connection in that immediate area (which I wanted).

Here's the before and after:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote