Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
AI Propane Gen Set Oil Pressure issue

We ran our generator Friday night for 3 hours w/o any issues. Saturday morning I started it and it ran for a short while before it shut itself off.
I repeated the process and got the same result. The light flashed 2 x after shutting off and the readout in the panel was 8111.5.

I can't seem to find out the significance of the 8111.5 reading but the light flashing 2 x indicates an oil pressure issue.

Our unit currently has 50 hours on it and I last had the oil change a little over a year ago when it reached 20 hours of operation.

Has anyone had a similar issue with theirs? Is there a DIY fix for me to try before I call to get it serviced?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Have you checked the oil level? I had no discernable oil consumption in 15 hours, but it is possible that your oil level is down, causing low oil pressure. You may find it easier to drop the spare tire to remove the access panel to check the oil.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Have you checked the oil level? I had no discernable oil consumption in 15 hours, but it is possible that your oil level is down, causing low oil pressure. You may find it easier to drop the spare tire to remove the access panel to check the oil.
Thanks Titus!

I did check the oil level and it was down. So I changed the oil and that took care of the low pressure indicator light!

Is there an easier way to check the oil other than dropping the tire?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I am not aware of an easier way. It might be possible to check the oil without dropping the spare, but it would be extremely difficult to add oil without dropping the spare. I have always done it at home in a paved driveway, where I can drop the spare onto a dolly and roll it out of the way. Dropping the spare also gives me the opportunity to hose it off and check its air pressure. I found that my spare was seated against some metal ridges sticking down from the frame. The ridges were gougeing into the tire, so I cut some short 2x2 blocks of wood and zip-tied them between the ridges. The spare now rides against these 2x2 blocks.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
... I found that my spare was seated against some metal ridges sticking down from the frame. The ridges were gougeing into the tire, so I cut some short 2x2 blocks of wood and zip-tied them between the ridges. The spare now rides against these 2x2 blocks.
Yes - I had those same metal ridges against the spare. I think they are part of the factory spare tire carrier that Aisrstream just chopped off and left sticking into the spare tire. I also added wood blocks. Great minds think alike!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I should check mine to see if they are still doing that... at least there is a proven easy modification...

Any chance there are photos of blocks in place? Or maybe something that will become apparent when I look under...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I will e-mail you some pictures - not the best because the tire is in place, but you'll get the idea. I think the ribs (and associated imprint on the tire) will be obvious once you lower the spare. I put a 6" long 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 board between the ribs and ran zip ties through some existing holes to hold the board there when the tire is lowered. You will see that the tire sits a little lower when hitting the boards than it did when hitting the ribs. But it is still far above the bottom of the generator.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Thank you!! I am amazed that those pieces of metal did not cut into the sidewall of the spare tire!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	317402   Click image for larger version

Name:	T2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	317403  

Name:	T3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	317404  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Thank you!! I am amazed that those pieces of metal did not cut into the sidewall of the spare tire!!
That's a easy fix, Thanks Titus!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
WACHUKO - I don't see the issue you guys are talking about. I have VB Air Rear Suspension which puts the spare/carrier at a different location than the non-VB units. I think this issue would only be on the Airstream modified spare carrier which is re-mounted closer to gen. The VB units use the standard Sprinter installed tire carrier which is way back towards rear bumper, almost at rear hitch
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Good to know Alex. One less thing to worry about. I still have go down there this weekend to change the oil in the generator. So that means that I should have more space between it and the gen cover...

I did the spacers in the gen and can’t remember...duh!! let me just look at the photos I took....
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My EXT has an underdeck storage box back by the hitch. It extends forward from the hitch about 15" and the spare tire is sandwiched between it and the generator. Do the later ones not have the underdeck storage? In some ads it is shown being used as a cooler - filled with ice and your favorite tailgating beverage. Bring lots of ice - it has ~ 20 ga sheet metal walls. There is a rubber drain plug at the bottom - apparently they are serious about that cooler thing.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
My EXT has an underdeck storage box back by the hitch. It extends forward from the hitch about 15" and the spare tire is sandwiched between it and the generator. Do the later ones not have the underdeck storage? In some ads it is shown being used as a cooler - filled with ice and your favorite tailgating beverage. Bring lots of ice - it has ~ 20 ga sheet metal walls. There is a rubber drain plug at the bottom - apparently they are serious about that cooler thing.
TITUS - my 2018 does not have the underdeck storage. So my spare is butt up against the hitch, which makes it easier to remove and more room between it & gen. I still wonder to this date why they deleted this standard item. I wished that underdeck storage was still available. I was told by service folks it had to do with VB Air, as I saw the storage was still there on a 4x4 2017 (which at that time could not be ordered together with VB Air). But I do not know if that explanation is really true.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Correct... only non-VB Air had that storage.

Looks like plenty of space to work without having to remove spare... (humm, thinking outloud, I wonder if I should order one more TPMS sensor and install on the spare as well... just for kicks.. )

Mixed photos from before and after modifying generator exhaust pipe... but you can see the space available to work between gen and spare
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	317454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	317457  

Name:	IMG_2730.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	317459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	317460  

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
At least no storage well makes it easier to access the generator.

Is the rim of the spare actually usable in all three positions - rear inner, rear outer, front. It doesn't appear so by looking at it. If not, then having low air pressure on the spare may be irrelevant.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
At least no storage well makes it easier to access the generator.

Is the rim of the spare actually usable in all three positions - rear inner, rear outer, front. It doesn't appear so by looking at it. If not, then having low air pressure on the spare may be irrelevant.

Yes - on the 3500 Sprinter and most vehicles with dual rear tires the wheels will fit in any position. They are dished/offset to work on either front axle are either side of rear axle by flipping them to appropriate side.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote