Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Got it....I'm writing it all down in a little book to keep in my AI. Thanks!!!!!

BTW....just checked and the % is still showing 80% after an hour and with the fridge on. The fridge runs off shore or battery, right?

I turned the disconnect back on, plugged him in, and will now do as you suggest....several days.

If it does go down to 80 in 15 minutes you state the batteries are degraded. Does that mean they are kaput? Dead? Need replacement? Or....just don't have the umph they once had.

If I have enough juice to turn on the generator....I'll be happy.
FromDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Let me get this straight.

When the AI is plugged into shore power and the battery disconnect is turned off....the battery loses juice even though plugged in?

And! When I had the disconnect turned off while on the road....wrongfully thinking I had the battery off....I was draining it big time?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDad View Post
Got it....I'm writing it all down in a little book to keep in my AI. Thanks!!!!!

BTW....just checked and the % is still showing 80% after an hour and with the fridge on. The fridge runs off shore or battery, right?

I turned the disconnect back on, plugged him in, and will now do as you suggest....several days.

If it does go down to 80 in 15 minutes you state the batteries are degraded. Does that mean they are kaput? Dead? Need replacement? Or....just don't have the umph they once had.

If I have enough juice to turn on the generator....I'll be happy.
The 2 batteries you have in there now are standard 80Amp batteries. Thats a measure of their capacity, but only when they're in good condition. After they degrade, such as by allowing them to get too discharged, the capacity is reduced, a bit like a bucket that's getting smaller. You can still use them, but there will come a time when you can hardly use them.
Yes, the fridge will run off the batteries or shore power.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
FromDad,... STOP turning your batteries off. Leave that switch in the ON or USE position.

When you turn them off, they cannot be recharged. Only if the switch is ON can you use 12volt items like lighting when disconnected from shore power... or can they be recharged when you are plugged IN to shore power.

If you store your RV and if it's NOT plugged in... turn them off. Otherwise, leave them ON and forget about it.

Only turn your inverter on IF you are not plugged into shore power or generator....AND if you want to use ordinary household current (what you call a Plug.) Otherwise, never turn your inverter on.

It's all that simple.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
FromDad,... STOP turning your batteries off. Leave that switch in the ON or USE position.

When you turn them off, they cannot be recharged. Only if the switch is ON can you use 12volt items like lighting when disconnected from shore power... or can they be recharged when you are plugged IN to shore power.

If you store your RV and if it's NOT plugged in... turn them off. Otherwise, leave them ON and forget about it.

Only turn your inverter on IF you are not plugged into shore power or generator....AND if you want to use ordinary household current (what you call a Plug.) Otherwise, never turn your inverter on.

It's all that simple.
It's NOT that simple!! This is an Interstate, not a trailer. The Magnum happily charges with the batteries in disconnect mode. If you're not using the fridge, you don't need to start draining the batteries unnecessarily.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
It's NOT that simple!! This is an Interstate, not a trailer. The Magnum happily charges with the batteries in disconnect mode. If you're not using the fridge, you don't need to start draining the batteries unnecessarily.
I apologize for not remembering it is an Interstate...but the technique suggested still applies, does it not?

Quit turning the batteries off (except when storing without shore-power) and don't turn the inverter on unless you need household/AC current without shore power.

It still seems simple to this simpleton, and I think the OP wants a simple technique instead of technicalities.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Unfortunately there is no shortcut to understanding the intricacies of the power system in Interstates. Instrumentation is incomplete, and design is haphazard.

If you are running on AC power then it is simple. But the moment you disconnect, it becomes a messy thing.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I apologize for not remembering it is an Interstate...but the technique suggested still applies, does it not?

Quit turning the batteries off (except when storing without shore-power) and don't turn the inverter on unless you need household/AC current without shore power.

It still seems simple to this simpleton, and I think the OP wants a simple technique instead of technicalities.

Dont apologize, many trailer owners unwittingly contribute to this Interstate section forgetting they're dealing with a different beast!
The OP was asking whether to replace her apparently diminished batteries with a single one, and I've been trying to justify why that isn't a good idea!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Hi UKDUDE.....it's been several days and I have done as you suggest. I unplugged the AI, kept the battery in disconnect mode, waited 15 minutes, and the % was 95.....95?! So! I'm giving him another 15 min to see what happens.

After all this time I thought my batteries were completely dead.....I am SO JAZZED!

Will report back! Hope this is helping others!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Oh my.....during the next 15 minutes....still unplugged from shore, battery in disconnect mode....and of course, the inverter off I:
In preparation to dump...can do that at home, lucky us.
Turned on the water pump
Turned on the tap water in kitchen
Turned off the water and pump
at this point the % was 75
Dumped the black water then the grey having to turn on the pump to do that....
at this point the % went down to 40
Wound everything back up, turned all that off, checked the battery and it was back up to 80!
Did a couple of other things, minor, checked again and the darn thing was back up to 90%?! Are you kidding me?!

Hit my timer for another 15 minutes....still unplugged and disconnect on.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Battery gauges rely on measuring the voltage and that can be quite unreliable. As soon as you remove the charger for example the voltage drops and hence that initial drop to 95% you noticed. When you draw large current from it (the dump does that) then the voltage drops some. But then recovers if you give it some time.

That said, I think your batteries are weak and a new set will do better.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDad View Post
Oh my.....during the next 15 minutes....still unplugged from shore, battery in disconnect mode....and of course, the inverter off I:
In preparation to dump...can do that at home, lucky us.
Turned on the water pump
Turned on the tap water in kitchen
Turned off the water and pump
at this point the % was 75
Dumped the black water then the grey having to turn on the pump to do that....
at this point the % went down to 40
Wound everything back up, turned all that off, checked the battery and it was back up to 80!
Did a couple of other things, minor, checked again and the darn thing was back up to 90%?! Are you kidding me?!

Hit my timer for another 15 minutes....still unplugged and disconnect on.
Your solar panel help recharge the batteries to some extent.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote