Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anybody had this problem?

I don't know whether Mercedes offers one, but Volkswagen offered a solar charger that attached to the inside of a window with suction cups and plugged into a port under the dash. I had one of these options on my 2007 Vokswagen New Beetle Convertible. My Beetle had the 2.5 Liter inline 5-cylinder gasoline motor, and the solar charger kept the battery fully charged and ready to go even when the car sat idle in the driveway for eight weeks or more. The Beetle was equipped with a high-end burglar alarm as well as a Monsoon Stereo System. If Mercedes offers an option or accessory like this for the Sprinter it may offer some assistance to keeping the battery charged.

Kevin

P.S.: A photo of the VW Solar Charger is below:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I was at a Mercedes/Sprinter dealership on Monday, and didn't see anything about solar chargers, in either their display area or their brochures. Of course, at that point I hadn't specifically asked…

Yesterday I ordered a solar charger that will plug into dashboard power outlet. It supposedly puts out 8˝ watts on a bright, sunny day, and clips to a visor panel. 8˝ watts should be plenty to offset the draw caused by the alarm sytem. Most of the offerings I found in my Internet search were in the 1~2 watt range, which I know wouldn't have been enough to keep up with the alarm system's current draw.

It has a built-in blocking diode to prevent current from flowing in reverse in the event I forget to unplug it when starting the engine. However, it doesn't have a charge controller— most dashboard-style solar panels don't— so I probably should not use it if the alarm system isn't turned on. Which won't be a problem. I always leave the alarm on unless I'm actually using the vehicle.

I thought about hooking the alarm to the house batteries, but then I'd never be able to disconnect the house batteries while the unit's in storage. That just trades one problem for another.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It has a built-in blocking diode to prevent current from flowing in reverse in the event I forget to unplug it when starting the engine. However, it doesn't have a charge controller— most dashboard-style solar panels don't— so I probably should not use it if the alarm system isn't turned on. Which won't be a problem. I always leave the alarm on unless I'm actually using the vehicle.
Don't worry about the panel overcharging the battery - it's just not powerful enough.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Don't worry about the panel overcharging the battery - it's just not powerful enough.
You're probably right. Still, my karma is such that, if there's any possible way to screw it up, I'll find it.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You're probably right. Still, my karma is such that, if there's any possible way to screw it up, I'll find it.
Mr. Murphy always looking over your shoulder, is he?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote