Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
scottsdale , Arizona
Airstream dealer vs MB Dealer

Does anyone have any opinion and/or experience with purchasing from an Airstream dealer vs from a MB dealer that sells Airstreams?
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I see you're down the road from me in Scottsdale, so I'm sure you have Schumacher in mind as the Mercedes/Airstream dealer....
I bought my Interstate from Schumacher (in 2013) and have generally been very happy with them. Their prices are high compared to the Volkswagen dealer I use for my Touareg servicing, but I don't think the prices are that different compared to any other mainstream Airstream dealer.
When buying I negotiated a 20% discount and that was for a spec that I requested, and I had to join the build line for it.
Being a Mercedes dealer, they do have to maintain a high standard, and Mercedes usually follows up with a survey. Free coffee and sticky buns in their waiting area.
They also provide me with a Mercedes loaner for the duration of any work, no matter the length of time they keep my Interstate.
It's a civilized process to deal with them, and they generally do good work, certainly on the van part; they have Airstream-trained technicians for the RV parts.
Let me know if you have any questions about them
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I drive 100 miles out of the way to have my Sprinter serviced by a MB dealer. I can't imagine the luxury of having a MB dealer AND an Airstream dealer in one shop. No brainer for me for service at least. If they were reasonably competitive in price, even better for a new purchase in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
The dealer I bought my AI from would not do anything to it... could not change tires to install the metal valve stems... I go to the Mercedes dealer for the Sprinter... would have been excellent to have purchased the AI from there as well...

So yes, I would push to get the same deal and buy it from a Mercedes dealer...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
Does anyone have any opinion and/or experience with purchasing from an Airstream dealer vs from a MB dealer that sells Airstreams?
Don' t really know that there is much difference with the purchasing part IMHO. But my extensive dealings with service with MB dealers vs. my limited experience with Airstream service, I would prefer MB dealership servicing as much as they are willing/able to do before I have Airstream work on it. If you have an MB dealer that can do both, you would be a lucky 1-percenter
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
The dealer I bought my AI from would not do anything to it... could not change tires to install the metal valve stems... I go to the Mercedes dealer for the Sprinter... would have been excellent to have purchased the AI from there as well...

So yes, I would push to get the same deal and buy it from a Mercedes dealer...

Interesting. My MB dealer said they could not install the metal valve stems. I still have them in the package. Haven't bought the TST TPMS yet. There is a RV service place near by that charges by the hour but RV would be with them for a while (days or weeks) based on how they do their scheduling/drop off.

Was thinking maybe a discount tire since they have the wheel balancer that was recommended. If anyone has a recommendation in the Dallas area let me know.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

downers grove , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Interesting. My MB dealer said they could not install the metal valve stems. I still have them in the package. .
Mercedes installs valve stems for customers every day. Are you sure they just don't want to install YOUR valve stems?
gkoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Dear RTDAVDW - If it's geographically practical, and even though you pay for your RV, choose a dealer that offers both Airstream and Mercedes sales and service. I passed on saving several thousand dollar during purchase negotiations to choose my dealer (RBM of Alpharetta, GA). The resulting benefits include house and chassis certified technicians, AI/Mercedes Service Representatives on hand to cut through the corporate protocols for service/repair approvals, expeditious handling of grey area issues (Is it a Mercedes issue/warranty or an Airstream issue/warranty, clean modern facilities/waiting rooms with amenities, and a car loaner if the RV is kept for any length of time (my personal experiences for visits in my first 8 months)!! Additionally, I know the sales/service/customer representatives on a first name basis and value their recommendations for installing optional accessories with outside associates that they certify and sponsor...
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That ^ is the way to do it...

I will follow that for the next purchase.

I had to look at several of the Mercedes dealer since not all of them are setup to service a Sprinter... very happy with the one I found in Sanford, FL.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISGM View Post
choose a dealer that offers both Airstream and Mercedes sales and service[/B]. I passed on saving several thousand dollar during purchase negotiations to choose my dealer (RBM of Alpharetta, GA). The resulting benefits include house and chassis certified technicians, AI/Mercedes Service Representatives on hand to cut through the corporate protocols for service/repair approvals, expeditious handling of grey area issues (Is it a Mercedes issue/warranty or an Airstream
+1 - I agree. I envy you having that available. Definitely worth the tiny bit loss in savings. Unfortunately, I do not have such a good combo here. If I buy another AS, will definitely consider expanding my purchase range to have this option, i.e. driving to So. Cal.
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for the feedback. Kind of felt dealing with a MB dealer was the way to go.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoche View Post
Mercedes installs valve stems for customers every day. Are you sure they just don't want to install YOUR valve stems?

Will have to circle back with them...
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Airstream and Mercedes USA do have a significant relationship. I asked Sun Motors, a major Mid-Atlantic Sprinter dealer, why they didn't sell Airstream Interstates. I was told that Airstream requires any dealer that sells Interstates to keep several in stock. I don't remember the exact number, but I think is was near six units. That is a big overhead for any dealer.

I agree that a Mercedes dealer that sells Airstream Interstates would be the best.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Airstream Dealer Vs MB Dealer

We purchased our 2013 from Schumacher in Scottsdale. They provided all Benz and Airstream warranty work very well. Tire rotation and alignment were also done well with them. After warranty period, tried to use El Paso, TX MB dealer, but they had stopped servicing Sprinters. When in Phoenix now, prefer MB of Chandler. Airstream repairs have been done by me, or Camping World of Anthony, TX. Living in Las Cruces we use now a local shop that services FedEx Sprinters, and reasonably so. Tire valve work has been done at the local Discount Tire Store, and they will accept "bring your own" parts. I understand that Big O will align Sprinters as well, but will confirm later this month.
JJKinnerup is offline   Reply With Quote