Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
EZ pass

I have multiple EZ Pass transponders for my cars and if I take a vehicle without one I just take it out of a car. I am assuming I can't do this with Interstate since it is a larger vehicle. Or does EZ pass automatically account for the vehicle size. I could not find an answer on their web site.
Docevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil View Post
I have multiple EZ Pass transponders for my cars and if I take a vehicle without one I just take it out of a car. I am assuming I can't do this with Interstate since it is a larger vehicle. Or does EZ pass automatically account for the vehicle size. I could not find an answer on their web site.
Most places that have tolls charge per vehicle or per axle. I know of only one toll bridge that charges extra for vehicle size, and that's the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, where vehicles over 6 feet tall pay double.*

I asked a member of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Commission about that once, and the answer I was given was that taller vehicles are more susceptible to crosswinds and do a disproportionate amount of damage to the guardrails compared to lower vehicles. The Commission felt that it was fair to make taller vehicles pay a larger share of the total tolls collected as a result.

*When I'm towing my Honda Fit behind my Interstate, the charge is $12, double the usual $3 because of four axles, doubled again because one of the vehicles is over 6 feet tall. Seems to me I ought to only pay $9, because only one of the vehicles is tall. But that argument doesn't fly with the toll-takers. I don't cross the Causeway often enough to justify having an EZPass, so I pay cash.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
EZ Pass 6 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil View Post
I think it's "Don't ask, don't tell"

My wife of course asked...and so they sent us a new transponder. The tolls for each entry are sometimes higher, depending on the state and the particular road/bridge. I think the vehicle type data is in your account tied to that specific transponder.

The vehicle code for AI is 265, 2 axles, 6 tires.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This previous thread from a few months ago also talked about transponder issues, just FYI.

In Texas, they are issued on a per-vehicle basis. As one goes through each toll booth, an extremely powerful camera takes a pic of the license plate and the computer instantly compares it to the transponder signature. If a discrepancy is found, a law enforcement vehicle is often dispatched on the spot to run the offender down.

There is no annual fee here for transponders, so there's no skin off our noses for having a dedicated transponder in our Interstate.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Technically the pass is registered to a vehicle. Lost of politicians around here have gotten into trouble loaning out there free passes.

My TV has an EZ Pass and my trailer is also listed on that pass. Now that said most agencies have not figured out how to charge for the combination and charge me commercial rates based on axle count. I then have to call the agency and have the charge corrected. The computer knows what I have but they make a lot more money overcharging unsuspecting users.

As a rule of thumb NEVER use EZ Pass to cross any bridge on the Delaware River unless you are willing to fight for the refund. The Maine Turn Pike also over charges based on axles. You have to know the correct charge for your combination before you use EZ Pass. The charges are on each authorities web sight. I only use it on Holiday weekends when there is heavy traffic and don't want to wait in line and correct the charge after the fact.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have one Il. I pass that I move from pu. to Escape. In Il. each vehicle is reg. and trailers to this transponder. I have used in multiple states that have recip. agreement with Il. only charges taken off Il. escrow act. no sep. bill from other states.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
We're taking a Revolutionary War themed trip this fall. So we'll be driving from Wichita, KS to Boston, MA and down to around Richmond, VA, visiting numerous places in-between before returning. I've bought an EZ-Pass and my trailer is listed on my account with license number and as a recreation trailer (purchased through North Carolina as it will also work in some additional southern states).

1. Should this combination work most of the time?
2. What precautions should I take?

Note: I plan to avoid toll roads where possible...especially when towing.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might want to consider taking the Mass Pike. IRRC, it's all-electronic now. And it's a danged sight better than some of the other roads in that area.

Traveling through the northeast is a lower-rungs-of-hell exercise generally. I don't skimp on tolls. I'll pay any price to get through that mess as efficiently as possible.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
We're taking a Revolutionary War themed trip this fall. So we'll be driving from Wichita, KS to Boston, MA and down to around Richmond, VA, visiting numerous places in-between before returning. I've bought an EZ-Pass and my trailer is listed on my account with license number and as a recreation trailer (purchased through North Carolina as it will also work in some additional southern states).

1. Should this combination work most of the time?
2. What precautions should I take?

Note: I plan to avoid toll roads where possible...especially when towing.
Have you checked the FAQs at the NC site?

https://www.ncquickpass.com/nc-quick...nsponders.aspx

The “where can I use” section seems helpful as does the RV one . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have TxTag on all of my vehicles. Lower rates than pay by mail and a lot less hassle.

Austin has just opened variable toll lanes on MOPAC Expressway. At off peak times, the entire NS length of Austin costs $.50 for one vehicle. If I leave home after 9 AM, I get the low tolls going S-N and if I return home no later than about 2:30 PM, I get the low tolls going N-S. The current tolls are shown on signs well before the toll lanes start.

I tow the Smart with its own tag. Sometimes, the sensors see both vehicles and it costs me $1. Other times, it misses the Smart and charges me by the axle and it is about $1.50 or so. Either way, it is wonderful to set the CC on about 67, drive down that empty wide lane, and just steer for the length of the city. Well worth the cost.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
With alll your nice toll roads in the East you must have all have great roads. Glad I live in Oregon
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Maine charged by tyres, not axles. (The only rude booth attendant we met was in Maine).

last time I was driving on the east coast there was no consistent toll charging. I would have gotten an EZPass before heading out on the trip if I knew how prolific it was. (Seems like a lot more tool roads also than before).

It wasn’t until we had gone quite a few states before I saw how they all seemed to be using it. So it was thought the cash booth.

I did see Mass Pike now has cameras so no stopping. It didn’t have any issue reading the plates with the motorcycle on the back (of course I have a front plate also)

And no- the roads are NOT in great shape at all. Some of the toll roads were quite nice, but most were seemed the same as the other roads, just cost a lot more.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
We're taking a Revolutionary War themed trip this fall. So we'll be driving from Wichita, KS to Boston, MA and down to around Richmond, VA,

Do not miss Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
In NYS our TV is considered a single axle our AS a two axle. 😳
The trailer has a separate transmitter, both must be displayed when towing. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In NYS our TV is considered a single axle our AS a two axle. 😳
The trailer has a separate transmitter, both must be displayed when towing.
Are you sure about that? My NYS EZPass account counts my TV as two axles (like any vehicle), and the Airstream is 2 more. In fact, looking at the EZPass website, there is no option for a single-axle vehicle. And all the toll facilities (including the Thruway Authority, which accounts for almost all the NYS toll facilities outside the NYC metro area) show the base toll as being a two-axle vehicle.

I was issued two tags for my TV - one for when I'm towing (it's blue), and another for when I'm not (it's white). However, the toll plaza equipment knows what I'm doing and charges me the correct toll whether I'm using the proper transponder or not. I try to remember to use the right tag every time, but sometimes...well, they get it right so it doesn't really matter.

I've never heard of a transponder being issued for a trailer. The EZPass NY website has no reference to such a thing. Sounds like you were issued two tags like me, but both go in your TV; you're supposed to switch them when you're towing. Is one of them blue? If so, that's your towing tag, you use that one in the TV when you're towing. Replace it with the white tag when you're not towing. No tag goes on the trailer.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In NYS our TV is considered a single axle our AS a two axle. ��
The trailer has a separate transmitter, both must be displayed when towing. ��

Bob
����
How old are these transmitters? Not sure your info is current. Here is the NYS EZPass application. With our single axle FC20 we are in class 076:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

When we are towing, the regular EZPass goes in a special bag which prevents the toll reader from picking up its ID, similar to Jim’s recent post.

Maybe your setup is grandfathered in, Bob?

Peter
Old 06-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here in Florida we have the Sun Pass.
I keep hearing how the two systems will merge, but that's not happened yet.
When trying to make sense of the tolls, an employee told me, "Think of the front axle as free, then every other axle pays a toll. So if it's your TV only you pay one toll for the drive axle. If you tow a two axle trailer, you pay for the TV drive axle and both of the trailer axles, thus three times the posted rate. It doesn't matter if you're riding a motorcycle, the front wheel is free and the rear wheel pays." It works.
Another advantage (so far) is the transponder charges about $.25 less than the toll booth, so it actually saves you something.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a NJ EZ-Pass in my truck. It's a single wheel F-350 and my account is for a passenger vehicle. When I tow my 2 axel Airstream EZ-Pass catches the extra axels and charges me accordingly. I've only had a problem at one Delaware River crossing where they charge me as a commercial 18wheel truck and I have to dicker with them and get a refund. But that's only in the high speed lane and if I use the toll plaza lane all is correct. Now, more recently I have had a violation notice from Delaware. EZ-Pass recorded the toll and charged me but Delaware sent me a violation. I just mailed in the copy of the EZ-Pass statement showing the paid toll 2 days ago. Now, to throw a monkey wrench into the works (at least here in NJ) the turnpike and Hudson R crossings do hit you more for dual wheels and I think an AS Interstate will fall into that one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Roger, per the link in Post #16, maybe an RV EZPass would avoid those hiccups? Not sure if NJ has one like NY.

Peter
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks to all who have thus-far replied. I have had a KTAG transponder for a number of years. This transponder works in my home state of Kansas plus Oklahoma and Texas. The system is an axle-counting system so whether solo or towing my three axle trailer, it always charges the right toll.

It appears that the local variations while towing with EZ-Pass vary fairly widely, so I'll just see how it works out. I currently have both transponders mounted on my truck windshield. Also, on the NC EZ-Pass, I've registered the trailer as other (make)/recreational camping trailer/license number so that it would be associated with my account and the truck's transponder. I plan to report back after the trip is completed.

Again...thanks to all.