Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Built in mini-PC

Oh well. Never was aerodynamically, politically, or aluminiumly correct, so I guess I’ll just go camping with what I own.

And BTW, no network or computers installed in the Airstream. DW would fix them with a fire axe. We’re on vacation, not at work...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #22
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
If you come from a mindset that a computer = work then, I agree it has no place on vacation. If, however you see a computer as an alternate to a DVD/BluRay, your music collection, photo albums etc etc then you may have a different opinion.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
32gb is just not enough overhead for Windows 10. ...
+1.

This is waaaaay beyond infuriating, but I bought my 82-year-old father a low-end PC with a hardware configuration that was too small to accommodate what can briefly be described as "everything that was inevitably going to happen once the thing was removed from its original packing box". It is quite literally useless and now I have to buy him another. The fact that this kind of junk is even sold makes me angry. It represents heretofore-unheard-of levels of built-in obsolescence.

My husband just installed in our house a separate mini-PC which has one function: to continually check and update our IP address so that our home security video system will stop falling offline whenever our ISP rotates our address (we have an older DIY system but it represented a substantial financial investment and it works reliably, so we keep it).

As for our Interstate, I am waiting on the market to advance before I / we tackle an installation of what I HOPE will be a holistic system that includes DVR capability for a series of security cameras. I am so tired of an endless parade of "one-trick" imaging and/or computer components. We have:

(1) Three cameras associated with the live backup and turn signal monitor.
(2) One camera in the form of a conventional dash cam
(3) Three types of personal cameras (iPhones, DSLR, and GoPro)
(4) But nothing in the way of true recording video security or information management system

At least some of that stuff should be rolled up into a coherent package. But the mobile security market is not there yet. Someone please correct me if you think I'm wrong on that point - I beg you.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have one of these with Window 7 media center and a stick tuner. It is a DVR with a TV stick tuner, music, photos, etc. One stop shop. It is a shame they got rid of media center in Win 10. This is actually a real PC or you can just as easily use a laptop with win 7. Newer is not always better.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...lex-3060-micro

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My little Atom-based PC is working quite well. I installed the snap-in mount for it on top of the DVD player in my over-cab cabinet. I installed an automatic HDMI switch, so whichever source is on, it is switched through to the TV.

I have a second snap-in mount on the beck of my desk at home, complete with cables and power supply. I can bring the little PC home for updates and for loading material. I just move the Bluetooth receiver for the keyboard and mouse over to the mini-PC.

I have about 15 Kindle books loaded. My wife prefers to read in bed in the evenings and I can relax and read my Kindle on the big screen.

The built-in WiFi is stronger than my Galaxy S9. Unfortunately, the park we were at for our rally last week had no WiFi, so I couldn't use it.

I found the included image on the Sprinter site. Very similar PC to mine and same WiFi antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini-PC.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	333619  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I just installed this adorable little fan-less PC for a home automation project. It would do well in a RV as well as a media server, etc. No moving parts, runs Windows 10 like a champ.

6GB RAM
128GB Ram with SD card slot for expansion.
Quad Core
Dual band WiFi
4 USB ports
4K HDMI
12 Volts
$249
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
I was just thinking about this thread yesterday and was wondering how things were going. While trying to clear up GB of space on that SSD yesterday I ran across these two tools.

https://windirstat.net/

http://www.homedev.com.au/Free/PatchCleaner

With these tools I was able to clean up ~40gb of space out of 100gb on C-Drive. I apologize if you already knew about them, but they might come in handy down the road as it were.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #28
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I love this thread... makes me feel so at home, lol.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have a Mac mini. I’ve had it from 2012. Still runs like new. 16gb, 1TB drive. If you can get a used one it would have way more applications for an AS. Put a parallels system in it and you can run PC programs. Apple products just keep on going going going going.

Also my IPAD has more power than that PC you hooked up. I use it to run movies, Netlflix, etc I take my MacBook along, but seldom pull it out unless I need to do work for my business.
My vote is for the Mac Mini. I have a 2012 Mac Mini server with a quad core i7 with 16 GB RAM and two SSD drives. I've edited complex movies and videos and run Adobe Lightroom with ease. And.....with Macs there is very little concern about viruses and malware.

I haven't regularly used a Windows PC since 1995 and have owned Apple computers since 1986. They are a far superior and much more reliable products than Window machines, especially in a media production setting.

I'm currently working on a maxed out 2017 MacBook Pro (still with 16gb RAM)

I do keep a compact Acer Netbook with Atom processor and Windows 7 on the shelf in the event that I need to update firmware on a peripheral device that requires a Windows computer.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote