Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Automatic night shades

Has anyone had problems with the automatic night shades getting stuck on the sliding door? Airstream readjusted them, but they still get stuck.
Sgkh1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
Yes..My unit is going in for service on Tuesday. The sliding door unit does no get stuck.... it just does not retract totally. I have two other night shades that do not retract all the way to the top and one shade that stopped completely approximately 1/2 way to the top. I believe on that unit the motor has malfunctioned since it blew a fuse. All of the automatic sun screens work perfectly however. I recently completed a 6 week 3500mi + trip and this was my only problem so I am quite happy with the Interstate's performance.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Yes - exactly that. The side door shades (both) are mis-adjusted and also get stuck. Other shades need minor travel adjustment because they come down too far and tend to crease. The AS is at the dealer now getting those and the backup camera mount fixed under warranty (as well as attending to insurance claims).
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Haha, yep mine too. And mine rattle and bugged the heck out of me. Had to put small piece of tape on the ones behind driver seat they were so bad! Seemed really cool at first - but I see these being huge issue in year 3-4 of ownership!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
The automatic shades have given us problems also, after 6 months ownership and about 6000 miles travel. The privacy shades crease and the screens sometimes stop too soon, either up or down. I am 3 hours from nearest Airstream dealer (Baton Rouge) so I might have to live with it until I can schedule the warranty fix. I have no complaints with this vehicle other than this.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I've had the same problems. The attached file may help. I also discovered that the blind tracks become loose and are the source for most of the rattling. The up and down limits are a real pain to get to them for adjusting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf automotion_users_manual.pdf (1.22 MB, 537 views)
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Thumbs up

Thanks for that manual!

Too bad the limits can't be electronically programmed like Somfy shades. I can't imagine getting to those screws for adjustment.

-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
[QUOTE=Mcrider;1770889]I've had the same problems. The attached file may help. I also discovered that the blind tracks become loose and are the source for most of the rattling........................

Thanks Mcrider; I might fool with it some today if I can get to the limit controls. That's a good tip about the tracks rattling. I have something going on back there and I didn't think about that, so I will see if that is the source of my rattles.

BTW, we just got back from a week at Big Bend National Park, perfect time to visit if anyone is so inclined. The Spring Breakers are just about through drinking beer and carrying on and the Chisos Basin is getting back to its usual majestic self.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
There are screws in the top cabinets that hold the side panels. You can remove these and tilt the panel out to more easily access the limit adjust. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Found the screws, removed the panel with the non-functioning shade. The problem is obvious. Somehow the wires got caught in the rotation and got stretched, snapped, including pulling the little plastic clips off the attachments. (these would be the clips that are supposed to keep the wires out of the rotation mechanism, I guess) I fould a couple of tiny broken pieces of plastic, function unknown. But the limit adjusters are easy to get to!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
Found the screws, removed the panel with the non-functioning shade. The problem is obvious. Somehow the wires got caught in the rotation and got stretched, snapped, including pulling the little plastic clips off the attachments. (these would be the clips that are supposed to keep the wires out of the rotation mechanism, I guess) I fould a couple of tiny broken pieces of plastic, function unknown. But the limit adjusters are easy to get to!!
At the end of the wires is a very small momentary close pushbutton that is used to program the blind to the controller. If it tore this off (as it did mine) you will need to improvise.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Both programming push buttons (for both the shade and the screen) are torn off, but found. I can hopefully re-solder everything if need be. I sent an email to the manufacturer to see if any of this is covered in their warranty. If not I will try Airstream. If both are non-responsive I will cut and splice everything using the one on the driver side as a guide. If none of that works I will have a very expensive "manual" shade on the passenger side. Believe it or not it was those remote controlled automatic shades that caught our attention on the lot when we were sightseeing new models. Ended up trading a late model Eddie Bauer 28 AND an F150 FX4 for the Interstate, so those shades are important!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
[QUOTE=jdthor;1771102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I've had the same problems. The attached file may help. I also discovered that the blind tracks become loose and are the source for most of the rattling........................

Thanks Mcrider; I might fool with it some today if I can get to the limit controls. That's a good tip about the tracks rattling. I have something going on back there and I didn't think about that, so I will see if that is the source of my rattles.

BTW, we just got back from a week at Big Bend National Park, perfect time to visit if anyone is so inclined. The Spring Breakers are just about through drinking beer and carrying on and the Chisos Basin is getting back to its usual majestic self.
Yep, it is nice out at Big Bend http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1756074
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
Same problem with my night shade on the sliding door. Mine is not stuck but came off the rail. It might have been from the repeated slamming when closing the sliding door.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #15

San Luis Obispo , California
We've had our AS for about 10 days. Took out for its maiden trip over the weekend. The PS rear nite shade won't retract now. Printed out the User Manual from the manufacturer's website. Tried to re-program as described on p. 9, but no luck. Have an appt on the 20th to repair. We also noticed two shades that need a "limit adjustment" so they won't crinkle. Other than that, we enjoyed our first outing.
slomanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Check for a blown fuse. I had the 5amp fuse blow so my rear door shades became inoperable. Replaced fuse and all is well.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #17

San Luis Obispo , California
Mcrider: Thanks for the suggestion. I've traced the wiring and both the PS mid & PS rear shades are powered by the same fuse. Inasmuch as the mid shade is working properly, I'm assuming it's not the fuse.
slomanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
Depere , Wisconsin
Slomanbob...I have exactly the same problem after my recent 6 week trip...blew the 5 amp fuse and PS rear shade became inoperable. Replaced fuse and PS mid shade is fine. My rig is in for service now and I will let you know the cause of the problem PS rear shade
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Waynesville , North Carolina
Thanks for the manual download. Do you have to take off the side panel to get to the rollers? If so, is it easy to do... do they snap in somewhere?
jarreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarreau View Post
Thanks for the manual download. Do you have to take off the side panel to get to the rollers? If so, is it easy to do... do they snap in somewhere?

Remove screws located in overhead luggage compartment. Then the side panel will pull away sufficiently to access wiring if needed. Limit. Programming switches can be reached without going to this trouble.